• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HDMI 1.3...and so it begins.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ericbee
  • Start date Start date
I would love to bookmark this page like I did back in 2002 with the SACD discussions when I stated that SACD was dead and that it would never succeed. Of course there were people telling me I was a hater and that SACD would one day replace CD. Today they have the same crappy titles and technology that is superior but, dead in the water with essentially no new titles being released. I can only listen to Miles Davis "kind of blue" so many times.

There are similarities between the SACD discussions and the 1.3 discussions here. 1.3 is clearly superior but, this time I feel it WILL replace 1.2 and will eventually be the connector that all high end av equipment will use. I feel it allows for faster transmissions and is the only way to fully deliver the lossless audio that will eventually replace our current DD and DTS.

Sure, it is slow to arrive..all new replacement technology is but, be forewarned it will arrive and it will make everything we have obsolete, it is that far superior and not just a subtle upgrade. This is both a video upgrade with true color and billions of colors as well as true lossless surround audio upgrade all in one.

***paragraph removed***

***paragraph removed***
Audiokarma Forum Rules

Basic Rule:
Congeniality and No Attitude. Be nice, just like you would if you were a guest at someone else’s home. At AK, that’s exactly what you are.
Everyone on AK is entitled to their opinions. Even if you do not agree, be respectful of others opinions.

Moderation:
AK reserves the right to edit or remove any post. No public commentary on moderation decisions. Use Private Messages to an Administrator to comment, question or disagree.

At least the amps will hold their resale value.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ron: HD over the air (OTA) is a nightmare for just about everyone that uses it. You need an external antenna and then you need to have it pointed in exactly the right direction to get reception. Once you do get CBS (for example) you may not be able to get NBC, and then you have to reposition the antenna again to get that channel. And so on and so on.

As far as NYC is concerned, with all of the buildings and airwave transmissions bouncing off of buildings, we cannot get any channels and the HD we do get OTA is rarely better than the compressed crap via TWC or SAT.

Furthermore, very few buildings in manhattan will allow for antennas to be mounted on the building facades or terraces which eliminates all SAT and OTA reception all together.

So, while I am a videophile and demand the best image quality I can get, try not to get a kick out of the fact that all of us dont use the "best" quality OTA HD because many of us (or 13 million of us in the city) cant.
 
Eric,

That is unfortunate. If you have a good HD tuner it will work with a simple antenna. I have to say the Samsung HD tuners seem to outpull everything else by a wide margin. I use one and get 22 over the air HD stations using my 20 year old roof top antenna. Stations that are totally off axis from the antenna and barely come in analog are crystal clear in HD.You can buy the Samsung tuner for about $250 if you are using a monitor only system.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I don't think Ron-C ever said that they "wouldn't" do 1.3 or Blu and/or HD. All in due time.
 
exracer said:
Help us to understand why you are so defensive with this ? you got money on this or something?

Hi Guys,

Hope this is NOT going to be another aggressive discussion on this 1.3 thingy!:no:

Its all a constructive discussion .... OK? We all loved McIntosh and like Serge said, its gonna come ... sometime ... Lets shake ..... hands I mean !:banana: :banana: :banana:

Cheers! :thmbsp:
 
exracer said:
Help us to understand why you are so defensive with this ? you got money on this or something?

I would like to know the same thing,its like you have some kinda grudge against Mcintosh:scratch2: ,from the threads i read on all the sites Mcintosh owners ARE NOT climbing the walls waiting on HDMI 1.3,maybe a small group but as a whole most Mac owners are happy.

What is your motive:scratch2:
 
My only experience is with HDMI 1.1 and it hasn't been good. Two cable failures and a substandard picture quality that improved only when I went back to component. Now that isn't empirical and may be more of an indictment of Audioquest but it has certainly made me leary of blindly adopting HDMI. :thumbsdn:
 
ron-c said:
Taylode,

Blue Jeans works well. How often do you eat at Duarts?

Thanks,
Ron-C

I'll give them a try! Well I haven't actually moved there yet. The contractor is moving at a glacial pace. So far I think he's on pace to come in about 1 year behind schedule. But about Duarts I usually eat there every-time I'm out to the lot to check on progress. I guess I'm averaging about once or twice a month. I love their artichoke/green chili soup. Give me their sourdough bread and soup and I'm a happy man! :D
 
Dennis,

The oliberry pie is not to be missed as well as the chopinno on a Friday night. Their short bloody marys are the best in the area and the fdaily resh fish is always good. Duarts has a large garden where they grow their salad ingredients.
What was this location in the 1800s? The clue is the name of the road..

Tahnks,
Ron-C
 
Thanks Ron, I've tried most of what you've mentioned, especially the pie. :) I haven't had one of their bloody marys yet but will now!

If you mean the stage coach stop, I thought that was on the other side of the road a little farther north. If not, thats pretty cool. In fact, I think it's a pretty neat little town. For those who don't have a clue where we're talking about Pescadero is about 50 minutes south of San Francisco on the coast. And it's tiny, but has some interesting neighbors. One being Neil Young who lives in La Honda, just a few minutes away.
 
Pescadero which is town of the fisherman in Portuguese I believe. Yes Stage road was the first road down the coast and follows the contours of the hills. You can see a nice picture of the stage coach in the lobby of Duart's. I believe Pescadero was the first day stop on the trip from SF to LA..
Nice area to live in for sure. Very country. I have been eating breakfast / brunch at Duarts for the last 30 years. It is part of our Sunday morning bike ride.

Tahnks,
Ron-C
 
Back onto topic.....

Errrrr, I am using a single video rca cable about 40 feet long for my video connection to my projector. Does that make me foolish? :scratch2: :D
 
ron-c said:
Howie,

What format are you running in video? Composite, or something else.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Errr. Not sure what you mean.

DVD - video out rca - onkyo video in
Cable - video out rca - onkyo video2 in
Onkyo - video out rca - projector video rca in

My Onkyo doesn't even have component video in:D
I could run a HDMI from my Denon DVD 2930 to the Projector but my current HMDI is too short and I was trying to have only one video cable crossing my living room to the projector. My cable tv quality is seriously awful so it probably doesn't make any difference :no:

If I get a MX132, I guess I could go component (or digital out?) to MX132 from Denon and then to projector. Is it possible to go from MX132 component output to HDMI plug to projector? Would there be any point? I guess not.:scratch2:

howie
 
howiebrou said:
Errr. Not sure what you mean.

DVD - video out rca - onkyo video in
Cable - video out rca - onkyo video2 in
Onkyo - video out rca - projector video rca in

My Onkyo doesn't even have component video in:D
I could run a HDMI from my Denon DVD 2930 to the Projector but my current HMDI is too short and I was trying to have only one video cable crossing my living room to the projector. My cable tv quality is seriously awful so it probably doesn't make any difference :no:

If I get a MX132, I guess I could go component (or digital out?) to MX132 from Denon and then to projector. Is it possible to go from MX132 component output to HDMI plug to projector? Would there be any point? I guess not.:scratch2:

howie

Since your projector with the HDMI input, so the first choice is using the DVDP's HDMI out to the projector's HDMI input and you can order a custom made long length HDMI cable here, my mate ordered before, the result is good, 15M long costs about US$ 260 three years ago, the price perhaps has gone up a little now( I know you need a very very lengthy one for your living room :D ) , the 2nd choice is using the component out from your DVDP to the projector's component in, some latest AV AMPs do offer the video/component/HDMI to HDMI switch ( some with upscale feature too ), but wherever possible it's better connect the HDMI output from the source directly into the projector/LCD/Plasma & etc...

As your current RCA cable video connection, I would say...just forget it.:no: :D

Thomas
 
Back
Top Bottom