• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help ID’ing grandma’s turntable

Register to hide this ad
Looks like a Garrard SLX 1 or SLX 2, 1971 or 1972 or so.
That’s kind of the direction I was headed too… and if so, maybe not worth restoring? Opinion? I’ve yet to own aTT, and have been looking for the right buy. Would be a fun connection to my now passed grandma, but not interested if it’s not a decent table.
 
If I remember correctly, the SLX! was 49.95, the SLX 2 was 59.95
and the SLX 3 was 99.95, that is not a SLX 3.

The SLX1 used a ceramic cartridge and the SLX2 used a Shure Magnetic cartridge, M75 I think. if an SLX 2 it may be a good starter table, usually cleaning and lube is all they need. Rumble and W & F
were good for that class and the tonearm is very low mass so it works
well with th4e Shure Cartridge.
 
The mechanism/levers on the front right look like it was an auto-changer. A cheap+nasty rim-drive record player, esp. if it came with a ceramic cart. Better than a Crossly, but not greatly.
 
Looks like a Garrard of some type.

What tipped you off...?

Why not cruze Garrard tables on eBay and look for a match. You'll see the value of the table there in sold auctions once you determine the model, which I bet is on the back or bottom of the table. If your saving it for sentimental reasons then it's worth trying to restore otherwise... I wouldn't bother. Not a decent table.
 
Interesting one.

It’s not a Garrard SLX-3 as this had vertical control tabs like the Zero 100. The arm, over arm and cueing lever look most like a 2025TC to me but the control levers still aren’t quite right.

Mind you, I’m only really familiar with UK models - the USA got a lot of models that we didn’t get over here, including the SLX-3.
 
Looks a lot like an SL65 with Autoslim platter, control panel and levers.
SL65 with Autoslim platter-2.JPG SL65 with Autoslim platter-1.JPG
Or maybe an X-10
Screenshot_20211106-141528_Firefox.jpg
The more I look at it the more I think X-10
 
Last edited:
It looks like the Garrard which was my first tt. The drive mechanism was idler wheel driven. I had it for over 8 years and it just wouldn't die.
 
It’s almost embarrassing that Garrard devolved into this kinda turntable company.
It was probably this cheap turntable range that made the profit for the company that enabled them to keep a high-end product in their line.
When I began to learn about their higher-end turntables I was very surprised, because I had previously only associated them as being a manufacturer of cheap+nasty turntables.
 
Back
Top Bottom