• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Help! I'm lost. Need my first TT. VPI vintage?

Mawst95

New Member
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first TT. Want to play my dad's old motown records.

No preamp, will buy based on deck. Budget for TT and cartridge is no more than $1200. I like to tinker a bit but I don't want too much fuss.

I'm looking at an open box TT15S ($1150) music hall ikura ($799), Pioneer Plx-1000 plus whatever cartridge fits my budget.

Im also interested in a vintage VPI HW19 here: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-v-p-i-mk-3-platter-upgrade-2017-08-18-analog

There was a RP6 on audiogon that interested me: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/t...0-analog-735cfd70-7658-4f85-b467-bbe57a26143f

But I would need to have the Rega shipped. The VPI I could pick up.

Oh and I saw a Scout Jr. for $1100...

My head is spinning. The vintage VPI intrigues me but I have no idea what I'm doing. I read that the heavier platter requires additional tweaks. I don't know what to ask the seller. Demo'ing is not super feasible.

Thanks!

Edit to add: I read that the Denon DL-301MK2 would be good on the VPI HW19....
 
Register to hide this ad
The HW-19 is a superb table, and is the one I'd choose as well. Disclosure: I have one.
 
VPI HW-19 III. That's the one I would get from the ones you listed! Looks like the platter is from the Super Scoutmaster. Tonearm is an Audioquest PT-9 which is the top of the line in the PT series, which was made by Jelco. Is the same as the top of the line Jelco SA-750D, which is the s-shape version. Both have the fluid dampen option which gives cartridges better sound.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/audioquest/pt9.shtml
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your help. One other option would be a MMF 7.1 with my choice of cartridge up to about $450 from upscale audio. I'm guessing that wouldn't change people's opinion...
 
The HW-19 is a superb table, and is the one I'd choose as well. Disclosure: I have one.

Me too, well a Mk IV. The platter upgrade on the one for sale goes for about $600 by itself, so that deal seems to be a bargain. One thing to note for Mk IIIs and IVs is you are probably going to have some motor vibration. The dampening material used has pretty much flattened on most of these tables and adding a little duct seal to the base goes a long way. There are some excellent threads on these tables at Vinylengine and the VPI forum. Lots of good stuff on the motor and dampening techniques.
Good luck with your pursuit.
 
VPI HW19 and get a Sumiko Blue Point EVO III cartridge for it.

You also need to think about record cleaning supplies and how your going to wash them if needed, most the time it is.
 
VPI HW19 and get a Sumiko Blue Point EVO III cartridge for it.

You also need to think about record cleaning supplies and how your going to wash them if needed, most the time it is.

Thanks for the cartridge recommendation. Seems reasonable @$500 and gets nice reviews.
 
Thanks for the cartridge recommendation. Seems reasonable @$500 and gets nice reviews.
It is a cartridge you need to be very carful with as it has no guard, it sticks out like a point in front of the arm. Then it is also a nakid body that you don't want to touch the sides of to not damage it. So if you not a partier, don't have a wife or cleaning lady dusting it and kids playing with it you'll be fine.
 
Hi all,

Made an offer on the HW19 and the buyer will accept! I ended up having it shipped the 100 miles or so from my house. Asking price was $795, with shipping and 3% paypal fees we agreed on $830, which seemed fair. I'm nervous but it seems like its a good table. He said that the platter was in great condition, and that the motor runs silent.

As far as the blue point cartridge, do others agree with that? I'm fine going with 4-2-7's recommendation. The others I'm looking into are the dynavector 10x5, Denon DL-301mk2, and Hana EH?

As far as phono I'm thinking of the Vincent Pho-8.

Is there a good manual record cleaning starter pack? What else will I need. I used to make my own RCA interconnects and I still have a bunch laying around.
 
The Blue Point is a great cartridge as are all the others. With that arm you can't go wrong with any of them.
Which one comes down to personal preference and that's something you'll need to learn. I think the Blue Point is a great way to start that journey.
 
Regarding the Blue Point...does it matter high output or low output? I was thinking of getting the Phonomena II preamp.

Matt
 
Hi all,

Made an offer on the HW19 and the buyer will accept! I ended up having it shipped the 100 miles or so from my house. Asking price was $795, with shipping and 3% paypal fees we agreed on $830, which seemed fair. I'm nervous but it seems like its a good table. He said that the platter was in great condition, and that the motor runs silent.

As far as the blue point cartridge, do others agree with that? I'm fine going with 4-2-7's recommendation. The others I'm looking into are the dynavector 10x5, Denon DL-301mk2, and Hana EH?

As far as phono I'm thinking of the Vincent Pho-8.

Is there a good manual record cleaning starter pack? What else will I need. I used to make my own RCA interconnects and I still have a bunch laying around.

So, has your TT arrived yet? Let us know and pass along your cartridge/preamp selection
Good luck with your new TT.
 
So, has your TT arrived yet? Let us know and pass along your cartridge/preamp selection
Good luck with your new TT.

Yes! I received it Tuesday evening and spent from 7pm till midnight setting it up. Everything was in good condition as described. The back serial number actually said it was a HW-19 Mk 4 (not three). The TT has been modded so I'm not sure it makes much difference. Motor is DEAD silent. I put my ear against the wood base and can't even tell it's on. Platter looks in excellent condition. Took me a bit to figure out how the counterweight on the PT-9 tonearm works, but I figured it out.

Cartridge should arrive today or tomorrow. I was all set to go with the Blue Point Evo III as recommended, but it *just* sold out at the place I was going to buy it from, so I got a Hana EH instead. Also, turns out my receiver has a preamp stage build in (suitable for high output cartridges) so I'm going to set it up using that first, and then buy a preamp with my next paycheck:) I was going to purchase the Bugle 3.

I think that's it. Once I get the cartridge on, I'll send some pics.
 
Back
Top Bottom