• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help! I'm lost. Need my first TT. VPI vintage?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Haha, I cannot!

I can DIY some things (I made my own interconnects years ago) but I can't solder, sadly. And knowing myself this has rabbit hole written all of it.

Now if someone wants to do the assembly for me and earn some cash, let me know!
 
I'm using high end OPA's in this one. It's so damn good it gives you goose bumps. Almost all my gear is DIY
 
I'm using high end OPA's in this one. It's so damn good it gives you goose bumps. Almost all my gear is DIY

Wow. Okay heck, I love the idea of having something built by the members that helped me. So looking through that thread, there was a parts list here:
http://www.digikey.com/short/35wh82 though I read that the the 10nF capacitors on that page are wrong; they should be 100nF units instead. I found these: https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=237360163&uq=636398190724138833 and these: https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=237360184&uq=636398190724138833 Not sure which is correc.

Also I saw you and others like the 49990 op amps, but they are hard to source and need an adapter?

I'd certainly prefer to order the best components for the money (before hitting diminishing returns)
 
The 49990 are hard to source. Another option is Sparkos Labs OPA. Your last links didn't work for me. Also need a case and I have battery strap and holders.
 
Hi all-

Putting aside the preamp discussion for a second...

Cartridge (Hana EH) arrived yesterday. Attaching the cartridge went like this:
  • Spend 40 minutes leveling plinth and platter.
  • Open up cartridge package. Take out screws, small washer and cartridge.
  • Promptly drop one of the washers under the plinth.
  • Curse.
  • Attach cables
  • Attach cartridge to headshell
  • Realize I forgot to include the tonearm lift thingy
  • Unscrew cartridge. Add tonearm lift
  • Realize I installed tonearm lift upside down.
  • Curse.
  • Finally install it all correctly (I hope).
My VTA tool hadn't arrived yet so I printed one (the style begins with a B?). Realized why you need a mirror and magnifying glass. Aligned the two null points. Said "wow that wasn't hard" (which I assume means I'm not doing it right). The Hana's edges are angled so ensuring it's parallel at both null points wasn't really feasible. But I eye balled it:).

Next, set up VTF. Set it to 2 grams. Put on a record I bought (my first and only record currently). Started to lower the cartridge and it didn't lower straight. Thought, oh I think I need to set antiskate or something. Set that to "2" as well. Seemed to lower straighter. My Onkyo SR805 has a preamp so do we have music?

YES!

Oddly, I could hear faint music seemingly coming from the cartridge itself. Changed the AVR setting from "Stereo" to "Direct" and it went away.

Okay, HOLY CRAP IT SOUNDS GOOD!

I'm used to listening to Spotify via bluetooth. What crap. I had to crank up the volume pretty high. I recall reading that these receivers have a source-specific "Intellivolume" or something, so I set that to +6dB and it's perfect.

I am using makeshift interconnects and I didn't attach any grounding wires. However, zero noise, hum, vibration.....Nothing. Just music!
 
2 OPA, yes. The enclosure needs to be big enough to fit the batteries also with a bit of wiggle room for your fingers. Notice the unit in the above pic has a 6 bolt lid, approx 8" long. Batteries last quite a while, approx. 100hrs depending on OPA's.
 
Looks like you have a phono pre build going? If so, great. If not, you may want to consider the vista audio phono 2. I use it with the denon 301 mkii on my Scout. I think it sells for $400. I got mine at a discount from Boris.
 
Back
Top Bottom