• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help picking receiver

DMoreno

New Member
Hi, I currently have a choice between three receivers, all of which are similarly priced. A Kenwood KR-5400, a Realistic STA-2080, and a Hitachi HTA-4000.

I will mostly be using them with my Technics sl-d2 turntable but I will listen to FM radio some as well. The speakers I currently have are Technics SB-2760.

Any advice, recomendations, or experiences would be much appreciated. If you think it may be worth getting more than one of them I may consider that too.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
A lot of people like some Realistic models, that one seems well liked.
It also has twice the power of the other two you mentioned.
Here's a little info about the Realistic.
http://classicreceivers.com/realistic-sta-2080

It is vintage so best to make sure it is fully functional, also it may need service down the road, but that could be said for the other two as well.
 
Last edited:
Until I came to this site recently, I never even knew that Realistic made decent stuff.
Now this is like the fifth mention of it I've seen in just a few days.

realistic-sta-2080-vintage-am-fm-stereo-receiver-very-clean-601e3ab1aeabf2ec25600a6ff4072228.jpg


If it looks like that, I'd be interested myself. Really attractive.
 
Hopefully the Realistic isn't listed on CL/ebay for a great price, someone Googles it, sees this thread, and grabs it, while we wait for a response from the OP.
 
Loose lips sink ships! We had better start looking for it.


ETA: Found a couple expensive ones but apparently we're not allowed to discuss values or link to ads/auctions here, is that right?
 
Last edited:
That's right, would have to be in Dollars and Sense if it turns to value questions.
I didn't look real hard, found one on Dallas CL, and 2 or 3 on ebay.
Then tried searching Dallas for the other two...found one in a receiver/tt combo CL listing.
But the ones he's considering could be anywhere, thrift shop, pawn shop, Letgo, the neighbors wife third cousin, etc...
 
Thanks everyone for your replies. I settled on the STA-2080. But the other two I was able to get really cheap so I go them as well. Figured I could give one to my Dad and use one I another room.

I'll try and update with impressions and maybe pictures when I get a chance.
 
Thanks everyone for your replies. I settled on the STA-2080. But the other two I was able to get really cheap so I go them as well. Figured I could give one to my Dad and use one I another room.

I'll try and update with impressions and maybe pictures when I get a chance.

That's the spirit!!! :thumbsup:--get 'em all and then decide what works for YOU.
 
Hi, I currently have a choice between three receivers, all of which are similarly priced. A Kenwood KR-5400, a Realistic STA-2080, and a Hitachi HTA-4000.

I will mostly be using them with my Technics sl-d2 turntable but I will listen to FM radio some as well. The speakers I currently have are Technics SB-2760.

Any advice, recomendations, or experiences would be much appreciated. If you think it may be worth getting more than one of them I may consider that too.

Thanks
If choice is between vintage receivers and vintage separates, sonically, the separates will most often out-sound the receivers. I council a friend who was late to the "hobby" and whom was rolling through particularly older first Yamaha then later Pioneer receivers. When he got a higher end TT and a NOS AT-125LC this past Spring, he realized/finally heard the limitations in his receivers that had been obvious to me when I listened to his systems, such as weaker channel separation and restricted dynamics with larger floor standing speakers, for examples (I never said anything negative about his systems he just gleaned more was possible by hearing mine and other's systems). Around three months ago, my friend finally accepted my offer and I lent him a Luminous Audio passive preamp and a Hafler Transnova amp I have in custom made portable "high-end" rig - friend was floored using it with his TT (Kenwood KD-5070) and Kefs. A month later he acquired a Kenwood Basic 1 pre and power amps, is listening much more often after moving to separates while reporting that he is hearing more coming off his most familiar/favorite LPs than he previously could hear - and now is emailing me for my opinion of used speakers he is now looking to upgrade.

Start with the source and upgrade the chain downstream through to the speakers. Get the best TT/cart combo you can find and afford, then the preamp you like (hardest piece to determine what you want to live with) and finally the amp that gets your speakers to come alive. In my experience, the paramount to achieve the best sound are the preamp (whether separate or in a receiver) and the speakers - these two components will always be the limiter of what the system can achieve.
 
Back
Top Bottom