• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hi-fi News Review (1/8/21) - Yamaha C-2a/M-2 Pre/Power Amplifier

Register to hide this ad
Nice review. Good to see them still measuring well.

From review:
8 Ohms - Black
4 Ohms - Red
2 Ohms - Blue
1 Ohm - Green.
121yam.lab2.jpg

I've never done power measurements with mine but my M-2 got me through my 20s and beyond, never letting me down when I pushed it hard during parties, etc. For years I ran multiple pairs of Cerwin-Vega D-9 speakers and then multiple pairs of vintage JBLs. It never skipped a beat when powering the multiple pairs simultaneously, so the fact that it measures well with lower impedance loads is not surprising at all.

I am sort of surprised that the review really pairs the M-2 with the C-2a almost like they were an exclusive combo or something. One of the great features of separates is the ability to mix and match. Most people I have heard from who actually purchased their M-2 new paired it up with a C-4, not a C-2a. The C-4 has a lot more options, if you're not attracted to the relative simplicity of the C-2a. I run my M-2 with a C-80 now. I liked the C-4 but the inverted pre-outs and variable loudness on the C-80 are game-changers for me that I would have a difficult time living without at this point. It would have been very interesting to see what impact using inverted pre-outs would have had on the power output measurements that they made from the M-2. The ability to run one channel inverted should result in increased power output in most cases.
 
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
I am not surprised how the 70s gear (when properly serviced) fairs against newer gear.
I do have a couple of observations about the article:
First, the vfet technology did not fail out of favor...it was just to expensive to produce and the economics have a way of getting in front of engineering when finance is a primary goal. The Vfet technology thrived when money was no object and when the Japanese needed to establish their footprint in the audio industry. Making one transistor type and model to be solely used in only one model unit, is not exactly economical...nor sustainable. The author sort of touched on this...but his point was blurry.

Second, yes the mosfet killed the vfet but not because it was a better audio device, but because of cost to produce. To this point the author is on the money. However, the segway from calling out the advancements of mosfets into the use of BJTs in the Yamaha DUTs, was a bit crude.
Otherwise the article is a nice read. Thanks for sharing.
 
I am sort of surprised that the review really pairs the M-2 with the C-2a almost like they were an exclusive combo or something. One of the great features of separates is the ability to mix and match. Most people I have heard from who actually purchased their M-2 new paired it up with a C-4, not a C-2a. The C-4 has a lot more options, if you're not attracted to the relative simplicity of the C-2a.

If you look at the brochures of the time, the C-2/C-2a were paired with the M-2 and the C-4 with the M-4. As I understand it, the C-2a is a better preamp than the C-4 as well, although I've not tried the latter.

Most importantly, though, the C-2a and M-2 were what I owned and so what went in for review. I had to justify this somehow! ;)
 
Nice review. Good to see them still measuring well.

From review:
8 Ohms - Black
4 Ohms - Red
2 Ohms - Blue
1 Ohm - Green.
View attachment 2402712

I've never done power measurements with mine but my M-2 got me through my 20s and beyond, never letting me down when I pushed it hard during parties, etc. For years I ran multiple pairs of Cerwin-Vega D-9 speakers and then multiple pairs of vintage JBLs. It never skipped a beat when powering the multiple pairs simultaneously, so the fact that it measures well with lower impedance loads is not surprising at all.

I am sort of surprised that the review really pairs the M-2 with the C-2a almost like they were an exclusive combo or something. One of the great features of separates is the ability to mix and match. Most people I have heard from who actually purchased their M-2 new paired it up with a C-4, not a C-2a. The C-4 has a lot more options, if you're not attracted to the relative simplicity of the C-2a. I run my M-2 with a C-80 now. I liked the C-4 but the inverted pre-outs and variable loudness on the C-80 are game-changers for me that I would have a difficult time living without at this point. It would have been very interesting to see what impact using inverted pre-outs would have had on the power output measurements that they made from the M-2. The ability to run one channel inverted should result in increased power output in most cases.

I have a C-2x and a C-2 but have not heard a C-2a. When I mix and match the C-4 with my other amps it never sounds quite right, never quite fits. However, when paired with the B-5 (Japan M-2) there is a certain kind of magic. It just sounds right. If the C-4 had adjustable loading & gain for lomc carts, it might be all you need until you step up to the next level.
 
If you look at the brochures of the time, the C-2/C-2a were paired with the M-2 and the C-4 with the M-4. As I understand it, the C-2a is a better preamp than the C-4 as well, although I've not tried the latter.

Most importantly, though, the C-2a and M-2 were what I owned and so what went in for review. I had to justify this somehow! ;)
So these were your units used for the review? What happened to make the control amp blow up?
 
So these were your units used for the review? What happened to make the control amp blow up?

They were indeed and I wish I knew what happened! I was merrily listening to a record when all of a sudden there was a loud bang in the left channel followed by white noise and a hideous scratching sound if the volume control was moved in either direction.
 
They were indeed and I wish I knew what happened! I was merrily listening to a record when all of a sudden there was a loud bang in the left channel followed by white noise and a hideous scratching sound if the volume control was moved in either direction.
Dang, that's too bad. I'm only an amateur tech, but the bang was probably a cap exploding. I have experienced that once, was surprising loud.
 
When, and if, you like to renew M2, first replace with better binding posts and better wires (don't go cheap) between the posts and the output board. One will be pleasantly surprised.
 
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
I am not surprised how the 70s gear (when properly serviced) fairs against newer gear.
I do have a couple of observations about the article:
First, the vfet technology did not fail out of favor...it was just to expensive to produce and the economics have a way of getting in front of engineering when finance is a primary goal. The Vfet technology thrived when money was no object and when the Japanese needed to establish their footprint in the audio industry. Making one transistor type and model to be solely used in only one model unit, is not exactly economical...nor sustainable. The author sort of touched on this...but his point was blurry.

Second, yes the mosfet killed the vfet but not because it was a better audio device, but because of cost to produce. To this point the author is on the money. However, the segway from calling out the advancements of mosfets into the use of BJTs in the Yamaha DUTs, was a bit crude.
Otherwise the article is a nice read. Thanks for sharing.
TOO expensive...
 
Back
Top Bottom