• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hi-Fi speaker for a really nice Fisher 500b...

jonnyr

New Member
Hey everyone! First post on AudioKarma here but I've been getting advice from the forum for years!

I had previously been using a Pioneer QX-747 quad amp with a set of B&W 600 s2's & a pair of JBL LX-55's (each hooked up to its own channel since there are four). I have two Technics MK2's and I was running it all through a little Omnitronix TRM-202-mk3 mixer. The sound was great and the set up was easy/a lot of fun, but definitely not audiophile grade.

I have recently just purchased a mint Fisher 500b and am loving it so much so far. I have one of the Technics plugged directly into the phono and I'm not using a mixer right now. The end goal is to hook up a Condesa Lucia mixer (quite a hi-fi mixer) to get both TT's going again, especially because I DJ some house, disco, and funk around NYC and want to practice at home. BUT...

While the sound from the Fisher to the two sets of speakers listed above is amazing, I'm looking to get a pair of some vintage hifi speakers to be the sole pair that this thing powers. Any recommendations? I'm looking at AR3/AR3a's, Klipsch Heresy's, and a bunch of other speakers but would love to hear thoughts on what would pair best with the Fisher. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
There are a huge number of vintage speakers you could use, and the two you cite may not be ideal choices. The AR 3 and 3a require significant power and are very expensive, so you would be paying a lot for what might be a less dynamic and controlled sound than you want. And the Heresys have no deep base at all- with a quality subwoofer, they can sound very good, but without, they are unbalanced. And with a subwoofer, many speakers can sound very good, and cost much less.
I think you should look at Bozaks and Wharfedales, but if you are DJing, moving large boxes around can be a problem.
A larger problem is what sort of volume you need for DJing. I assume lots of volume, and a tube receiver may not be the ideal choice for headbanging, regardless of the supposed advantage of tube watts.
 
Klipsch or JBL! Whatever you find locally for a good price. JBL often has really good sales around Thanksgiving time, if you want new.
 
Thanks all - really appreciate the responses! I also got a couple direct messages with some helpful advice. I guess to give a bit more context: I listen to all genres, mostly rock, jazz, reggae, funk, folk, punk, etc. I also DJ house and disco around NYC and practice a bunch at home (my fiance loves it :) ). I would never be moving speakers for any DJ gigs, I typically bring my mixer and needles and hook up to the sound system at the club or bar where I'm performing, so no stress in moving the speakers around!

Based on some feedback I got, I'm looking to try and snag a pair of JBL L100's or something similar! I've heard and read great things about the L100's. I was wondering, since my budget for speakers will be around $1,000, is there a major difference between buying the L100's new from JBL (they're like $4k) and the vintage ones (probably will buy through Facebook marketplace if I can be patient and find a good pair for around $1k)? If the older ones in good condition still have great sound, I will definitely look to get the older ones. @absolve2525 how big of sales are we talking? :)
 
Thanks all - really appreciate the responses! I also got a couple direct messages with some helpful advice. I guess to give a bit more context: I listen to all genres, mostly rock, jazz, reggae, funk, folk, punk, etc. I also DJ house and disco around NYC and practice a bunch at home (my fiance loves it :) ). I would never be moving speakers for any DJ gigs, I typically bring my mixer and needles and hook up to the sound system at the club or bar where I'm performing, so no stress in moving the speakers around!

Based on some feedback I got, I'm looking to try and snag a pair of JBL L100's or something similar! I've heard and read great things about the L100's. I was wondering, since my budget for speakers will be around $1,000, is there a major difference between buying the L100's new from JBL (they're like $4k) and the vintage ones (probably will buy through Facebook marketplace if I can be patient and find a good pair for around $1k)? If the older ones in good condition still have great sound, I will definitely look to get the older ones. @absolve2525 how big of sales are we talking? :)
I have seen their tower speakers on sale for half-off or close to it, with free shipping. A lot of Akers bought their last line of speakers at really good prices.
 
Based on some feedback I got, I'm looking to try and snag a pair of JBL L100's or something similar! I've heard and read great things about the L100's. I was wondering, since my budget for speakers will be around $1,000, is there a major difference between buying the L100's new from JBL (they're like $4k) and the vintage ones (probably will buy through Facebook marketplace if I can be patient and find a good pair for around $1k)? If the older ones in good condition still have great sound, I will definitely look to get the older ones. @absolve2525 how big of sales are we talking? :)
I have a 500C that I was considering selling because it simply was not sounding great with any of my vintage speakers, including the L100. I then found a pair of Klipsch Forte II for a reasonable price and considered flipping them for a quick profit. But, after listening to them powered by the Fisher 500C, I am selling neither. The combination is so sweet and nothing like I have heard up until that point.

The L100, which are my least favorite JBL's, only sound reasonably good with high quality solid state amps and a clean source.
 
Last edited:
You want an efficient speaker from that era.

As my profile picture suggests...I run Wharfedale W70C's with my HH Scott 340B (A compeditor of the Fisher 500 series) and they sound amazing.

You can get a pair of those for under $400. Other not as expensive models as L100's are KLH model 6 or 5's, really any Klipsch speakers because they were all very efficient, Chorus would be a good pair to look for, or as mentioned Forte II's. If you want big money and that huge sound stage look for Altec Voice of the Theater or Model 19's, but those go for thousands.

Stay away from speakers in the power wars era like Vandersteens or B&W, they usually require high wattage amps.
 
Yeah - the L100s do look cool as hell if the grills are in good shape, which is not at all assured. But as a loudspeaker they are hardly worth the premium you have to pay for that coolness, and for the JBL name. They sound good on rock and jazz, but aren't super great on other kinds of music.
 
I had one of those Fishers about 20 years ago and used Altec 890C Boleros with it. Excellent sound, the 890C is a fairly sensitive speaker specifically designed to have the sound signature of the big Altecs such as 604s, Valencias, VOTs and such but in a much smaller package. A very special "small" speaker. I also used Klipsch Heresies with the amp until I got the Altecs which had far better tone.

IMG_3415.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom