• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hi Guys! Want To See A Mess?

I don't know where to start with these preamps but I did order some fresh caps
and they should be here tomorrow, I still like to know what's causing the thumping
when I turn the bass control back and forth?
 
Last edited:
So how does one tell if a pot has carbon contacts? Is carbon the norm for some items? Or Faderlube works on both so can be considered universal?

I use DeOxit on push button switches since they have metal contacts inside, and on function switches where you can see metal contacts rotating. Function selector AM/FM/Phono/etc. are normally metal contacts.

If it's closed and I can't tell what's inside, I figure it's better to use F5. So volume, tone, balance I'm calling carbon pots unless I see otherwise.

I'm no expert and was wrong once, this is just what I do.
 
Fixed it, someone above said to check the connections in the rear when I started playing with the
EXT Patch socket's the left channel came right on and it play's. I put in the new bi-polar caps believe
it or not Mouser and Digikey were out of the 470uf 25volt caps so I found them on Amazon and are fine,
otherwise I do a bit more cleaning and cap changes on both units. I wonder were I could find some of
those u shape plugs?, I need them for the other preamp.
 
Thank you rickl, I found out playing it this afternoon it really sounds great plus I hooked up the
ground wire from my Sota turntable and Rega arm combo that I don't have to use the ground
wire there's less hum without it which is odd???
 
Hi all,
New question, there are two ceramic disc capacitor's .1uf 25 volt in the output
section would it be better to put in a pair of Wima .1uf 100v or is it over kill?
 
I would have made a few recordings before removing the parts to later compare them with the results of removing those pieces. It looks like someone went to a lot of work and perhaps was on to something. Did you ever give it a chance in the prior configuration?
 
I purchased another one and it was not modded and all original I'm working on that now, the other
one will be for parts or I'll restore it. I did try the first one out once when I removed the extra caps and
it did work and sounded nice but needs upgrading, the question I asked above was for the new one.
 
I did a little work (well not a little), I took out the bass control and removed the front section and clean
and sprayed a bit of Faderlube into it and while it's smooth now it still makes a thumping noise though
the speakers, not sure if it's only though the left only but it's still there any idea's?. I replaced all the
electrolytic's and still there. The second one I purchased I replaced the electrolytic's and all is fine with
it in time might change out the old poly caps in there with newer caps (poly) but I doing another project
now so that's on hold, any help with the thumping would be great.
 
Back
Top Bottom