• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hitachi HA 610 Recap - Elna Silmic vs Nichicon Gold?

Prior to the recap it was a little dull and not "lively". When I first got it (about 3 weeks ago) I thought my Hitachi SR 603 sounded better. After the recap, it was better and seems to be getting better the more I listen to it. At this point it sounds better than the SR 603, with a little bit better channel separation and soundstage. I think the caps were just old and out of spec because dull is definitely not what Hitachi's late 70s stuff is supposed to sound like. I only replaced the Electolytics, I probably will not replace the fusible resistors. I'm glad I replaced the caps as there were quiet a few questionable looking caps. I see your in Saskatchewan, I'm not sure where you purchase your caps but I could send you my Mouser project that has all the Electrolytics that I ordered if you would like.

It took me about 9hrs here and there over the course of three days, but I took my time to make sure polarity and values were in the right spots. I like little projects, so yes I think it was worth it.

Totally agree that dull is not Hitachi's sound signature, to me the best description I can think of would be "clean" or maybe "neutral", not colored or muddied at all - it just lets the music be what it is. I hope yours keeps getting better as the caps break in. Its nice when youre listening to a piece of music youve heard 50 times before, and hearing bits and pieces you never knew was there. Putting in 9 hours isnt too bad an investment to insure youre getting the best you can from the amp, plus knowing it should be healthy for quite a while to come.

I appreciate the offer of your project file, Mouser would probably be where I would order from also, just the Canadian version. I will send you a pm.
 
Back
Top Bottom