• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HK 730 mated with Large Advents?

progger7

Active Member
I'm wondering if anyone has mated Large Advents with Harman Kardon X30 series: 330, 430, 630, 730, etc. I'm considering a 730 which is 45 wpc and have Large Advents as an option to mate with it. THoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
should

I would call it a good mate.
Assuming the speakers are working properly and the receiver is good.
I haven't actually done that, but the LA work well and the H/K should be great on there.

If its cheap, hell yes!
 
You might find that that is going to be a good match. To me, the tweeters on the Large Advents can sound rather harsh on some material, especially as the volume goes up. (Keep in mind that I play mine in a "hard" room.) I tried several receivers with my "stacked" two pair of OLAs before I found what I think is a very good match with the Nikko NR-xx15 series of receivers - more specifically the NR-815 (55wpc). There is just something about the nature of the "smooth" sound from this series of Nikkos that mates well with those Advent tweeters.

I have never had the opportunity to try the series of HKs you mentioned with my Advents. But I have read that some like to pair those x30 HKs with some Klipsch speakers that can sometimes trend toward forward or bright. But I've found that pairing receivers to speakers just by what some say on the web is tricky. I think there are often just too many variables, like our individual ears and tastes, different music sources, effects from the room, etc.

Hopefully someone will come along here with some more specific info. Good luck, and if you do try them together, please let us know how you think they sound.
 
Should be a reasonable match. A pair of Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7 or Model 10 ("Monitor 7" or "Monitor 10") would be even better. The hk 430 and 730 (in good tune) are excellent sounding massmarket solid state receivers - head and shoulders above most of their contemporary competition in terms of sound quality IMNSHO. Indeed, these are among the very few 1970s Japanese ss components that can sound good on Klipsch Heritage loudspeakers... most will be more or less unbearably shrill on, say, a pair of vintage Cornwalls (my NSHO, and other folks' too).

whatmore.jpg


(OK that's an hk 430 in the Gordon-Miller Music ad; the hk 730 would be swell, too... but it was considerably more expensive back in 1977 or so)
 
I'd sure like to hear a Model 7 or 10 with my Nikko someday. They pop up around here every once in awhile but are usually either overpriced or get snapped up really fast.

Whoops, a bit of thread hijack here.
 
I bought a 430 3-4 years ago for like 40$ in near mint at a radio swap. My brother already had a pair of reissue large Advents that I had purchased for him much earlier. I forget they might have been 25th anniv. specials or something along those lines. I hooked up the HK to them and now it is a secondary system in his living room that is usually not occupied anyway. Sounds alright to me for a not super large room. Spkrs have that tweeter switch on the back so you can change the sound a bit. I gave him some big JBLs for an Onkyo black face system he already had too. And some off the wall brand towers with fine cabinet quality, anyway, to use with a big RS receiver I gave him. Also gave him a Pioneer rx and he used it as a garage system till he blew it up. But in any case the HK 430 runs fine with the Advents from what I can tell.
 
Back
Top Bottom