• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How can a turntable influence the sound quality?

I really do believe you're just trying to understand, so I'll give it a shot. I'll also say up front that I haven't read through all 6 pages of this thread, so apologies if I'm repeating what's already been said. FWIW, I agree with you to a point. Let's assume we're comparing two tables that both have accurate speed with zero fluctuation. I think what you're missing is that the table also acts as a platform for the arm and cart, and that matters for a couple different reasons. First, the platform must be a solid base that isolates the arm and cart from outside influences. Second, the platform must not introduce any influences of its own. That's not easy, since it must have a motor. These things seem small enough to be trivial until you understand that the amplitude of the waves being produced at the stylus level is microscopic. That's important, and I suspect this is where your logic is breaking down. At such small amplitudes, everything matters. Imagine trying to hit a golf ball during an earthquake. If your arm and cart don't have a solid base, that slop makes accurate reproduction difficult. And if your table introduces its own noise in the form of motor noise, etc. (and they almost all do to some extent), the result is not only the original noise. That's why people keep trying to tell you about resonance. Let's say your motor introduces a low level 60Hz hum - one that you may not even be able to hear. That in turn affects the way your stylus (remember - moving microscopic distances very quickly) reproduces mainly multiples of 60Hz, but also many other frequencies, augmenting some and cancelling others. That can clearly change the sound coming out of your speakers. Now apply this to not only motor noise, but any and all noises and resonances transferring through your table, all at the same time, and hopefully you'll see why it matters.
 
Agreed, but let's look at this realistically. The reason so many look here to AK for answers is the amount of collected knowledge AND experience. So when a question is posed and the preponderance of answers are A then most likely A is true, even if A is solely based on the collective personal experiences here.

If someone is unable to accept that, is the answer to start another thread in hopes they will eventually get the answer they wanted even if the answers is incorrect?

I don't know exactly what the OP is looking to hear. Is it even music? Lol
 
Some turntables are better made than others, the less they add to what is modulated in the groove is what is the goal of most good turntables. The goal of only picking up what is in the groove and nothing else is a bit more difficult than what it would seem to be, as every aspect of the turntable has a part which can add some unwanted noise, or miss what is in the groove, into the final output. .

But he would need to own a turntable to hear anything.
 
No but just saying it's true without explainige how it works seems kinda weird but again somebody else has already answered the question
Some things are difficult, sometimes impossible to quantify. Just trust your ears.

BTW, your name wouldn't happen to be Thomas, would it?
 
Thought it was pretty clear but if not sorry ! No I don't not yet atleast.
I don’t assume so no it wasn’t clear you owned one , until the question was answered I didn’t assume anything until the question was answered and I knew if you did or didn’t . Since it’s taken you 7 pages to answer one simple question that could help many with the question you were asking I’m going to chalk this up to you just like to go against the grain so with that I’m done wasting my time here . Good luck .

Audiofreak71
 
I guess this tread can be closed now thanks to everyone for your replies. Not sure if I need t

not sure what you mean. I am not a troll it might same obvious to you but I actually didn't understand I understand it way better now so I am glad I made this tread. I am new to turntables and vintage audio in general so I don't know a lot about turntables .

Vintage and TT's have nothing to do with each other. TT's are currently being made in a variety of price ranges. So are receivers and integrated amplifiers.
OTOH: The old TOTL two channel receivers are for the most part no longer being made.

I'll ask the same question others have asked. Do you own a TT? If you do what is it.? If not why are you asking?
 
Last edited:
Vintage and TT's have nothing to do with each other. TT's are currently being made in a variety of price ranges. So are receivers and integrated amplifiers.
OTOH: The old TOTL two channel receivers are for the most part no longer being made.

I'll ask the same question others have asked. Do you own a TT? If you do what is it.? If not why are you asking?

He finally answered that he doesn't have one.
 
I think we've seen this guy before. Joins with a new name... stirs the pot a bit... gets banned or leaves then joins under a new name. Just speculation on my part. Last time was in the the Tape forum I believe. Who knows I could be :crazy:...
 
Back
Top Bottom