• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How can a turntable influence the sound quality?

To breath.
Yes. just reading a thread on idler wheel TT's. Having owned a couple I know of the wow&flutter they produce. In my case the wheel was leaving residue on inside wall under the platter. I would have to clean it off with alcohol, wipe the wheel down and it was better for a time but this brought to mind one of your posts in this thread. Getting into details on platters and matts and how they can resonate thru to the stylus to enable high frequency into the music. I had not considered heavier platters like on a Technics SP vs any typical Dual or what have you. On there being much effect to the music but, If the wheel can add rumble, it stands to reason turntable platter feedback theory, holds air.
 
Well that explains a lot , thanks for the link , my suspicions were correct . One thing to be honest and humble but another to just stir the pot to sit back and watch it boil .

Audiofreak71
No idea why you would get that idea after all this thread actually helped me understand it better as mentioned in the other thread
 
Originally the other thread was for something else but since I got an answer to that fairly wuicqui it turned to the same question

Actually you never accepted any explanation to your query in the other thread, most likely why you tried asking it a bit differently in a second thread.

If hoping to hear what you're preconceived answer is in an effort to prove your thinking correct then maybe you should ask yourself why you're unable to accept the fact your thinking on this is mistaken.

The type of drive system employed does have an affect on SQ, plain and simple.

Until you've owned at least one table you have no idea how any of the drive systems work, get back to us after you get your first, whichever drive system you decide on. I suggest purchasing new, you'll need the warranty.
 
Last edited:
Actually you never accepted any explanation to your query in the other thread, most likely why you tried asking it a bit differently in a second thread.

If hoping to hear what you're preconceived answer is in an effort to prove your thinking correct then maybe you should ask yourself why you're unable to accept the fact your thinking on this is mistaken.

The type of drive system employed does have an affect on SQ, plain and simple.
I jsju didn't understand what they meant betore never said any explanation was wrong. If you scroll up in this thread you should see the post by hifiler that I replied to that is what helped me better understand it (and everyone else ofcourse) and if you read the idler thread it's pretty clear that the original question was answered pretty fast.
 
I jsju didn't understand what they meant betore never said any explanation was wrong. If you scroll up in this thread you should see the post by hifiler that I replied to that is what helped me better understand it (and everyone else ofcourse) and if you read the idler thread it's pretty clear that the original question was answered pretty fast.

Then why were you still pushing your misinformed preconceptions 6 pages later? Again, I see no change, only someone that won't accept answers as you've already decided you know the answer and are just trolling.
 
Then why were you still pushing your misinformed preconceptions 6 pages later? Again, I see no change, only someone that won't accept answers as you've already decided you know the answer and are just trolling.
The original question of why the original idler drives are well liked it was answered but I didn't understand why that was the reason as I would have found it weird for that to have any impact on sound. Doesn't mean that the original question wasn't answered I just didn't understand the answer.
 
So if you use a decent turntable and the same arm and cartridge shouldn't the sound always be about the same even when you use a different turntable?
Nope. When I moved my SME M2-9/Soundsmith Aida from my Thorens TD-160 to my Sota Star, immediate and dramatic improvement. Believe me, the turntable matters.
 
That's the problem, he won't believe you without some sort of written mathematical proof from Einstein, your personal experiences are meaningless.
No but just saying it's true without explainige how it works seems kinda weird but again somebody else has already answered the question
 
My impression is that the OP is an objective camp person and is pushing for objective answers. Most people here can't provide test data to show the differences between tables and equate that to differences in sound. So we have theories, vague truths, and subjective opinions.

I for one am fine with being a subjectivist because I do not have test equipment, engineering education, intimate knowledge of turntable design, knowledge of testing procedures, knowledge of how to properly interpret the results, etc.

So based on the assumption that the OP doesn't have the ability to measure and interpret the proper data to get definitive answers to their questions, I suggested that s/he get a turntable (or in my case, a dozen) to play with and make up their own mind based on what they hear.

In the end that's all most of us here can do, experience and offer opinions based on our own perceptions. I think the trick is to not present our own personal opinions as incontrovertible facts and to respect what others think.
 
My impression is that the OP is an objective camp person and is pushing for objective answers. Most people here can't provide test data to show the differences between tables and equate that to differences in sound. So we have theories, vague truths, and subjective opinions.

I for one am fine with being a subjectivist because I do not have test equipment, engineering education, intimate knowledge of turntable design, knowledge of testing procedures, knowledge of how to properly interpret the results, etc.

So based on the assumption that the OP doesn't have the ability to measure and interpret the proper data to get definitive answers to their questions, I suggested that s/he get a turntable (or in my case, a dozen) to play with and make up their own mind based on what they hear.

In the end that's all most of us here can do, experience and offer opinions based on our own perceptions. I think the trick is to not present our own personal opinions as incontrovertible facts and to respect what others think.

In my experience, Most people in the objective camp won’t consider a turntable since they “know” CD is technically superior and therefore always sound best with less hassle.

Anyway, the “hassle” is part of the fun for me.
 
My impression is that the OP is an objective camp person and is pushing for objective answers. Most people here can't provide test data to show the differences between tables and equate that to differences in sound. So we have theories, vague truths, and subjective opinions.

I for one am fine with being a subjectivist because I do not have test equipment, engineering education, intimate knowledge of turntable design, knowledge of testing procedures, knowledge of how to properly interpret the results, etc.

So based on the assumption that the OP doesn't have the ability to measure and interpret the proper data to get definitive answers to their questions, I suggested that s/he get a turntable (or in my case, a dozen) to play with and make up their own mind based on what they hear.

In the end that's all most of us here can do, experience and offer opinions based on our own perceptions. I think the trick is to not present our own personal opinions as incontrovertible facts and to respect what others think.

Agreed, but let's look at this realistically. The reason so many look here to AK for answers is the amount of collected knowledge AND experience. So when a question is posed and the preponderance of answers are A then most likely A is true, even if A is solely based on the collective personal experiences here.

If someone is unable to accept that, is the answer to start another thread in hopes they will eventually get the answer they wanted even if the answers is incorrect?
 
I live in Europe The Netherlands I doubt many people on here are from around here

There are probably some, but I know for sure there are many contributors from the Netherlands over at Lenco Heaven. Lots of discussion on drive types over there (Lencos being idler drive tables).

And my last name has three parts, the first of them being ‘Van’ :)
 
In my experience, Most people in the objective camp won’t consider a turntable since they “know” CD is technically superior and therefore always sound best with less hassle.

Anyway, the “hassle” is part of the fun for me.


That was an odd experience. I think people listen to music because it´s fun, not depending on sound quality. If so much popular music would not have been listened to at all.
 
Back
Top Bottom