• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Demanding A Listener Are You?

I know what I like. It does not matter what the brand is, what it looks like, what it costs. If the piece meets my preference, I am happy.
 
I would say it's best described as a two-axis graph illustrating an X; System Quality on one axis, Musical quality on the other.
Good music on a great system being the best (top right corner of the graph)
Bad music on a terrible system being the worst (bottom left corner of the graph)

In short, bad music on a good system gets about the same level of appreciation as good music on a really bad system (I am willing to suffer the consequences of sabotaging the playback).

The center of the chart is a virtual no-man's land of intolerable mediocrity. Air Supply on a shelf-system.

Immediately surrounding this central zone is the guilty-pleasure aureola of nostalgic enthrallment. This zone has a limited ability to be understood subjectively, but the phenomena has deep roots in the objective realm: i.e: "Frampton Comes Alive" played on an 8 track from a 70's Camaro or Mustang Mach One may produce waves of pleasure and simultaneous embarrassment ( "I love this, but I hope no one I know sees me enjoying it"); Foreigner "Feels Like The First Time" played back on a Sony Walkman cassette player ( "This sounds great, but I hope I'm not making an obvious groove-face").

So yeah... I'm real picky until the music sucks, unless it's my sucky music, because then it's great. Even if it isn't.
 
Last edited:
ea4b4096a81f31cfc4e7639712d86644.gif
 
I've found myself writing of other various AKers (and thinking the same about many of you) that this specific member is a more demanding listener than I am. Compared to some of you I'm just a piker. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to speakers. Not that picky at all.

Hal,

When it comes to "musical reproduction gear" (i.e., that junk referred to as "systems" around this joint), I am a very forgiving "listener".

Conversely, I am extremely picky when it comes to the actual music, i.e., choosing the material I'll listen to more than once. I'll give (almost) anything @ least "one try", but there's a helluva lotta musical material in that pile re: I've hear it once and never again. Now, when I hear material I genuinely like, and not merley "appreciate", I can listen to it again and again and for years without ever experiencing so-called "fatigue".
 
Back
Top Bottom