• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How does H-D stay relevant in a changing market?

My VTX 1800F was close to Screaming Eagle 3 off the floor, I put a 1200 rear end on it to raise the ratio for interstate and better shift points. I really enjoyed it while I could handle it.

Yeah that was a nice bike and I did look at one when I was looking into the Goldwing but it reminded me of a sportier bike and being the adrenaline junky I used to be, read V65 magna, yeah I owned one and drove it just like in the video. I needed to get on a bike that forced me to ride with more decency if you will. Interestly they rated the VTX 1800F an 1800 but was actually 1795cc whereas my wing is rated as an 1800 but is actually 1832cc and I think the new wing is 1834? I've grown rather found of the bigger bikes as I've gotten older.
I'm not sure how long I'll be able to ride the wing as 60 is but a short distance away for me. I practice lifting her up off her side every spring just remind me how heavy she is. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Yeah that was a nice bike and I did look at one when I was looking into the Goldwing but it reminded me of a sportier bike and being the adrenaline junky I used to be, read V65 magna, yeah I owned one and drove it just like in the video. I needed to get on a bike that forced me to ride with more decency if you will. Interestly they rated the VTX 1800F an 1800 but was actually 1795cc whereas my wing is rated as an 1800 but is actually 1832cc and I think the new wing is 1834? I've grown rather found of the bigger bikes as I've gotten older.
I'm not sure how long I'll be able to ride the wing as 60 is but a short distance away for me. I practice lifting her up off her side every spring just remind me how heavy she is. :biggrin:
I had the V-65 Sabre, the fastest I've owned. It wants a rider with a long inseam, think ideal BMW rider. My legs not so much, a very un-HD ride. The big VTX was a much better fit.
 
I had the V-65 Sabre, the fastest I've owned. It wants a rider with a long inseam, think ideal BMW rider. My legs not so much, a very un-HD ride. The big VTX was a much better fit.

So you know exactly what I'm talking about because the Sabre was the very same motor. The only difference was the Sabre was a better handler than the Magna which was much more top heavy in it's design and the V65 Interceptor was the best handler and fastest because of frame design and weight difference. Basically the V65 Magna was built as a boulevard blaster designed to rip your facial skin back going stop light to stop light. I ate up many Suzuki GS1100s and Honda CBX 6 cyl with mine. I did get my ass handed to me one night by a vmax, after that I became a bit more selective before opening the throttle.

Liquid cooled, 67cu.in. DOHC 90° v4, 4 valves per cyl, 4 carb, 116bhp, 70 lb⋅ft shaft drive, 0 to 60 in just a tick over 3 sec. And to top it all off...assembled at Marysville, Ohio in the good-ole USA, in the same plant that did the VTX1800 and the Goldwings...what's not to like? I paid just under 5k for everything on mine, tax, licence, dealer prep, etc. I'm really surprized at that time that Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and especially Honda didn't just bury Harley as H-D was clearly behind times when it came to motorcycle technology then.

I cranked on mine one day and did 110mph in roughly 4.5 sec in 3rd gear and still had 3 more gears to go. I was told by the salesman the day I took delivery of my V65 to drive very carefully as most new V65 owners ended up dead before their 1st bike payment, and I could see why the first time I rolled the throttle...what a beast!
Jeez I miss that bike.

After all the H-D history I've recently read my conclusion to H-D staying relevant is either buyers wanting the big V-twin thump, blind allegiance (thinking made solely in the USA) or just plain ol' brand loyalty. Made in the USA is no longer relevant in H-Ds manufacturing as they've outsourced their parts and have plants in Manaus, Brazil; Bawal, India and construction of a new plant in Thailand scheduled to begin in late 2018. Historically they started out in the USA but now H-D is a world manufacturer just like everybody else.

If you like the H-D product and can afford it that's great. I don't prefer their product line and choose to spend my hard earned money elsewhere. I've owned several different handguns in my time and never once owned a Glock. I never felt comfortable or confident with one in my hand even though most law enforcement officers carry one as part of their equipment, I never bought one. I do not push others into or away from a product line based on brand loyalty, but I will share a bad experience with a product from a factual point if it helps someone make an educated buying decision. I also listen to other's experiences of a product/services to help me make an educated purchase decision. Business practices and ethics also play a role in my purchasing decision. I want to feel the company is going to be around awhile after I buy their product. I was a big fan of Pioneer equipment in the 70s, now look where their home audio division is. And yet companies like McIntosh, Audio Research, JBL, Ohm Acoustics and many others are still putting out products and servicing their older stuff.

At the end of the day others have to decide what it is they wish to own, it's not my decision to make. My only hope is that they enjoy whatever that decision may be. I don't appreciate when others attempt to belittle, embarrass or turn their nose up to me for not making the same purchasing decision as so many H-D owners have done to me over the years, especially after I've complimented them on what they've done to their bike.

I'll say this again; When it comes to motorcycling I don't give a **** what you ride, as long as your knees are in the breeze and you do it safely. :thumbsup:
 

That's a good looking bike, I like that color as it kinda reminds me of the candy brandywine from the 80s Goldwing. Also like the rounded corner look of the bags, to me it fits the rest of the bike well.
Even as a long time wing owner I can't say I like what Honda did with the bags on the new wings, kinda reminds me of the ass end of the civic. They also cut way back on the amount of chrome pieces they put on the new wings....yeah, and the new automatic transmission?!

Lately it seems to be all about gadgets on bikes like ABS, navigation, HD intercom, air bags, Bluetooth. My only guilty pleasure is tunage via radio or connect my phone and stream, no CD player, used the intercom system twice and no CB radio on my bike. I still like to listen to the sound of the bike going down the road and listen for any stupidness going on around or near me.
 
Last edited:
That's a good looking bike, I like that color as it kinda reminds me of the candy brandywine from the 80s Goldwing. Also like the rounded corner look of the bags, to me it fits the rest of the bike well.
Even as a long time wing owner I can't say I like what Honda did with the bags on the new wings, kinda reminds me of the ass end of the civic. They also cut way back on the amount of chrome pieces they put on the new wings....yeah, and the new automatic transmission?!

Lately it seems to be all about gadgets on bikes like ABS, navigation, HD intercom, air bags, Bluetooth. My only guilty pleasure is tunage via radio or connect my phone and stream, no CD player, used the intercom system twice and no CB radio on my bike. I still like to listen to the sound of the bike going down the road and listen for any stupidness going on around or near me.
Thanks!
This is it on the Corbin display at Sturges 2005, sent to me by an attendee. I bought it from Corbin at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville.
vtx.jpg
 
s-l1600.jpg
 
As for your kids, $30K for a motorcycle is just not practical.
They use the phone to get hooked up, unlike the past when a hot set of wheels might get you a hot date.
Times have changed!
This is very true. I'm 38, just got married last year to a woman 8 years my junior. Prior to her, I was with a woman a few years older than myself. From my experience in the dating game between my ex girlfriend and my wife, I've deduced the vast majority of women under 30 don't give a crap what kind of car you drive. It's mostly the 35 and up women that can appreciate cars that are beyond basic transportation. It doesn't matter if it's a '70 Buick GSX or a '98 Buick Century, they don't care as long as you have transportation.
 
Harley would do well to cut each model's weight by 25% if they want their boomer and genX customers to stick with them. After dislocating my brand new hip replacement (the first of four times) while mounting my Triumph Bonneville on my "good" leg, it and the ElectraGlide simply had to go.

Out with the old:


In with the new:


I took a trip to AZ on it at the end of last summer. Man, it felt great to be riding again!
 
Harley would do well to cut each model's weight by 25% if they want their boomer and genX customers to stick with them. After dislocating my brand new hip replacement (the first of four times) while mounting my Triumph Bonneville on my "good" leg, it and the ElectraGlide simply had to go.

Out with the old:


In with the new:


I took a trip to AZ on it at the end of last summer. Man, it felt great to be riding again!
That's another good alternative.
 
The V-Rod did it well.
Actually, that was a 60 degree motor designed by Porsche. :) The "Milwaukee Eight" remains as it was in 1911.

By comparison, my lawn tractor's V-twin is an inherently balanced 90 degree design. As is the motor on my bike. I confess I don't get the "designed in" NVH.
 
Back
Top Bottom