• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Many Records Do You Have?

gillsev

Well-Known Member
I like this story (particularly the last sentence) ... "the memories the music brings back are too important to say no."

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11283569

I myself have probably close to a thousand LP's mostly from Big Band to Jazz to Easy Listening of the 50's and 60's. A few 78's and 45's here and there.

The memories they bring back are the main reason for them.

Sometimes it may not be the memories but simply the mood they evoke. Music is the most evocative of all the arts and resides so warmly in the mind because it needs no basis of reality. It creates its own atmosphere that brings you into its world.

The collection will keep growing. :D
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Around 1000. Roughly half purchased new prior to 1990, the balance purchased over the last 18 months.
 
cant' tell for sure...
...around 10 meters. 9 1m-shelfes and some other bunches adding to a meter...
 
I'm well over a thousand. Probably close to two. Lots of folks giving up their LPs to thrifts, etc. nowadays. Went to an Estate sale yesterday for a military veteran. Came away with some good jazz and Beatles records. Got to look for another Expedit on CL...:yes:
 
Er, kind of hard to say....maybe 4500 or so? I am not sure whether to count trading stock, or just my permanent collection. Then there's about 300 not yet processed.....
 
I've got about 500 clean, sleeved, and alphabetized in the living room.

Another 1,200 in their own closet upstairs all in excellent shape (700+ of them came as one person's collection (for free)), but not yet assimilated into the main collection, so only in rough alphabetical order.

Plus about 700 out in the barn (another individual's collection). This is a collection of jazz LPs, mostly from '58 to '68. Really excellent titles, but unfortunately only in "Good" to "VG" condition. I'm still working my way through them, cleaning them as I go.

So, I guess that all adds up to around 2,400, but flea market season has just started, so that number will be going up soon.

Oh yeah, I've got about 100 78's too
 
I've never counted, but it's not a crazy amount:

records.jpg
 
Not sure of the exact count, but I think it's about 3,000 now. I don't want it to go too much higher, as space is limited. I periodically "cull" some, but new ones come in, and the overall tendency is always towards more, not less. Lately, though, the "bird-dogger" finds have been getting less frequent, and the single store purchases I make are only a couple per month, so the growth rate has slowed considerably. I think it will balance itself out this way, anyway. Even if I make some more bulk buys I'll probably never let it go over 4,000, as long as I'm living in this apartment. If I had more space, though, I'd let it grow like topsy! :D
 
I have about 3500 I think. maybe
1,000 classical
1,000 rock
200 jazz
The rest is blues, soul, funk, country, and folk.

Optimus keeps an eye on things for me.
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • IMG_53541268088760.jpg
    IMG_53541268088760.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 297
Well, after seeing the trend of 1k or more, i felt i needed to post mine just to humble the thread a little. I have about 180 LP's at the moment and around 20 45's. Only about 10 of which i have actually bought. The rest all given to me. There, thread balanced.
 
HI,
I think around 4500 but, truthfully, I've lost count. At a certain point you don't count records but measure the amount of feet of shelf space the collection takes. I do it this way.

Count the number of albums on a typical shelf. Then divide that number by the length of the shelf in feet. This gives the number of albums per foot on a typical shelf (the reference foot). Then determine the total number of shelf feet the collection requires. Then multiply the number of albums in the reference foot by the number of feet of shelf space. It's not exact but does give a rough number.

Numbers don't mean a lot to me. Quality does, though. All mine are in great condition, vacuum washed and Lasted.

100% LP's. About half were bought used. Roughly 50% are classical. Then jazz, then rock and roll (only 60's and 70's, please) then a mixture of East Indian Classical, electronic, folk, and Misc. Some of the Misc. collection are spectacular including Sheffields (I have the complete collection) steam locomotives, tugboats, thunder storms, Tibetan Bells and other sound effects. I love pure sound.

Sparky
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom