• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How Many Records Do You Have?

Almost 1K albums, all bought used, and 2K 45's. Mostly pop, classic rock and some folk. I'm pretty much out of storage space, but have seen a lot of nice condition LP's at the thrifts, so the pile keeps growing.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark
 
The answer seems to increase on a weekly, sometimes daily basis.

Counting them at this point would be reminiscent of the tootsie-pop owl. "...one, ...two, ...three, hum what's this - lets give this one a play. Now where was I, oh yes, ...one, ...two, .... "
 
I have 800 that I bought new from 1975 to 1987, mostly rock. Just recently was given my wife's dad's Jazz collection of 400 LP's, mostly big band, now alphabetized and in anywhere from nm to vg condition. My wife has a crazy,eclectic collection in various states of condition that numbers close to 800. I am now working on expanding my collection by buying Jazz and 80's alternative rock.
 
around 2600 not including the one in the Going to GW box or the I'll sell these sometime box.

Bought a few more today and will buy more tomorrow I assume
 
I've only got about 200, which is minuscule compared to the rest of you guys :), but I want to, and will, make my collection grow.
 
Just over 4000 LPs, maybe 900 45s, and 300-350 78s. Of the LPs, 3277 have been cataloged, washed, and sleeved. Box sets, Christmas, classical, and collector material are being worked on. 75% of the 45s have been washed and sleeved. The 78s get so little play that they are washed just before they are played; no other systematic effort is being made for them. There is about 20" of shelf left before I'll have to build another set of shelves for the next 1000 LPs.
 
when I started putting them into vinyl oter sleeves I lost half a meter of room having not even covered 70% now... I believe my 9-10m could be 3000 ± 300...

HI,
I think around 4500 but, truthfully, I've lost count. At a certain point you don't count records but measure the amount of feet of shelf space the collection takes. I do it this way.

Count the number of albums on a typical shelf. Then divide that number by the length of the shelf in feet. This gives the number of albums per foot on a typical shelf (the reference foot). Then determine the total number of shelf feet the collection requires. Then multiply the number of albums in the reference foot by the number of feet of shelf space. It's not exact but does give a rough number.

Numbers don't mean a lot to me. Quality does, though. All mine are in great condition, vacuum washed and Lasted.

100% LP's. About half were bought used. Roughly 50% are classical. Then jazz, then rock and roll (only 60's and 70's, please) then a mixture of East Indian Classical, electronic, folk, and Misc. Some of the Misc. collection are spectacular including Sheffields (I have the complete collection) steam locomotives, tugboats, thunder storms, Tibetan Bells and other sound effects. I love pure sound.

Sparky
 
....gotta show this thread to my wife!!
At about 1100, I'm a relative piker. Of those, I only keep around 450-500 upstairs and quickly accessable. I have 350 rock/pop albums stored on the bottom two shelves in a large antique hutch and 125-150 jazz albums in the entertainment center shelving. These are my prime, go-to records. Classical,
blues and reggae have smaller storage boxes in the basement, and I have around 300 that are either duplicates, to be sold or new acquisitions to be inspected and cleaned.
 
Not too many, but we have a 5x5 and a 2x4 Expidit to grow the collection into...hmm...70, 80 or so, and few handfuls of 45's. :)

records.jpg
 
Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3,000, but can't say as I've more than estimated by how many fit per shelf etc. Let's say 2,200 Classical, 250 Trad/World, 100 Jazz, 450 Rock/Pop/Blues/Funk etc., all very approximate. I'd like to up the Jazz quotient a whole lot, but good Jazz LPs in playable shape are pretty hard to get unless they're big band (I have a lot of that on 78).

I also have probably 3-400 78's. Maybe one 45?

Still missing recordings of a lot of things I'd like to listen to!
 
Back
Top Bottom