• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How much of the day do you have music playing?

How much of the day do you have music playing?


  • Total voters
    162
Agreed. Quiet is a more accurate descriptor.

The only time I can remember even approaching silence is when the power goes out, or back in the dark days immediately after 911.
Silence and quiet... almost the same with a big difference.
 
In the last few years I've gotten to the point where I listen to music as an activity unto itself, meaning, fi I am listening to music, it's all I'm doing. The commodity value of music seems to lessen it's value to me. Streaming and having so much available all the time has made it so I got to the point that didn't appreciate the whole experience because it was a constant part of life. I wanted to get back to it being special. I recently had a small renovation done in my house and the dear friend who did the work showed up with bluetooth boom box and played music, good music, stuff I liked all day long, as I used to. I found it fatiguing, so we did a small experiment. Two days without, and at the end of the day we'd have a beer and a puff and listen to the whole side of an album (dating myself), and discuss. Not quite a convert, but close and his comment were along the lines of, I see what you mean. Also forces you to be alone with your thoughts, sometimes not so easy!

'Also forces you to be alone with your thoughts, sometimes not so easy'. For sure but I'd use the word allows instead of force.
 
After thinking about the listening aspect in my life, I think temp/storms/rain factor in more than I have taken into consideration before.

With the temps dropping and the constant rain, I'm taking in more time to hear and listen to music. The listen part is more focused with the hearing being the background music just being there.

Also, there's a fair bit of talk shows on during the morning and some in the afternoon on AM. Some topics interest me,while others are just recycled info I've heard over and over.

Less activity outside does force one to be more inclined to put on a record or tune in the fav FM station. Even then there's a BT speaker keeping me company.


Q
 
I try not to ever turn my music off.

Turn it down, often, being that I live with others, but I want to hear music, ALMOST always.
Obviously we watch movies a lot, too, but what happens when things settle? I go put music on again.
 
I try not to ever turn my music off.

Turn it down, often, being that I live with others, but I want to hear music, ALMOST always.
Obviously we watch movies a lot, too, but what happens when things settle? I go put music on again.

:beerchug:, :thumbsup:
All day, every day, without exception, from wakeup until BR/DVD movie selection, post dinner, then like you, BeDome, then the switch back to the music.
No concerns about disturbing others co-residing, since none are present.
 
You got it!
If I'm reading some deep techie manual sometimes, I might need silence, but afterward I go right back to my music.
If I'm reading for pleasure, then music is a part of that enjoyment.

:beerchug:
 
All day long!
Same here, it's like being cursed by something you actually like and can't go too long without otherwise craving sets in that can only be relieved by a muse fix presto. I reckon that being able to listen to music 24/7 deserves an explanation otherwise people would think we are zombies. In my case it goes like this:

I used to own and operate heavy equipment (see my avatar) and had my cab fitted with a state-of-the-art Pioneer/Focal combo that nearly cost me a second mortgage. Not that the equipment was overly expensive, it's the installation that fleeced me. That machine is a bi-directional loader and has excellent noise isolation despite the roar of the diesel. The driver's platform rotates 180 degrees along with all the controls except for the pedals, of which there are two sets. Doesn't matter which direction you're going you always face front. Anyway it cost me dearly (for both the audio and the loader :eek:) but like I said going without music for hours would drive me testy. I must've had like 100 CD's and a mound of USB keys in there.

I would also listen to music while commuting to and fro my place of work. The audio system in my mid-size SUV was nothing to write home about but way better than no system at all. I listened mostly to channels broadcasting 70's oldies, hasn't changed yet. I had little interest in talk-shows and only glanced at the news at bedtime as a sleep aid, and also because my better half watched CNN in the morning so I couldn't avoid hearing about the ugly stuff happening all around us. That's when I took to headphones so I listened to music even when it was my turn to cook breakfast. During the night I streamed soft jazz at very low volume, I found it soothing after hearing Zeppelin and Rush all day on the loader. That and 9 cups of strong coffee kept me alert.

I had to retire at 51 due to a back injury and botched surgery to repair it, but fortunately I have good insurance. To my amazement I found that I still listen to music ALL the time. At home, in the car, at the cottage, on the pontoon boat you name it. Just makes me feel alive.

,
 
Always in the car, when I'm working at home (semi-retired), and during evening happy hours. So it probably adds up to 3-4 hours plus.
 
Increasing more time spent listening rather than background sound lately.

A lot of TV offerings are just not worth the take ins.

I more so take in reg radio on wake up, more to hear weather guesses, and the wonderful world events. :rolleyes:


Q
 
Probably only an hour or 2 a day of actual music playing. But there's always something going on. I used to listen to endless audio books all day with ear buds. Then I started listening to podcasts thru a neck speaker...now it seems that I just get thru my list of regular podcasts and they've loaded up a new batch and the process starts all over again.
I usually crank the tunes while cooking dinner ( rock and roll before the family comes home ) then some kind of background music while we eat, then I'll often listen for a bit before I get ready to retire for the evening.

It's all subject to change based on my whims.
 
I don't like television so I listen to music a lot. I stream every day searching for new music, then after finding them I'll listen to many of their releases to find which ones to save. The music gets turned on within an hour of getting out of bed.
When I'm not streaming I play vinyl or cd's.
When I'm working on electronics I have music playing in the background.
When I'm riding my bike that's on the trainer now that there's snow, I listen to FM on a HK 330B with headphones. When riding on the road I don't listen to music as I want to hear the environment, and any approaching traffic.

I'm retired and live alone so there's nobody to interfere.

I hope my hearing continues to support my habits.
 
After covid, I find myself listening less to music after Covid.

Just getting out more. Fixing things. Visiting more, and travelling. Guess it just natural the there's less time to listen to music.

Still got the radio on in the car...but going more and more to my own music.


Wonder if this is the same with others?


Q
 
After covid, I find myself listening less to music after Covid.

Just getting out more. Fixing things. Visiting more, and travelling. Guess it just natural the there's less time to listen to music.

Still got the radio on in the car...but going more and more to my own music.


Wonder if this is the same with others?


Q

FWIW, Ted, Covid: pre/during/post changed nothing with my totally inhouse and independent of outside sourced music listening habits ! I just keep adding newly acquired WAV. ripped music to me.
I haven`t heard a broadcast radio since the early nineties, nor watched any outsourced TV program since 2010, and from what I`ve read here since 2016 on A/K I`m not missing anything.
 
FWIW, Ted, Covid: pre/during/post changed nothing with my totally inhouse and independent of outside sourced music listening habits ! I just keep adding newly acquired WAV. ripped music to me.
I haven`t heard a broadcast radio since the early nineties, nor watched any outsourced TV program since 2010, and from what I`ve read here since 2016 on A/K I`m not missing anything.


Thanks for that feedback, BF. :thumbsup:


Q
 
Back
Top Bottom