• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HT shipwrecked.......newer Mc Home Theater preamps with vintage Mc amps.....and other questions.

Here's an idea. Why not a 2.1 setup? I've done the 5.1 surround thing, reduced it to 3.1, and now it's 2.1. We're not big into movies, so for my use case, I don't see the need for all the extra stuff. Plus, I'd rather have a killer set of speakers for 2 channel rather than an okay set of surround speaker.

This past December, my 12 year old Onkyo AVR finally went out. It had been used for 5.1; however, over the last 8 years it was only in a 3.1 configuration. All that said, I don't currently feel like I'm missing out with the 20 year old Yamaha AVR that's filling the role now. So, the next time I overhaul the setup, it will be 2.1 with the TV doing the HDMI switching and the TV digital output feeding into a DAC.
 
OK, back again after a "job shock" (still OK, but let's just say events happened to others resulting in added responsibilities for me), so after a bit of reading, reaching out in my personal audio circle, and considering the posts, I'm beginning to form some impressions and begin the rebuilding, at least in part..

Said "job shock" put the immediate MX151 out of reach, as I had planned to pick it up if purchasing, since I can't do a 15 hour drive to TX I have that off the table for now. If I was going to purchase, it seemed the right choice for that model, as it still had a smidge of warranty and had never seen a shop as well as a known seller, I figured if I kept it from being shipped, all the better. That's off the table, but would likely do similar (in person pick-up) if I did settle on a Mac of any stripe.

Drivers and crossovers will be replaced on the Klipsch, they are getting updates long "in the can", known moves that I'm actually carrying out (and have done on other similar Klipsch).


Now, some tip toe through the various responses.


On 2 Channel bypass:

This is a "wife" thing.

We have a separate 2 channel system (tubes, tweaked, love it). When we originally began setting this up years ago, we contemplated doing this:

I love my Mac 2 channel system. But for home theater I prefer a mid-range AVR from the likes of Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, etc. for multiple reasons.

......................

All this said, what I have is my 2 channel system and separate AVR which both use the same 'front' speakers, with the speaker usage selected by a speaker selector run in reverse to act as an amp selector. In my case I care a lot more about sound quality with my 2 channel rig than my HT rig. I am OK with "good enough" for TV and movies. I realize others might prioritize differently.

This really comes down to system operability for her. If I start running these kind of setups, things get dicey if I'm not here. If she decides to turn on the TV or CD, it's a simple matter if all run off of one pre. Start running pass throughs and switches like this and it becomes an issue on the operations side.

I already do this (sorta "run the system") for her on the tube system, and am trying to keep the HT more user friendly.

This is what's blurring the issue, because I really need all this in one "pre". I need the 2 channel that is "good enough", all in one, which is a big driver/tail wagging dog here. I keep getting led back to Mac, Classe, Theta because they do that "clear/smooth" thing really well, which is what I really need. Only way I can do them is to do older models (and Theta's not really in the convo here at all, priciest of all of them).

As soon as I go "mid line AVR" - especially an older one, it's downhill from there, because the "pass through" stuff doesn't really fly here. I don't necessarily state though that I couldn't find satisfaction with say and Integra unit slightly outdated, just for the audio end, just to try out.


Just today on one of the McIntosh facebook groups is the tale of a gentleman that has been round and round with his MX121. He's desperate for a solution and his entire audio system is down as a result of it being in transit to and from service centers. There are hundreds upon hundreds of such stories to be found. Buying one of these units is a monetary risk. And for what? So that you can spend 4x the money to purchase a dolled up outdated Marantz AVP with a slick glass front panel to match the rest of your gear? Bad idea. A friend of mine here owns an MX136 - the HDMI switching quit one day. It spent months at a service center before being returned to him as not repairable. It's a doorstop now. He offered to give it to me. I passed. No thanks.

Sorry McIntosh. You've just absolutely missed the ball here by not making things right with these customers.


This is what I'm trying to "get to the bottom of". Just how reliable ARE these?? I'm having trouble finding the "hundreds upon hundreds" and am trying to discern just what percentage of these pieces have this occur. I don't doubt you necessarily, but yet to understand that the naysayers in any internet opinion discussion tend to control the "volume" in terms of "loud". So they are "more heard". These days, it seems harder to find just what the issues are, and how prevalent. I certainly understand/can relate to the "computer" part of this, and am not surprised that after a certain point they cannot be repaired. My Krell blew after 20ish years, but that said, I'm not sure it owes anyone much after that.......

I'm not on Facebook so I don't have that "view". Do you have any links of this stuff, or is this just more from memory?



Here's an idea. Why not a 2.1 setup? I've done the 5.1 surround thing, reduced it to 3.1, and now it's 2.1. We're not big into movies, so for my use case, I don't see the need for all the extra stuff. Plus, I'd rather have a killer set of speakers for 2 channel rather than an okay set of surround speaker.

This past December, my 12 year old Onkyo AVR finally went out. It had been used for 5.1; however, over the last 8 years it was only in a 3.1 configuration. All that said, I don't currently feel like I'm missing out with the 20 year old Yamaha AVR that's filling the role now. So, the next time I overhaul the setup, it will be 2.1 with the TV doing the HDMI switching and the TV digital output feeding into a DAC.


5.1 seems to be the "decided setup", We looked into doing just what you did, in fact when this was conceived we considered it (even the PWK "mixed mono" trick). We couldn't quite get the Klipschorns in there (we would have just had no subs, but it's moot anyway), Belle Klipsch (pricey to just buy one, then get it matched up all the same, gave up after a few years of looking for matches), then found a series of Cornwalls (three sets total under $2500 acquisition price for all) and that just sealed the deal. All good speakers (no small speaker "compromises" and thus impeccable timbre matching) In a speaker that has been soooooo right in it's basics for so many years that I can't justify getting rid of them. In fact, given that Klipsch is selling new pairs for 6K, I know full well that the work I'm about to do on these will be worth every penny.

I'm not much of a movie buff anymore, but what's really swaying the decision to stay in 5.1 NOW is "broadcast". This is becoming standard online and has been standard for years on cable/sat.
 
You won't believe the new sound of your Klipsch if you use Mac amps with out autoformers and then use Room Perfect. You will wake up wondering about what you have been missing all these years. I first used room equalization Urei Equalizers back in the middle 70's and between that and using direct coupled amps the sound coming from a 3 channel Korner horn systems was night and day different. Unbelievable tight bass, with improved highs above 6 KH without the big midrange horn over powering everything else. Who thought you get get tight bass from a horn loaded speaker? From then on I used MWM-S and MWM doubles in big discos, using Altec drivers as the Klipsch woofers braided coil wires were to short and would fail and the bass was fantastic. We would use two MWM-s with 4 split La Scalas for small discos. Two MC 2200's did a great job. One 2200 would tear a pair of wmw woofers apart even with Power Guard and a 2120 just wasn't strong enough to keep up with the 4 La Scalas. Install a 421-8a or a 3156 in a MWM box and we were ready to dance all night for years to come.



Interesting. I don't doubt you either, but I'm not as used to seeing people comment that the non-autoformer Mac amps are a better match for the Klipsch designs (especially the Heritage stuff). Room perfect sure gets it's accolades, though. The older autoformer versions seem really well matched, at least in terms of being more "tubes/non-offending", which oft is an issue with a lot of solid state stuff on these speakers. It's just a difference in the voicing, modern speakers are just different.....

Now I don't doubt at all that the modern Macs will do well with the Klipsch, it's why I'm here asking questions. But I'm wanting to hear more about the relationship between a modern Mac amp, like say an MC205 (likely the way I'd do this if buying a modern Mac amp) on those Klipsch Cornwalls, which have an impedance dip in the woofer around 3ish ohms, vs. the 250/2100 or even say an MC2105 (blue metered 2100) added to my current 250 pair being autoformered.

It seems I have the option to go either way: I can add an MC250/2100/2105 to my minty pair of MC250, and have these amplifiers rebuilt. They're pretty, so worth the trouble look-wise. So I'm thinking MC2100/2105 on main pair, bridged 250 on the center, 250 on the rear pair) or just doing an MC205 as an example (which some later production versions are discernible/locatable/known to me) and as such could be another option in a modern offering apparently still well matched, just different than the auto former/vintage. Also easier in the rack.

I also wonder: How reliable are the modern Mac amps, like the MC205? It seems the older models like the 250 have stood the test of time and would even more so with a thorough rebuild, but I wonder about a Mac MC205 as well, being modern, more matched to the sound of more modern preamp offerings, higher power all on one chassis......but curious about longevity. What of the track record of these more recent offerings?

So still sniffing around for what might be the best approach for my speakers and situation......


Oh, and I know it's a Mac forum, but does anyone know how Anthem is "voiced" - what is their "rep" in terms of "house sound"? Bright/clear/warm/something else?? They are once that interest s me if for no other reason than another to consider, albeit will be some time before I can see anything newer, due to production/supply chain issues.
 
In this very forum, we have dozens of stories from owners detailing MX issues that would deter even the most stubborn. The search tool is your friend - search by model number and click thread titles only.
 
I have one MC 207 thats close to 11 or 12 years old and one that less tan 6 months. They don't have all the switches and volume controls like my 206 had and there fore have never had an issue. That said they need plenty of air if you are driving 4 ohm speakers with the power guard occasionally flickering.
 
This really comes down to system operability for her. If I start running these kind of setups, things get dicey if I'm not here. If she decides to turn on the TV or CD, it's a simple matter if all run off of one pre. Start running pass throughs and switches like this and it becomes an issue on the operations side.

I already do this (sorta "run the system") for her on the tube system, and am trying to keep the HT more user friendly.

100% with you on this. A good universal remote is an absolute necessity for any kind of HT system IMO. I use Harmony remotes (soon to be NLA unfortunately) but there are other options out there. Hit the "Watch TV" button and the remote turns on the relevant components, switches inputs, etc then the various buttons on the remote control the appropriate device. Volume buttons control receiver / preamp, channel buttons control the cable box, etc.
 
If you have an all Mcintosh electronics HT system then the remote for the processor can do almost everything with its remote controlling the sources via the logic connections for each individual input. There are also power control ports tht when connected will turn off and on an entire system. Some of Mac HT processors will work with other systems to control room lighting, also. But when When I set up HT systems I enjoyed using B&K Harmony remotes to bring all functions to one remote. Mac systems are much easier to program how ever.
 
100% with you on this. A good universal remote is an absolute necessity for any kind of HT system IMO. I use Harmony remotes (soon to be NLA unfortunately) but there are other options out there. Hit the "Watch TV" button and the remote turns on the relevant components, switches inputs, etc then the various buttons on the remote control the appropriate device. Volume buttons control receiver / preamp, channel buttons control the cable box, etc.
What do you mean by NLA? I hadn't heard that Logitech was in trouble. Are they?
 
Logitech is ok I guess but they announced discontinuation of the harmony remote line. Supposedly still going to support the software though for existing products. Still some inventory out there if you want to buy a backup (I did).
 
OK, so my home theater system core blows up effectively, dead as a doornail absent the smoke, yet still coming to terms with the ramifications of losing said system core, and setting myself up properly for a system "restore", so to speak......

.....the old Krell preamp owed me nothing, in fact being the impetus for a number of forays into the "what if I replaced it" topic, which would be, in part, to undo some of the mistakes I made with the first iteration, namely insufficient two-channel performance when paired with my All Klipsch Cornwall theater. Now I'm not necessarily looking for MC30 tube like nirvana chased for years on end by rolling some of the most interesting caps and tubes that the audio world has to offer, but a solid "match" and more modern presentation, yet on the "lush-ish" side that Mac and Klipsch are famous for. You know, a sound I can live with for another 15 years......

One tact that I have taken with the preamp is looking at a "generation or two" back at Mac and similar high end HT preamps, allowing depreciation to run it's course but yet have something of audio value on the other side - to try to straddle the line from a 12K list unit to one that's still viable audio wise in a 5.1 to max 7.1 system, the MOST it will EVER be, as the dwelling is now pretty much set in stone - won't be moving. So I don't need a "15.2" unit, or necessarily even the latest "Atmos" or similar, but more basic versions of DD and DTS as well as what online streams and broadcast 5.1 or 7.1 can deliver. I'll never be burying Heritage Klipsch speakers in my ceiling.

So I'm looking at something along the lines of an MX151, which I have access to a seemingly excellent example from a good source, never seen a shop, so seems like a good piece. It's known that it won't pass 4K, but as I don't have 4K currently wouldn't be an immediate issue, and in the case where I go 4K, I would use the split HDMI audio into the MX151 and video does the end around to the display directly, just as I did on the current pre-pro that bit the dust.

So essentially, I'm focused on the audio end of the MX151, albeit would still use some of the video capabilities/OSD for setup but not so much as a video switcher.

I own TWO MC250 Power amps, very mint looking examples which I've considered keeping, but wonder if the old matches up with the new in this situation. The input on the MC250 is 0.5V to full power, the MX151 2.5V to full output. Should I be looking at a more modern Mac amp setup, or should I have the 250s rebuilt and just use those? I have them, so that makes it easier, but don't want to go down the road of rebuilding those amps if they aren't really right for this situation, at least in the more immediate sense. If I had the MC250s rebuilt (and added another 250 or 2100 to the stable) those could be rebuilt and made viable for maybe longer than even the preamp would be - maybe 30 years or more.

So since I have them, should I use them, or move to more modern Mc or something else for this application? Those old-era Mc amps really mate well with Heritage Klipsch, and there would be no argument with going more modern on the Mc amp in terms of matching either (newer amp being a five channel possibly, like an MC205).

One lament I do carry, as do I'm sure many audio freaks, is that loss of the "middle/upper middle" of audio, where a number of amp and gear manufacturers might be out there to find more flexible options to mate with my system. Many of those have seemingly disappeared from the scene. Then too, there seem more modern options that are lower cost an have more up-to-date connections on the HDMI side of things, but system matching on the Klipsch becomes a huge issue and rabbit hole, where the McIntosh is something I just know is in the right neighborhood in terms of matching generally. So too could it be said for Classe, Theta, and Bryston, but as there seem fewer examples in that recent-but-not-newest category of HT preamps and Mc having the numbers and the following also has a certain safety in choice.

I have considered the likes of Anthem, Marantz, and similar but always end up knowing they present a bit more of the "theater/impact-y side" of things, much like my Krell seemed to do - but maybe not so much my cup of tea on the music side. The HT gets used as an all purpose, and the relative lack of musicality of the HT of old here certainly lied in the nature of the preamp itself, which was made for high impact movies, and 20 years ago to boot. So no surprise there, either, but now this "disaster" becomes the opportunity to fix more than the pre, but to rectify other system issues noticed over time, primarily being a bit too HT-y for musical appreciation. I think Mac can address this, because Mc knows how to do that smooooooooooooth yet clear on Klipsch. But I have to be prudent on the admission price - can't spend 12K on a pre. So I have to choose between say a modern Anthem AVM60 with all the newer connections at 3K or a Mac that will no doubt sound right but be less on the modern video connections and audio surround formats (latter doubtful an issue) and as with economics generally limits exist.

I expect the Mc - even a gen or two back - will play better in this music area than most, even in a "room correct" or digitized situation, especially compared to the 20 year old gear of old. I also have a tube 2 channel system, but want to bring more musicality to this iteration of the HT, hence the preening and asking questions. I haven't fiddled with my HT in terms of build in years, but the years have had the bumps, bruises, and warts become more evident, with the preamp "crash" pretty much signaling that it's time for a rebuild. So I have this opportunity to get an MX 151, and I have a pair of MC250 to use if I could or should - or ???? At any rate, just out looking for some ideas that might lead to some triage in my situation. No hurry for sure, but I gotta start somewhere......and it seems I have a few things to consider to start.

If you are ok with another brand of processor I think that's a better way to go. My MX 121 has been out of commission for 6 weeks now. Developed some sort of bug that AC's nor McIntosh can put their fingers on. I'm told, the newer models like the MX 151 are just as fussy and prone to problems. You seem much more knowledgeable than me, I find HT processors overly complicated and generally tedious to use. Give me dials and bass and treble controls any day. Good luck.
 
If you are ok with another brand of processor I think that's a better way to go. My MX 121 has been out of commission for 6 weeks now. Developed some sort of bug that AC's nor McIntosh can put their fingers on. I'm told, the newer models like the MX 151 are just as fussy and prone to problems. You seem much more knowledgeable than me, I find HT processors overly complicated and generally tedious to use. Give me dials and bass and treble controls any day. Good luck.


I like shopping for these like a root canal. I investigated this some years back and pretty much gave up. Once done properly though, the comfort and lack of pain are notable and to be appreciated. Getting there is a bit trying, though.

It seems I'm trying to burn two ends of a candle, where one end has 4K and can handle various formats thrown at it and distill it down to 5.1, and on the other end it sounds more "2 channel-y" and a bit more smooth/clear/analog. Adding to the issue is that the new processors coming online or current models are having supply issues, so getting others' "spillage" of what they sell off is less in options, as well as new offerings being not available from chip supply problems.

The one bit of good news in all this is that the planned speaker upgrades are going fantastic, all drivers/configs/crossover components are available, amazingly enough, so if there was going to be a delay, I think the component is best delayed as I want the driver swaps/upgrade done when I plug the new device in.

I think the computer analogy (as well as reality) is apt. Hate shopping for those, too. It's sorta funny as I don't even hardly watch Hollywood/modern movies much anymore (another Superhero flick and I might jump of the proverbial bridge) but when I think of how unbelievable a DTS recording of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense is then I'm back in the chair for the root canal again. Plus I do enjoy remasters and old releases of Hollywood classics, if it's been done in DTS all the better - as well as broadcast stuff.. It's sorta funny looking at all of these 15.2 channel and such, but yet I know that the chips inside are what I'll likely want to do the distillation down to the desired 5.1 (or maybe 5.2 as I have two twin 15 JBL cabs doing low frequency here) such that I can throw whatever at it over the next 15 years and be reasonably satisfied with the music end of things.

Today I'm gonna start hitting local/regional B&Ms and see what I can kick loose. Maybe since Klipsch Heritage is back in production in a bigger way they won't look at me so funny :-)
 
I like shopping for these like a root canal. I investigated this some years back and pretty much gave up. Once done properly though, the comfort and lack of pain are notable and to be appreciated. Getting there is a bit trying, though.

It seems I'm trying to burn two ends of a candle, where one end has 4K and can handle various formats thrown at it and distill it down to 5.1, and on the other end it sounds more "2 channel-y" and a bit more smooth/clear/analog. Adding to the issue is that the new processors coming online or current models are having supply issues, so getting others' "spillage" of what they sell off is less in options, as well as new offerings being not available from chip supply problems.

The one bit of good news in all this is that the planned speaker upgrades are going fantastic, all drivers/configs/crossover components are available, amazingly enough, so if there was going to be a delay, I think the component is best delayed as I want the driver swaps/upgrade done when I plug the new device in.

I think the computer analogy (as well as reality) is apt. Hate shopping for those, too. It's sorta funny as I don't even hardly watch Hollywood/modern movies much anymore (another Superhero flick and I might jump of the proverbial bridge) but when I think of how unbelievable a DTS recording of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense is then I'm back in the chair for the root canal again. Plus I do enjoy remasters and old releases of Hollywood classics, if it's been done in DTS all the better - as well as broadcast stuff.. It's sorta funny looking at all of these 15.2 channel and such, but yet I know that the chips inside are what I'll likely want to do the distillation down to the desired 5.1 (or maybe 5.2 as I have two twin 15 JBL cabs doing low frequency here) such that I can throw whatever at it over the next 15 years and be reasonably satisfied with the music end of things.

Today I'm gonna start hitting local/regional B&Ms and see what I can kick loose. Maybe since Klipsch Heritage is back in production in a bigger way they won't look at me so funny :)

I find processors tedious and overly complicated. The on screen menus with page after page of adjustments and levels are annoying. I like the 5.1 because I can hear the TV. My room is large so the surround fills the room nicely and the center channel works well within the space. For music, it's all 2 channel for me. I don't think I've ever listened to 5.1 via a CD. This system if the hub for the house. In the family room, used for everyday TV viewing, and there's music sources, phono, tuner, CD and a Sonos. It's a 2 zone system for satellite speakers throughout the house, the patio and in the garage. If I could change from a complicated technology based processor I would in a heartbeat. But the home is set up for a surround based system so I'm stuck. I'm into week # 7 with my MX 121 in for service. Ryan from AC's is pulling his hair out trying to figure out the issue. His tech went through it, fixed a few IC problems, sent it back to me and the same problem exists. Back it went. I sent them videos of the sound cutting in and out so Ryan has it hooked up in the showroom and running to see if they can see and hear the problem so they can fix it. They best in the business are stumped which tells me what I already knew. These things are jam packed with circuits and boards and when something happens, finding and fixing it is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm tempted to down grade to an older, less complicated model. My 119 was great and easy to work and did what I needed it to. If it had HDMI inputs I'd go back in a second. There's no way I'll move up to a 150 or better. Best of luck.
 
My 119 was great and easy to work and did what I needed it to. If it had HDMI inputs I'd go back in a second. There's no way I'll move up to a 150 or better. Best of luck.
Can you use your Oppo for surround then just get an HDMI switcher for multiple HDMI inputs. I am currently running a setup similar to this with the 205, and my only complaint is that it is a pain to switch from 2 channel to 5.1. Just a thought.

-Geoff
 
I appreciate the relating of your experiences.

So I go to my B&Ms over the last couple of days and they are pretty much out of everything related to pre-pro. Just the mention of "pre-pro" got me that "look". Like "Good luck with that" sorta look. It's six-eight weeks out minimum, with a stack of 17 prepaid orders for Marantz pre-pros alone, as well as another eight for Anthem stuff......just at one dealer alone.

.....they ARE a Klipsch Heritage dealer and had LaScalas on the floor, so that was a good start to the convo, stated that Marantz (of the brands they carried) would be the best sonic "match" I would likely be looking for (warm/clear side, liquid, etc) where Marantz, Anthem, Onkyo were the main choices.

I actually LIKE the new adjustability. I took my old theater's sub kit, as an example, and ran an EQ on that before electronic computer based EQ were a broad based thing like they are now. I spent a month researching how to use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and an SPL mic with test tones to create a tight, well blended "house curve" for the theater that took those beastly JBLs and made them fit like a glove. When the EQ went out some 12 years later (it lasted that long), I realized that I had lost the notes and settings book that I created to be able to redo that EQ if out ever lost memory. When that EQ died (it just simply quit/died/failed) I was going to buy another one ($40 on Ebay at the time) and just reload those parametric EQ settings. But those settings were lost, and with newer machines having the room correction thought "If I go through that again I may not get it right and can backtrace none of the instructions or supporting information that allowed me to build it."

So a few years ago I did take a look into these machines, and liked the idea of that adjustability, albeit much never would get used. But the idea of two or four sub controls properly EQ'd sounds really attractive if not made to be unreliable from the "computer-esque" aspect of those devices. It's this that I'm attempting to get to - where that money might be best spent. I could easily buy an old, good sounding piece and use a miniDSP to address the subs too, but since it all died it's all open to examination.

So "processor-land" is rather weird right now, because the factory that makes the processing chips burnt last October, new supply is hard to come by, and that places pressure on used units too. There's no "churn" when new gets bought and people flip their recent pre-pros.....a lot less of those available, so the "buy in summer months" mantra is coming up slim from a host of factors not normal.

It's all OK, because the speaker rebuilds are progressing so there's time to wait it out I suppose, and I'll keep scratching around the problem and sniffing around to see what ideas can be brought to the table.

Again, all of the responses are appreciated.
 
Can you use your Oppo for surround then just get an HDMI switcher for multiple HDMI inputs. I am currently running a setup similar to this with the 205, and my only complaint is that it is a pain to switch from 2 channel to 5.1. Just a thought.

-Geoff

I have an Oppo 93 and it apparently DOES have a DD and DTS decoder built in for up to 7.1. I have been looking at newer players to see what I might do with an upgraded/modernized unit. Oppo's no longer in biz (albeit quite a resale market for those) and that's not out of the question either, but I started eyeballing new disc players yesterday just as an aside and kindled some of the stuff you mention here. The Oppo 93 isn't the best on analog outs in terms of sound - it's best used as a digital player at least in the ways I tested it here when I got it. I played around with it on the 2 channel kit too. just because I was curious. My buddy has a TOTL Oppo and it's a much different animal.

Maybe use the disc as the decoder brain (and a good one with good analog outs into a multichannel preamp that just sounds good). I haven't looked at disc players in ages but that might be a way to get there.
 
Can you use your Oppo for surround then just get an HDMI switcher for multiple HDMI inputs. I am currently running a setup similar to this with the 205, and my only complaint is that it is a pain to switch from 2 channel to 5.1. Just a thought.

-Geoff

Geoff-

Perhaps, but damifino how to go about any of that. I love audio and stereo. I HATE technology because I simply don't understand it or it's logic. I've tried, I really have. It's like calculus in HS. It and me don't mix.
 
You guys both need C45 preamps. In addition to the traditional stereo inputs, the C45 has (2) 5.1 inputs. The C45 offers 5.1 outputs - used for both stereo (L&R only) and 5.1 (L,C,R,LS, and RS). This oft misunderstood pre is the perfect solution for these kinds of installations.
That just needs HDMI switching and I would buy it. My Oppo works great except that I need two more HDMI inputs than it has.It would just be nice not to have to run two different remotes and switching menus for the majority of TV viewing and gaming that I do.

-Geoff
 
Back
Top Bottom