• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Huge McIntosh Auction

I had no idea the Fairchilds had become that collectible. I have a pristine 255 I have always intended to rebuild if I ever found a second one. Almost snapped one up on ebay about 5 years ago at a reasonable price but lost the bid with seconds to go. I would not pay over $500 for one. Guess I'll not find one anytime soon (or ever). I did bid on one of the McKay-Dymek DA-5 active AM antenna boxes but set my limits at $70. It went for $80 plus tax, auction premium and shipping which I judged as too much. I'm getting pickier as I age! I used to spend money on vintage tube gear like a drunken sailor but no more. Tired of tripping over stuff and the "projects" kept piling up.
Rebuild that 255 and use it in a mono setup with a nice altec 604 or similar speaker. The prices have sure risen on fairchild gear since I've been following it but almost all vintage tube gear as well. Long gone are the days of picking up any fairchild amp for $500 unless you get lucky. My first 260 I paid $150 from the antique radio forums site. My second one I paid $500 for on ebay. I also had a 275 for a brief period before I bought my second 260.i then landed a 248 through a ak member for a unheard of price even though I told him what it was worth and he just wanted it to goto someone who would use it.
Sorry to hear that you lost out on the McKay dymek antenna as I've always wanted one of those as well. The last hamfest I went too I saw one sitting on a table when the vendors were setting up and by the time the doors opened it was gone.
I too use to spend money on tube gear years back like a drunken sailor and got to know the local ups driver by name lol.
 
yep, each.

I saw those fairchild amps. Those transformers they used are really good, but with my luck, I would have won one and been outbid on the 2nd one, so took a pass on them.

there was a par of 260s on A'mart a few months ago that sold for 2K or 2200; dont recall which.
 
Rebuild that 255 and use it in a mono setup with a nice altec 604 or similar speaker. The prices have sure risen on fairchild gear since I've been following it but almost all vintage tube gear as well. Long gone are the days of picking up any fairchild amp for $500 unless you get lucky. My first 260 I paid $150 from the antique radio forums site. My second one I paid $500 for on ebay. I also had a 275 for a brief period before I bought my second 260.i then landed a 248 through a ak member for a unheard of price even though I told him what it was worth and he just wanted it to goto someone who would use it.
Sorry to hear that you lost out on the McKay dymek antenna as I've always wanted one of those as well. The last hamfest I went too I saw one sitting on a table when the vendors were setting up and by the time the doors opened it was gone.
I too use to spend money on tube gear years back like a drunken sailor and got to know the local ups driver by name lol.

I owned one of the McKay Dymek AM antennas back in the late 1970's and it was a great unit. It allowed me to listen to Red Sox radio broadcasts at night after I moved to Virginia. I sold it to a neighbor in 1978 (I believe) so he could listen to St. Louis Cardinal broadcasts. Should have kept it!
 
I owned one of the McKay Dymek AM antennas back in the late 1970's and it was a great unit. It allowed me to listen to Red Sox radio broadcasts at night after I moved to Virginia. I sold it to a neighbor in 1978 (I believe) so he could listen to St. Louis Cardinal broadcasts. Should have kept it!
A homebrew two foot tuned tabletop helper loop on a decent radio with an internal loop would suprize you with daytime ground wave dx.
 
Too bad I was so far away, I would have an Empire turntable to rebuild and a pair of Dynaco A-50 speakers that went cheaply
 
Too bad I was so far away, I would have an Empire turntable to rebuild and a pair of Dynaco A-50 speakers that went cheaply
One bidder and things can go cheap, ... add a second interested party and prices can climb significantly. You might have been that second interested party.
 
A homebrew two foot tuned tabletop helper loop on a decent radio with an internal loop would suprize you with daytime ground wave dx.
i myself use a pixel pro 1b magnetic loop for dxing the am broadcact band.although not a indoor loop it does a good job.
 
Back
Top Bottom