• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hypothetical Poll: XRT2K+MC2KW vs 911 Turbo

Your choice:

  • 911 Turbo

    Votes: 65 61.3%
  • XRT2K+MC2KW

    Votes: 41 38.7%

  • Total voters
    106
Yes especially the cheap plastic and suede... This is why the resale value is so poor and the 993 are holding so incredibly strong. Even the gauges are cheaper in the new cars...

For example a clean 1997 993 turbo is more expensive than a 2001-2005 turbo the 2008 turbo will suffer the same fate...I'm sure...

Attached is the photo of a proper Porsche interior. This is a 1997 Turbo S today's price $180,000US...apparently quality has a price...(I don't need an S since I'm not a good driver --- only average)
 

Attachments

  • 97TurboSBlackBlack5K3.jpg
    97TurboSBlackBlack5K3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 54
Yes especially the cheap plastic and suede... This is why the resale value is so poor and the 993 are holding so incredibly strong. Even the gauges are cheaper in the new cars...

For example a clean 1997 993 turbo is more expensive than a 2001-2005 turbo the 2008 turbo will suffer the same fate...I'm sure...

Attached is the photo of a proper Porsche interior. This is a 1997 Turbo S today's price $180,000US...apparently quality has a price...(I don't need an S since I'm not a good driver --- only average)

For $180K it's got to be way more than just an "S". If you advertised that you had 180K to spend on a 993 you'd have them lined up around the block. :scratch2:
 
Wow!

The early results here are very surprising. A car is a car a Mac is well,:scratch2: a MAC!
 
Attached is the photo of a proper Porsche interior.
I've driven both. To each his own of course but to me the 993 interior looks outdated as compared to 997. As far as driving, the 997 is the hands down winner. Nothing like having over 60% of car's weight hanging out back and having no stability control. They didn't call the 993 Turbo the "widow-maker" for nothing. :D Oh, yeah, the 480hp vs 400hp is not as relevant as the 500 vs 400 ft-lbs of torque for street driving as witnessed in 1 sec 40-70mph bursts in the 997 Turbo. Both cars are really capable, no argument there but I'd rather have the electronics backing me up when the "mere mortal" in me wants to tap into that power and play a little. :yes: The Turbo S was a special car indeed, the new GT2 is also "special" enough. As far as exterior looks, to me the 993 was and always will be the "pinnacle" of Porsche's best 911 to date but I don't mind the 997 looks.

Yes especially the cheap plastic and suede...
There are plenty of leather/carbon fiber/aluminum options to dress up the car any way you want. From mild to wild. :yes:
 
Dennis you need to do more Porsche homework. 1997 turbo S's are extremely rare --- ones with under 7,500 miles routinely trade for $150,000 - $190,000 WW there are only 200-1997-993 turbo S --- That is the one with 425+horsepower and the tasteful scoop only on the right side behind the door for additional engine cooling.
 
1997 turbo S's are extremely rare --- ones with under 7,500 miles routinely trade for $150,000 - $190,000 WW there are only 200-1997-993 turbo S --- That is the one with 425+horsepower and the tasteful scoop only on the right side behind the door for additional engine cooling.
Sorry, for that kind of dough, I would be buying a GT2. 530hp. :yes:
 
Sorry, for that kind of dough, I would be buying a GT2. 530hp
Correction, I would add the extra $40k over the GT2, $50k of which is the unavoidable dealer markup/gouging and get the F430. :thmbsp: Wise men who have driven/owned both will tell you, "The 911 Turbo will impress" the "F430 will impress and inspire". :yes:
 
Guess what PHC --- everything you say is true --- in fact the 997 is a better car in almost every way and the plastic does not detract from its main mission in life... On the other hand I dont consider Porsche turbo's daily drivers and if its going to sit in the garage and come out to play --- I'd rather play with a 993 turbo...BTW the new interior is much better than the old one --- its just that when you are in the old car it just feels right...and the serious nature of the interior makes it seem like an afterthought as if the powertrain engineers were in charge...
 
ts just that when you are in the old car it just feels right...and the serious nature of the interior makes it seem like an afterthought as if the powertrain engineers were in charge...
If you have not already done so, I would suggest you take a 997 out for a spin. If you were disapointed with the 996, the 997 will bring many happy memories of the 993 and then some. Much of the "mechanical/connected with the car/connected with the road" feeling is back with the 997. Especially if you get to drive the GT3.:yes: No matter, they are all fun cars for sure, whatever the age may be. :thmbsp:
 
The Porsche of course! Why?

1. Cars over here costs more than anywhere else in the world.
2. I will take the Porsche, drive it for a few days and then SELL it.
3. The money I get from selling the car would be MORE than just the MC2Kw's and XRT2K's.
4. Could even include in the MCD/MDA1k & C1000 combo and still have some change left for a respectable all new CD collection.

So, I get to drive the car for a few days and then enjoy music for a lifetime with the Best McIntosh system today!

Thats how I will do it. I am not crazy over cars, especially Porsche BUT I am real crazy for McIntosh gears!

Cheers!
 
So, I get to drive the car for a few days
I'm not sure you'd sell it after driving it for a few days. They say "power corrupts" and "absolute power corrupts absolutely.":smoke:
 
Mac system! It's only a car, I can imagine crawling along in a nice car or being awash in fine sound for the rest of my life!

Not even close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert
 
I am fond of the 2 worlds of excellence represented by these 2 brands: some pics joined.
 
Last edited:
Since I do not need any more Mac equipment at this time, I will take the Porsche, but will sell it right away, hopefully that will generate enough money to help me buy some land in the Texas Hill Country.

Vahe
 
Already got a stereo worth over $125k, so I'd definitely go for the Porsche, but would probably do a GT3 instead of the normal version...

Or perhaps a tricked out Boxster S and a nice vintage 70-73 911S too!
 
The gap is closing fast. :scratch2: Some points to consider: Let's see if we can grade them to see what happens.


Neither the mac system nor 911T can be used to their full potential under normal circumstances unless one wants to either lose their license or lose their hearing. Neither 480hp nor 2000w is a joke. Both can be enjoyed at the "lazy" end of their respective performance scales quite easily though with occasional dipping into the "deeper" end of performance. Nothing like the thrill of virtually unlimited performance on demand.:yes:
1 point for Porsche, 1 for Mac.

Using daily: Mac, no problem. Enjoy it 24/7, 365 days a year. 911T? More of a special occasion/weekend car. If it snows, out of luck, if going to a crowded mall or questionable area? 1 point for Mac, 0 for Porsche.

Appeal and admiration of others: 911T will get noticed and appreciated more than the mac system by "ordinary people" unless you are surrounded by audiophiles. Just about anyone knows the name Porsche, McIntosh...apples?, the computer company?, what..??? My wife appreciates my audio rig, she listens to it herself. My wife knows Porsche too. She mentioned a few times I should get the Turbo, I've never heard her mention I should get the "XRT2Ks or MC2KW's although she knows of their existence. If I got the Turbo, she would understand, if I got the mac combo she would probably call the divorce attorney and the men in white, in that order. I am sure most others would think someone was "crazy" to spend that kind of dough on a stereo but not necessarily on a car. Any "normal", non-audiophile person would say a car is more important than a stereo.:scratch2: Porsche-1, Mac-0.

Personal appeal and admiration: I guess that depends, either are highly desirable by those who appreciate the respective brand. Unfortunately for many of us, we seem to like both. Either would be a "dream come true". Porsche-1, Mac-1.

Long term enjoyment: When both used frequently, Porsche will get old and worn out, mac combo will play on for years. Porsche-0, Mac-1.

For those of you guys who are single: Need I even go here? Which will get you some "action"....? Porsche-1, Mac-0. :D


Looks like it's a tie at 4-4. :D

Did I miss any other important points?

As for me? I am happy with my current rig, sure the mac combo in question would be nice but would not be realistic for my current listening room and would not live up to it's potential. I am quite happy with my current car too but you know how that goes. The Turbo it is.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom