• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I have ordered a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive turntable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I auditioned one at GC a few months back... He was seriously considering buying one because of Stereophile Mag's review

After the audition he passed on it and bought a Music Hall 5.1se
 
Wrong ...

After an audition of a PLX1000 I posted this:




I did not trash talk or use pejoratives... Usually only trolls do that
Sorry I didn't catch that post. Was he one of the lucky ones who got a quiet motor? The Music Halls are made in the same factory as the Pro-Jects and from what I've seen over on vinylengine, the MHs seem to be plagued with the same noisy motor problems.
 
So Garvin it sounds like the both of us are in the same boat, neither of us have examined or heard the PLX-1000. You give it a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down based on what we have read. No more excuses, spend the $700 for the PLX-1000 and let us know how it sounds and operates.
 
So Garvin it sounds like the both of us are in the same boat, neither of us have examined or heard the PLX-1000. You give it a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down based on what we have read. No more excuses, spend the $700 for the PLX-1000 and let us know how it sounds and operates.
I don't give it a thumbs up. I read the comments from all around the web from those who down own it and they seem to be overwhelmingly positive.
 
You give it a thumbs up and I give it a thumbs down based on what we have read.

If we're being totally honest here, you gave it a thumbs down the moment you learned of its existence and said so with a statement to the effect that "If it's Chinese, it will be junk."

John
 
Last edited:
FWIW, I couldn't achieve perfect Baerwald on my Dual 505 or Pro-Ject 1.2. So I resorted to Stevenson with the Dual and a pseudo-Baerwald on the Pro-Ject. Maybe it was the cartridges I was using.

At least with the PLX-1000 it uses a common headshell, so I find it hard to believe that there's no headshell out there to allow alignment to Baerwald or Lofgren.
 
FWIW, I couldn't achieve perfect Baerwald on my Dual 505 or Pro-Ject 1.2. So I resorted to Stevenson with the Dual and a pseudo-Baerwald on the Pro-Ject. Maybe it was the cartridges I was using.

At least with the PLX-1000 it uses a common headshell, so I find it hard to believe that there's no headshell out there to allow alignment to Baerwald or Lofgren.
Thjere is. Several folks with the PLX-1000 have posted here and elsewhere about changing the headshell and having no problem aligning their cartridges.
 
If you want to quote as such feel free to do so but I think I was more specific in my criticism that the China/Taiwan mfgs had not mastered or attempted the art of quality control, had cut a lot of corners when copying someone elses designs and substituted inferior parts/materials. Agree posted this on AK, Audio Asylum, Vinyl Engine to name a few.
 
If you want to quote as such feel free to do so but I think I was more specific in my criticism that the China/Taiwan mfgs had not mastered or attempted the art of quality control, had cut a lot of corners when copying someone elses designs and substituted inferior parts/materials. Agree posted this on AK, Audio Asylum, Vinyl Engine to name a few.

If your allegations are true the responsibility is Pioneers. They are responsible for the design, parts/material, and insuring the product meets QC standards. These are serious allegations against the OEM, but you have no evidence. Do you know that the manufacturer substituted inferior parts, inferior to their contract?

This is based on what you've read and you never even touched one of these tables, yet you have specific knowledge of the viability of this product?
VPI comes out with a relatively inexpensive table and the arms fall off or whatever it was. They give the disappointed consumer a new table with a cheaper finish, but at least they made it right. Some people had loose arm bearings on the Pioneer, but Pioneer gave them a new table. Think there might be a double standard?

If you bought an old Japanese table and couldn't get your preferred alignment, wouldn't you try another headshell, especially if you already had some? All the integrated Japanese tables back in the day used Stevenson. Many of them wouldn't allow Baerwald let alone Loefgren B.
Wayner didn't evaluate this table as if he meant to keep it. It was treated as a review sample with a 30 day money back. A professional reviewer would have reported that and moved on. We never got a final evaluation from the review, because the reviewer quit at that point. Others have reported that the Pioneer is better sounding than a 1200. I'm not saying anything about SQ, I've never heard it, but either have you.
neo
 
To suggest that I bought it solely as a review sample is something I find very offensive. But hey, its easy for you to say, it wasn't your money.........
 
Last edited:
I cannot believe this horse is still being kicked. The fact of the matter is, Wayner and a few others have actually tried out the table. And as it happens with every table on the market, some liked it, some did not. The rest of the folks that are commenting are just spouting out what they read, then making it fact.

To those who hate the table, do as Wayner and buy one and actually try it out. To those that love it, do as Wayner and buy one and try it out. This constant bashing and praising is getting old.
 
Can I point out you don't have to buy one, you can audition instead, either at your hifi dealer, a show, or a friend who has one.

I'd recommend doing so if you like the idea of it. If you aren't interested in buying one, do as you would for anything you're not interested in buying, and pass onto something else.
 
I cannot believe this horse is still being kicked. The fact of the matter is, Wayner and a few others have actually tried out the table. And as it happens with every table on the market, some liked it, some did not. The rest of the folks that are commenting are just spouting out what they read, then making it fact.

To those who hate the table, do as Wayner and buy one and actually try it out. To those that love it, do as Wayner and buy one and try it out. This constant bashing and praising is getting old.

Good post.

I'd add that this goes for anything in this hobby.

But then if folks tried stuff for themselves before posting, this forum wouldn't be as entertaining:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom