• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need help identifying tube amplifier.

Tom T

New Member
I was hoping I could get some help identifying a tube amp that was in a storage unit I purchased. I doesn't seem to have name or markings. I apreseate any information on the amp I can get.

Thank you.
Tom
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8929.JPG
    IMG_8929.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8930.JPG
    IMG_8930.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_8932.JPG
    IMG_8932.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8933.JPG
    IMG_8933.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8936.JPG
    IMG_8936.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8937.JPG
    IMG_8937.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_8934.JPG
    IMG_8934.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 211
Register to hide this ad
Agree with homebrew for sure. Looks well done using good components. 6BX7 is not something you normally see as an output tube, but it has the specs for it if the sections are paralleled. Its not far off a 2A3 or 6B4 in that config so a circuit for either of those tubes could very well be the basis.
 
+1 with what gadget said.

Looks like it was wired up by someone who's very skilled and knowledgeable. The very clean layout and wire runs is very nice, top notch. At first, it looked similar to a Acrosound Williamson designed amp but most likely not.
 
I was hoping I could get some help identifying a tube amp that was in a storage unit I purchased. I doesn't seem to have name or markings. I apreseate any information on the amp I can get.

Thank you.
Tom
looks like a DIY build but man that sure looks great
 
Please Help with Identifying this Mono Block Tube amplifier

Hello All I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or just attach to this one. I'll start here. A few years ago a friend of mine asked me to help organize her Late Husbands Audio Collection that had been sitting in storage. He had an elaborate system he used to DJ parties with. She offered me a pair of these small Mono Block Tube amplifiers as a thank you gift for all my help. I wasn't sure what tubes they took. So I had my Tech look at them. He formulated a schematic and determined the tubes needed (see below). The Schematic calls for 6V6 and a 12AX7. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

20260801_141404.jpg20260801_141413.jpg20260801_141418.jpg20260801_141555.jpgHandwritten_2026-08-01_143524.jpg
 
well I can tell you thats not a 6V6, its entirely too big. I can make out "GC", so I'm going with 6L6GC. If those are the tubes that came with it, solid guess they are installed for a reason.

Single tube, probably good for ~6 watts or so, depending on exactly how its biased. Its a homebrew of some description but probably not a very complicated circuit. Single ended amps almost can't be complex, there just aren't enough parts in there. Should be easy enough to draw up a schematic..

Pinout wise most of the power tubes are the same, the big difference is how it biases and the voltage applied. Without those values its impossible to say if a 6V6 or a 6L6 makes more sense. A 6L6 will plug in and usually function where a 6V6 does, but a 6V6 at 6L6GC voltages and current will not survive. "

Similar with that first tube, all of the 12a*7 use the same pinout, but work into different loading. The 12ax7 tends to work with the smallest cathode resistors and largest plate resistors in that group since it has the highest gain but runs at the lowest amount of current and bias voltage.
 
Hey Gadget 73 As per the handwritten schematic Yes the Tech called for 6v6 tubes. But, did a little reading and the pins are the same so I chanced it and put in the 6L6 GC just to see if the amp even worked. It did but, I have since replaced the 6L6GC's with 6V6 S Tubes by JJ. The amp works and sounds fine. I was looking to find out of anyone knew who made this unit? I don't really have a use for it. So I am hoping to learn more and pass it along to someone who would be able to use these Mono Block Amps. I don't want to talk value here but, If If I sell them for Peanuts when I am sitting on Bars of Gold I'd hate wake up with Egg on my face.
 
A 6L6 of any variation takes about 2× the current to heat the filament than a 6V6 & will put more of a load on the power xfmr, albeit approximately .9 amps vs. .45 Amp isnt that much, maybe it'll handle it with ease, xfmr pretty big. . I'd stick with a 6V6 if you have access to one, especially if it sounds good.
And yes, those dont appear to be factory-produced units.
For the good of the order, post pics of the exposed underbellies, that will be most helpful to the helpers here.
 
Last edited:
its the voltage and plate current that concerns me. Without knowing either its impossible to say which tube makes more sense. A 6L6GC is rated to 500v and 30 watts plate dissipation, a 6V6 is good to 315v and 12 watts. Bit of a gap there.
 
Back
Top Bottom