• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need suggestions for scary movies.

Some favorite non-zombie scary movies (in all cases the originals, not whatever craptastic remakes, except where noted):

The Shining (Kubrick's, not TV remake)
Rosemary's Baby (<-- a bit "Omen-type")
The Exorcist (<-- a bit "Omen-type")
Halloween
The Birds
Psycho
Nosferatu (Werner Herzog)
Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau silent movie)
Fritz Lang's "M"
The Haunting
Deliverance
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original, not remake -- 7O's weirdness!)
The Hills Have Eyes (original, not remake -- more 7O's weirdness!)
The Thing (Howard Hawks' 1950 version)
Cloverfield (not a great movie, but some great moments/scares!)
Alien
Aliens
The Descent
The Ring (USA version, I haven't seen Japanese original)
The Last Exorcism (this one surprised me!)
 
The Haunting - the original
The Shining
Alien
Dracula, the Bela Lugosi version
Maybe Sweeny Todd?
 
Some 70s creepy classics:

Play Misty for Me - 1971 (Clint Eastwood)
Carrie - 1976 (Stephen King)
Audrey Rose - 1977 (Anthony Hopkins)
Eyes of Laura Mars - 1978 (John Carpenter)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1978 (Donald Sutherland)

For 70s paranoid thrillers, check out:

Parallax View - (Warren Beatty)
Three Days of the Condor - (Robert Redford)
Marathon Man - (Dustin Hoffman)
 
[. . .] For 70s paranoid thrillers, check out:

Parallax View - (Warren Beatty)
Three Days of the Condor - (Robert Redford)
Marathon Man - (Dustin Hoffman)

Yes, these are great. And also (though not exactly scary): All the President's Men.
 
Someone else mentioned it already, but I'll second Event Horizon. Creepy movie and one that still freaks me out even though I've seen it a few times. When I was younger The Serpent and the Rainbow was also very scary ... I haven't seen it in a long time though. It may not be that bad now.

-Matt
 
This is very tough to suggest scary movies to others.
Because we are all so different, and there isn't a single movie that scared me for the last 50 years or so. :eek:
I just don't get scared at all.

But comedies though, that I can help. :)

* 'Bout a mix of both? ... 'Young Frankenstein'?
 
Last edited:
Thank you all for the great suggestions. No Jane Austin marathon for me. :banana:

We have decided on the The Shining, The Ring (Japanese version) and The Descent. I have seen The Descent and now carry a flashlight everywhere I go. :D
 
How about a great serial killer movie like Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer. Michael Rooker is truly excellent in this movie. Or how about I Saw the Devil, another serial killer movie with a lot of suspense and pretty gruesome murder scenes.
 
The Ring, or the original Ringu.
The Blair Witch Project.

Both rely on building suspense and dread, not gore or special effects.
 
Back
Top Bottom