• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need these like a hole in the head...

I've come to the conclusion that the sum total of the surviving HiFi gear on Earth will in time all come to be owned by the handful of people (such as myself) who take it upon themselves to rescue this gear which has been cast off. We will all own *at least* 50 pieces of stereo gear, and occasionally sell or trade some of it to the likewise afflicted, only to walk into a thrift store soon afterwards and find <fill in name of hifi gear here> for a price that's just too good to pass up.

It's a sickness I tell ya.

50!?!? Jeez, I am WAAAaaayyy past the minimum to join the club.

OP, You know you CAN set speakers in front of other speakers.
I can get 3 levels deep before I need to purge/re-arrange.

Oh, and there ARE other rooms in a building.
And, there are more buildings...
Just saying.
 
OMG!LST's on the floor?? You have sinned, my son. For your penance you must give them to me, and then you may get the 23's.:D
 
Time to move out of the basement and start filling up the rest of the house.

You'll have to speak with my wife, which will basically land you on your a$$!
I've got two systems on the main floor now, I don't dare push it. She's supportive and tolerant, to a point.
 
50!?!? Jeez, I am WAAAaaayyy past the minimum to join the club.

OP, You know you CAN set speakers in front of other speakers.
I can get 3 levels deep before I need to purge/re-arrange.

Oh, and there ARE other rooms in a building.
And, there are more buildings...
Just saying.

You sound just like me. Same reasoning too. I'm 3 levels deep here but I'm not stacked all the way to the ceiling anymore like I was 2 months ago. I can see the back wall in my room finally. I just traded my JBL L-200Bs, JBL Apollos, Altec Madrids, a single pair of Quad ESL-57s, a few horns and a couple big rtrs. It barely made a difference. Whoever said this is a sickness... nailed it. Especially when you don't have the space for it but can't stop.
 
Last edited:
I just traded my JBL L-200Bs, JBL Apollos, Altec Madrids, a single pair of Quad ESL-57s, a few horns and a couple big rtrs. It barely made a difference. Whoever said this is a sickness... nailed it. Especially when you don't have the space for it but can't stop.

Well at least your sickness involves interesting and excellent sounding speakers, so many guys have a hoard of shabby, uninteresting and ordinary sounding stuff.
 
Quick! Rescue them before some kid buys then to tear them up to use the drivers in his kia!

Also, I didn't go back and take another look at the photo of you speaker collection but if that is the basement I would be very concerned about what would happen in the event of a flood down there. Can't tell, but maybe you have then propped up already on something? Just worried for ya man!
 
Well at least your sickness involves interesting and excellent sounding speakers, so many guys have a hoard of shabby, uninteresting and ordinary sounding stuff.

Yeah, they were all very fun to listen to. But I have multiple JBL compression drivers, slots and 2235H's to make a couple more big systems. And it's a hell of a lot easier storing just the drivers until I know exactly what I want to build. In the meantime, I'm still shedding gear. Most of it never gets used and I think I know what I like. I tried the smaller speaker route for the past year and a half. As soon as I re- unearthed the 4333As, the smaller speaker will just never do. But I've known that for a while. My plan is to get down to 2-3 pair. I was up to 24 at one point and they were all huge- it was ridiculously uncomfortable. I'm at 6 big pair now and plenty of Altec/ JBL/ Edgar/ Fostex and Janzen drivers and horns to play with. Plus I still have the stacked 57's. The current center panel is cut out for my Decca ribbons. I like them but I came up with a better idea. I have 17 JansZen e-stat tweeters and a couple nice working interfaces. It's gonna be a Levinson HQJ man! I believe I can run 5, maybe up to 6 tweeter panels off each interface..... but I'm straying.. that's for a different thread. To the OP.. I would be happy as a clam if that's all the space my audio took up.
 
Last edited:
Quick! Rescue them before some kid buys then to tear them up to use the drivers in his kia!

Also, I didn't go back and take another look at the photo of you speaker collection but if that is the basement I would be very concerned about what would happen in the event of a flood down there. Can't tell, but maybe you have then propped up already on something? Just worried for ya man!

They are all off the floor. The basement is pretty dry, and we are are on high ground, a mile up from the Hudson River. Only time we had a water event was when the hot water tank went. Appreciate your concern! :thmbsp:

I'm going back today and grab them. I can't help it! My wife's going to just roll her eyes.
 
They are all off the floor. The basement is pretty dry, and we are are on high ground, a mile up from the Hudson River. Only time we had a water event was when the hot water tank went. Appreciate your concern! :thmbsp:

I'm going back today and grab them. I can't help it! My wife's going to just roll her eyes.

I'd just tell her your fixing them for a buddy.
 
They are all off the floor. The basement is pretty dry, and we are are on high ground, a mile up from the Hudson River. Only time we had a water event was when the hot water tank went. Appreciate your concern! :thmbsp:

I'm going back today and grab them. I can't help it! My wife's going to just roll her eyes.

What took so long? My wife has a similar affliction so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
 
Put the bullet through the hole in my head. They're sitting in my car now. 19.99 plus tax.
 
Given your taste in speakers, which seems to be similar to mine, I think you'll really like them. Simple crossover, too. You know the drill...recap, re-seal, new gaskets. Let us know how you think they compare to the Fives and Sixes.
 
Back
Top Bottom