• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm 15 yrs again.....

2fives

Active Member
I'm 15 yrs old again.....

and walking into my Radio Shack and seeing these. Found one at the thrift shop today.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4169 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4169 (Large).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Oh I remember seeing those as a kid too. I never could justify buying the realistic tapes though when I could get my preferred TDKs more cheaply down the street at the record store. I'm pretty sure that the tape which you have there came from the period not long after after Tandy acquired Memorex, and all of their better formulations became relabeled Memorex tapes.
 
Sweet.
I remember using those tapes. If I remember correctly the RS manager would always warn us of head wear with "metal" tapes.
Anyone else ever hear this?
 
Sweet.
I remember using those tapes. If I remember correctly the RS manager would always warn us of head wear with "metal" tapes.
Anyone else ever hear this?

Yes, I was told the same thing by a RS manager when I was 14 or 15 and had just bought a cassette deck capable of handling metal & cro2 tapes. The guy had been there a long time so I took his advice and bought very few when I was taping a lot back then. Now, I wish I had gone for the better tapes.

Cest la vie...otoh, I don't think RS has had any "long-term" employees anymore; the place is a revolving door of people who know about nothing but cellphones and video games. Once day, on my third trip in buying lugs, caps, whatever, the kid asks me what kind of bomb I was building - in all seriousness. Said he thought I was one of those guys blowing stuff up on youtube. I told him I was adding an input jack to my neighbor's '77 Pioneer Centrex stereo for her CD player - he asks me why did she buy a stereo without a CD player in the first place? :bash:
 
Once day, on my third trip in buying lugs, caps, whatever, the kid asks me what kind of bomb I was building - in all seriousness. Said he thought I was one of those guys blowing stuff up on youtube. I told him I was adding an input jack to my neighbor's '77 Pioneer Centrex stereo for her CD player - he asks me why did she buy a stereo without a CD player in the first place? :bash:

Changed world..:thumbsdn:Whats a pioneer??
 
I don't think RS has had any "long-term" employees anymore; the place is a revolving door of people who know about nothing but cellphones and video games.
Thats because they no longer have real qualified technicians like they used to. Basically they only hire kids my age to be salesmen and pay em minimum wage and thats it.
 
Once day, on my third trip in buying lugs, caps, whatever, the kid asks me what kind of bomb I was building - in all seriousness. Said he thought I was one of those guys blowing stuff up on youtube. I told him I was adding an input jack to my neighbor's '77 Pioneer Centrex stereo for her CD player - he asks me why did she buy a stereo without a CD player in the first place? :bash:
Kids these days don't know a damn thing about the history of audio formats. For all they know CD's have been around "forever".
 
Back
Top Bottom