• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

I'm a sucker for a hefty quality remote control...

AlphaEcho35

Super Member
I admit it....the quality of the hand held remote control is now as important to me as just about any other feature on a decent preamp.

It started with the Emotiva XDA-2. I was impressed to find a nice aluminum remote control with buttons that at least appear to be polished metal.

attachment.php


Then came the Emotiva USP-1. Another high quality remote control, with many convenient features on it as well.

attachment.php


For a while, I had Jolida JD50A. Even though its totally passive design didn't mesh well with my single ended tube amps, the unit had an impressive aluminum remote with tactile metal buttons.

attachment.php


So now I'm on the hunt for a tube based preamp and find that manufacturers don't really showcase their remote control. I don't want a plastic little remote with chiclet buttons. I want something with quality.

Anybody else feel this way? And, more importantly, have you found some good examples of vendors that put some thought in their remote controls?
 

Attachments

  • Jolida Remote.jpg
    Jolida Remote.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 387
  • Emotiva-XDA-2-remote.jpg
    Emotiva-XDA-2-remote.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 384
  • USP-1.jpg
    USP-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 385
Register to hide this ad
My father who passed away few weeks ago was really particular about classy well made stuff, like you...I never had the eye for it somehow, but I would like to follow in my father's footstep soon...

That's good that you are into quality - probably your stuff will give you a lasting pleasure...
 
Bryston remotes are pretty epic too. Machined out from a block of aluminum with clicky metal buttons, a solid aluminum panel on the back, and powered by a 9V battery.

w0sd34q.jpg


Always impressed me.
 
The optional Naim R-COM remote is about as good as they come and about as expensive as they come at $600. Made of machined billet aluminum with motion sensitive backlighting, it's simplicity, great functionality and bullet proof build quality wrapped into one.

19375.jpg
 
The optional Naim R-COM remote is about as good as they come and about as expensive as they come at $600. Made of machined billet aluminum with motion sensitive backlighting, it's simplicity, great functionality and bullet proof build quality wrapped into one.

19375.jpg

Completely agree on the Naim remote. It's a work of art but it's twice as expensive as it should be. -John
 
It's good to know that it does come bundled with their $22,500 CD555 CD player as well as their $28,500 NAC552 preamp if you don't feel like spending the $600 to replace the standard NARCOM4 or NARCOM6 that comes with other Naim pieces.. :D

Completely agree on the Naim remote. It's a work of art but it's twice as expensive as it should be. -John
 
At the other end of the spectrum, I also like Apple's aluminum remote control. For $25, it's simple, sleek and made of aluminum.

I have several of them which I use with various Macs, which also works brilliantly with XBMC to watch videos, as well as using one for my Mytek 192 DSD DAC.

apple-remote.png
 
The heavy metal remote for the Krell S-300i is impressive. Even after it falls out of your hand onto a table and dents it nicely.
 

Attachments

  • images krell remote.jpg
    images krell remote.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 61
My father who passed away few weeks ago was really particular about classy well made stuff, like you...I never had the eye for it somehow, but I would like to follow in my father's footstep soon...

That's good that you are into quality - probably your stuff will give you a lasting pleasure...

First off, sorry about your father. Sounds like he knew about stuff that was well made and built to last. Like they say; "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Your desire to follow in your father's foot-steps is spot-on.

I also agree with your second paragraph.

Cheers. :)
 
My father who passed away few weeks ago was really particular about classy well made stuff, like you...I never had the eye for it somehow, but I would like to follow in my father's footstep soon...

That's good that you are into quality - probably your stuff will give you a lasting pleasure...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like your Dad was a great guy.

To me, the remote is the physical connection between your hand and your gear. I want something that feels as good as the sound I am hearing.

The thought of using some cheesy little credit card remote just doesn't do it for me.
 
At the other end of the spectrum, I also like Apple's aluminum remote control. For $25, it's simple, sleek and made of aluminum.

I have several of them which I use with various Macs, which also works brilliantly with XBMC to watch videos, as well as using one for my Mytek 192 DSD DAC.

apple-remote.png

I've got two of those and often wondered if they could be used to work with some type of preamp motorized volume control. I see the Alps motorized volume controller available in quite a few places.

The Apple remote is a nice little machined remote.
 
Audiocubics makes a nice little passive volume controller with several options for the remote control. The price is a little steep for me for just volume control, but it is quite nice.

img_03p.jpg


I have no affiliation with Audiocubics. I do have a friend that owns one with the walnut remote. It's not much bigger than the Apple remote.
 
Has anyone ever run across a remote control interface, using the apple remotes and something like the Alps motorized volume control that could be incorporated into a new preamp build?
I am considering building my own preamp and would want to incorporate something like that. Actually, even the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid pre would be worth a gamble if it only had a remote control option.....
 
Cayin makes great products with a remote that can double as a weapon. Solid and feels great in your hand.
 

Attachments

  • remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom