• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm a sucker for a hefty quality remote control...

I like these remotes but they are all OEM. Did anyone every make a really solid learning universal remote?
 
Okay... I found some neat stuff at Bent Audio tonight.

THREE-(800x600).jpg


This may work for adding remote control to the preamp of my choice....
 
I think the Philips Pronto 9800 weighs a couple of pounds and it'll open the garage door and start the car.
 
Last edited:
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player Remote Control (Illuminated: Backlight function is motion sensitive) :: Got that ::

------
0506toshiba.2.jpg

--------- * Brushed ^ aluminum.
 
Last edited:
I have the Naim remote (came with a CD555), although I have now switched to a Naim NDS server (remote is now a iPad).

I have a really heavy Levinson remote for the Reference No. 32 linestage (I no longer use the Levinson, although I still have it). This thing can be a lethal weapon, given its concentrated mass.

My current linestage remote is a small, light plastic thing that looks a bit like a Star Trek Phaser; it is used only to control volume.
 
Thank you for those kind words...

First off, sorry about your father. Sounds like he knew about stuff that was well made and built to last. Like they say; "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Your desire to follow in your father's foot-steps is spot-on.

I also agree with your second paragraph.

Cheers. :)

Thank you those kind healing words - it's comforting to find supporters in hard times...:thmbsp:
 
I use a Sony RM-AV2500. It's done everything I needed plus and has lasted years with out fail, only programmed it once. Lights up, runs macros.

http://www.remotecentral.com/av2500/index.html

photo01.jpg

I've had the RM-AV2000 (prior version of the 2500) for 19 years now, it controls everything in my modern HTS including my Oppo BDP-103. :banana:

Sony still supports it on their web site, and the learning feature means it won't become outdated. :thmbsp:
 
Finally settled on a remote

i know this thread is a little stale, but I figured I would report back on what I ultimately settled for on a remote control - the remote that comes with the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (and probably most of their other models.)

Nice hefty aluminum remote, milled out of a solid piece. Buttons are metal too. It is quite simplistic, having only up and down volume, but it will do. It would have been nice to have a mute and a power button, but I am enjoying this amplifier so much, I can live with it.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • RogueRemote.jpg
    RogueRemote.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 35
Update on the remote control saga.... just found this on the Bay and took a chance. It's actually a very nice and solid universal remote control. Machined out of solid aluminum and the buttons appear to be metal. You can get it in silver or black. So far, I have programmed it to replace the little remote that can with my Schiit Freya+ preamp. It has much better range than the little Schiit remote. I am going to see how many other devices I can incorporate into this one remote...

My current audio remotes: Schiit (left); new universal remote (2nd from left); Audiocubics Walnut remote (2nd from right) Rogue Audio remote (right)

IMG_0552.jpeg

Programming is pretty easy - I am going to copy the instructions here, since it did not come with the remote and I had to do a little googling around to find it:



Learning Remote Control


The new all-aluminum remote control with learning function. Good hand feel and strong texture. Powered by 2pcs AAA batteries, remote control distance is long and easy to replace.

Material: The buttons and shell are precision processed with aluminum alloy precision code numerical control equipment.

Buttons: 13 buttons.

Power supply: 2pcs AAA batteries. (default are not include this batteries)

Appearance: length 167mm x width 47mm x thickness 17mm.

Process: The surface of the shell is brushed, the silver characters are silk-screened black, and the black characters are silk-printed golden. (Different batches may have process color difference, subject to the actual product)

Remote control distance: unobstructed environment> 10 meters.

Learning method:

Image 1-15-21 at 11.04 AM.jpeg

①. According to the figure above, switch the fixed code/learning code conversion jumper to the learning code mode (the factory default is the learning code mode). - IT IS SOLDERED IN THE LEARNING MODE

② installed with AAA batteries , and the master remote controller to be learned is prepared and the battery is installed. At the same time, it must be ensured that the master remote controller is in normal use and encoded in NEC format to successfully learn.

③. Long press the SET button, the LED will light up at this time and then turn to highlight, indicating that the remote control has entered the learning state.

④. Use the female remote control to compare the transmitter head of this aluminum remote control to about 2cm, and press the key to learn on the female remote control, wait for the LED of the aluminum remote control to flash, indicating that the data of the female remote control has been successfully received ; Then press the button on the aluminum remote control that needs to save the key value, wait until the LED stops flashing and keeps on, indicating that the remote control code of this button has been saved successfully.

⑤. Repeat the learning action of step ④ until you have learned all the keys that need to be learned. After pressing the SET button again, the LED light will go out and the learning state will be exited.

⑥. Test all the learned keys. If there is any one key are not successful learning, then re-learn this keys. It is not necessary to re-learn all the keys.

The learning keys is on the PCB back side. as following photo show. not the remote facade "Set" key.
 
Eh. Best and most used remote I've got is the old universal Dish Network unit.

61gMfS2NjWL._AC_SY355_.jpg


I've managed to find codes to program all my AV stuff with it anyway. Pretty durable - broke one in half crunching it in the lazyboy once, but it still worked long enough to get another one. Replacements are cheap, and it only takes a minute or so to enter the codes into a new one.

Only hard part is finding the posty note I wrote the codes on last time ... Here posty note ... where'd ya go, posty note ... ;-}

I know this thread is a little stale


Stale was obvious when I saw a post about the Sony RM-AV2500 - mine turned to dust years ago. Then again, you posted back in 2015, so it's now gone from stale to mummified ... <G>
 
Last edited:
I’m a big fan of a good remote too..
Many pieces of bardware i wont even consider buying used unless it has a remote.
The remote for my Emotiva dac is sturdy and very heavy... overkill for what it is.
Of the dozen remotes i have, the late 80’s “alpine era” luxman receiver remotes are very good and no issues..
Hands down best remote in my system is the HK PT 2300 preamp remote that is “plastic” but never once an issue with it..7CBCC3F3-E8BE-47B5-ABCB-EF79B031A9F7.jpeg
This remote is from 1990, 30 years old and not a crazy confusing layout like so many Denon, Sony and Onkyo remotes..
You can easily find your button and navigate by feel.
They had the Feng Shui of remotes mastered back in the olden days
 
One of the things I like the most about my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC is the remote. It's all Aluminum with metal buttons and feels very substantial in the hand.
images
 
The remote to my ARC LS17SE has heft and is aluminum.
Regards,
Jim

ls.jpg
 
Fair warning to potential buyers of equipment that doesn't list the remote as part of the package. Say what you will about "universal" remotes with a learn function, but that doesn't always work. The Lexicon CP-1 is a good example. Killer component for those who are into that sort of thing, but useless without the remote. Unit switching is minimal, and little chance of success either programming or deciphering all the myriad of options using a universal.

PS - for those of you into that sort of thing ... I got mine ... complete with a good remote ... neener neener. ;-}
 
The remote for my old Music Hall Maverick SACD player was quite a hefty affair made from brushed, machined aluminum. In a pinch, it think it could used as weapon.

(photo from the 'net)
2782963-e628aa22-music-hall-maverick-sacd-and-up-sampling-cd-player.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom