• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm bidding on an item on ebay, bingo!

Which i'm fine with, I have a max in mind. I never bid higher than my max, if I don't win it so be it. Right now its sitting very low and I know it will increase. I think it was a legit retraction.

I'll send some positive karma your way Brad. You'll get the item. :)
 
Kinda takes the fairness out of ebay, the whole sniper idea. I've used it but only on something I really need like a part, audio equipment comes and goes.

Not unfair at all. Literally, all it's doing is placing the bid you would have made anyway. The reason to use sniping s/w is that it lets you place your bid exactly when you want to, even though you're out to dinner with the wife. That's all. It just clicks the mouse for you. :yes:
 
eBay doesn't do much for me these days. In many cases I can find items on Amazon for close to what a lot of sellers are asking. And in the case of "vintage" items, well, there are always more.
 
Shill bidding. I'll bet the final sales price will be within a few dollars of your supposedly secret max bid.
 
All this is part of the reason I haven't bought anything on e-bay for a couple years now... It just isn't what it used to be, and good deals are kinda far and few between... Too many people gaming the system.
 
What if you were bidding and didn't get the high bid and you stopped bidding and went on to plan B and bought something else. Then the person who was the high bidder retracts and you are now in first place. Are you still required to buy if you win? What if plan be leaves you out of ducats?
 
All this is part of the reason I haven't bought anything on e-bay for a couple years now... It just isn't what it used to be, and good deals are kinda far and few between... Too many people gaming the system.

I just wait for "buy it now". If i like the price..Its mine! No bidder wars for me!If i have to have it? Snipe, but that is rare.
 
Sniping is the only way to go.

I've been an ebay shopper for about twelve years. Up until recently I always sniped. My last few purchases I've tried playing nice. That's like swimming with the sharks. Screw that noise. I'm going back to the old me.
 
I just wait for "buy it now". If i like the price..Its mine! No bidder wars for me!If i have to have it? Snipe, but that is rare.

I've seen very little at a BIN price that I was willing to pay. Everyone thinks they own the most valuable one of what ever they have.
 
Kinda takes the fairness out of ebay, the whole sniper idea. I've used it but only on something I really need like a part, audio equipment comes and goes.

Nothing unfair about sniping, particularly from a buyer's point of view. What purpose does it serve a potential buyer to place a bid before the last second? You're only potentially driving up the price. As a seller I love seeing it happen, but it only makes sense, as a buyer, to snipe with your max price.
 
I've seen very little at a BIN price that I was willing to pay. Everyone thinks they own the most valuable one of what ever they have.

+1. And the fees involved with ebay now. I don't bother buying or selling as much now. I sold a pricey pair of concert tixs a couple of years ago, all I wanted to get out of them was what I had in (face value), I almost lost money after ebay and PP took their cut.
 
What if you were bidding and didn't get the high bid and you stopped bidding and went on to plan B and bought something else. Then the person who was the high bidder retracts and you are now in first place. Are you still required to buy if you win? What if plan be leaves you out of ducats?

I haven't used ebay for a long time myself, but I believe if you win an auction, that is basically a contract to buy the item. If you didn't retract your bid when you bought the other item, it's your own problem if you don't have the the cash. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

OTOH if a shill bidder can retract a bid after the auction closes, why can't you? :scratch2:
 
Nothing unfair about sniping, particularly from a buyer's point of view. What purpose does it serve a potential buyer to place a bid before the last second? You're only potentially driving up the price. As a seller I love seeing it happen, but it only makes sense, as a buyer, to snipe with your max price.

Depends on how you look at it, you are looking at it from one perspective, but not another. Fairness as I see is people bidding by using the methods provided by ebay to place bids on an auction, not some automated program that comes along and does it for you within the last 5 seconds of an auction, it may as well be a BIN auction. I understand the concept and have used it in the past but I see it as a form of cheating on an auction just to win, you wouldn't see that happening in a real auction.

It's only my opinion.
 
Back
Top Bottom