• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Im watching Dr. Strangelove

Peter Sellers was the 'star' of the movie (especially given his three roles in it!), but Dr. Strangelove provides a stellar example of what would later be called 'an ensemble cast'.
 
sandy g pm'ed me and told me to watch it some time ago, and it is great. i should take this oppertunity to thank him

thanks buddy, good call :yes:
 
It's a great enough movie that I'm breaking out my VHS copy and watching it as soon as I hit submit! Waaaaaaaaaahooooooooo! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooo!
 
Yeah, seems like I remember Sellers was supposed to play the pilot, too-but he hurt/broke/whatever his foot, & they got Slim Pickens to do it. But Slim was very good in that role-can you really imagine anyone else but him doing it? IIRC, the wheelchair scenes w/Dr Strangelove were real-Sellers was off his feet for awhile, because of his injury.
 
Not only was the acting superb on all accounts, what really caught my attention was the outstanding use of lighting, locations, hand-held camera combat sequences, composition, your eyes are drawn to where Kubrick wants them at all times. Only in black and white can you capture these things, I don't think the movie would of been as powerful in color.

One thing that always cracks me up, is the scene when Strangelove is in the wheelchair and he's speaking to the President and the men are standing behind him. When he begins hitting his arm to get it free, the Russian ambassador starts laughing.
 
I'm amazed they got away w/such an obvious "masturbatory" scene like that in '64. Of course, that was also the year of "Goldfinger"-remember "Pussy Galore ?" Somewhere, I bet some folks were having double-dying duck fits over that....<grin>
 
The line about having a good time in Vegas with the stuff in the survival kit is a crack up.

Nothing like a .45, Nylons, chocolote bars and condoms to get the party started.
 
kc8mob said:
Yesterday my mom ordered the DVD through her club she's in.

I just had to have it. :banana:

The DVD is great if your a hard core fan of this movie (it's in my top five maybe 1st) in that it has a lot of extras on backround information and interviews and stuff that just makes the movie all the more amazing. For instant the U.S. Air Force would not cooperate much at all, esp when they needed to build the B-52 interier sets, classified I guess, so they had to research and guess as best they could. could have fooled me, I always thought one aspect that gave this move such a hard sharp dark edge was it's realism, esp in the B-52, they really pulled off being professional cold war warriors just doing their jobs.

"Sorry sir, that original range estimate was based on a fuel loss of xxx pounds per min, at our present loss etc etc.....

Damn it, you promised to get me the primary...."

Lefty
 
"Dr.Strangelove" a timeless classic! This movie just gets better and better as the years go by even though the "cold-war" is long over. I have a few books about Stanley kubricks work and I read that originally....Strangelove was supposed to be a SERIOUS drama, but two things happened. One was that the screenplay as written was so outrageous that Kubrick decided it just had to be made as black humor. Another was that at that time another "cold-war-nuc" movie was being made, a movie called "Fail Safe" starring Henry Fonda as the president of the US. I'm sure some of you have seen it.....think Dr.Strangelove...but very serious instead, NO humor in "Fail Safe" and it too is a really good movie.Both "Fail Safe" and "Strangelove" were inspired by a book called "Red Alert" by Peter George. According to what I read, Kubricks partner and producer, James B. Harris...was not happy that Kubrick decided make DS as a comedy and kept insisting to Stanley that it should be kept serious. Harris and Kubrick parted company after Strangelove and never made a film together again although they remained freinds. Harris went on in the late 1960's and made his own cold-war-nuc movie, a film called: "The Bedford Incident" starring Richard Widmark. This movie got critical acclaim but failed at the box office.

So you have 3 outstanding nuclear conflict movies in the mid to late sixties Strangelove of course, and two more that have a "Kubrick-connection".
Kubricks instints were correct in making Strangelove the way he did.

Anyone who has not, definetly check out "Fail Safe" & "Bedford Incident".


Russ
 
Thanks for the movie recommendations Russ. I was told by many people to watch Strangelove, but no one told how damn funny it was. So really I was thinking I was going to be watching a serious movie, but it turned out to be funny as hell, and better then I thought just because of it.
 
Mark W. said:
The line about having a good time in Vegas with the stuff in the survival kit is a crack up.

Nothing like a .45, Nylons, chocolote bars and condoms to get the party started.

The line about having a good time in Vegas was dubbed over after the film was filmed. JFK had just been shot and the original line was " A guy could have a pretty good time in Dallas with all this stuff."

Got to love when Slim Pickens opens the safe to retrieve his cowboy hat.


Yehaw!!!!


Jim
 
Pause the DVD when General Turgidson is holding the book in front of him and check the title. Anyone know the ISBN for this publication?<g>

Doc
 
I just spent the last 2 days up at M.E.P.S in Columbus, I brought StrangeLove with me, all of the recruits loved it.
 
Yeah, "Fail Safe"...Any movie w/ Henry Fonda, J.R., & Boss Hogg ALL in it has GOT to be good <grin>...another good one from this same era is "Seven Days in May"..Sandy, bootleggin' at Lauriann's computer..
 
Back
Top Bottom