• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Im watching Dr. Strangelove

Agree on all the preceding!

Not mentioned however is the intensity of the battle when the AFB is retaken. The hand-held camera & shaky shots remind me of the on the ground film from the Tet Offensive much later on. (This footage precedes Col. "Bat" Guano's appearance in the movie BTW.)

Strangelove is truly a wonderful work.
 
During the Army attack on Burpelson AFB, in one scene, an American soldier is shown using a WW2 German Schmeisser submachine gun, hardly standard issue for 1950s/1960s US Combat troops. Ooops.

Jim
 
Jim Eck said:
During the Army attack on Burpelson AFB, in one scene, an American soldier is shown using a WW2 German Schmeisser submachine gun, hardly standard issue for 1950s/1960s US Combat troops. Ooops.

Jim

Did you note if it was an MP38 or MP40?

I was thinking MP38 because in one shot it looked milled rather than stamped......

:scratch2:

Watch the scene for the composition. Artistic license is allowed.
 
Actually what you fellers saw was probably the replacement for the Thompson Sub machine gun, in .45 ACP.

they did look kinda of Euorpean, but that's because they were designed in Britian.


I could be wrong though........
 
I can recall the first time I saw this movie - probably 20 years ago or more. I was cable surfing, came across the beginning just after the title, so I didn't know what I was watching.

I was convinced at first it was a 'serious' movie - and I didn't fully realize it was a comedy until Ripper, culminated his explanation to Mandrake by intoning the words "sap and impurify all our precious bodily fluids"

Then I realized I was watching something insane, over-the-top, and brilliant. And I've loved the film ever since!
 
Doncha just love the "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" score, too ? I guess that was also part of the point- those "Johnnies" would never come marching home, they had no home to come marching to....
 
The Bomb Run - performed by The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. One of my favorites. I turn up the volume on it every now and then. Makes the neighbors wonder...

Doc
 
If I recall there is also a great piece of music playing as a background to the opening scenes involving the B-52 air refueling. Anybody?
 
Back
Top Bottom