• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Im watching Dr. Strangelove

I think some dude named Laurie Johnson was the conductor for the music in the film. The end music was "We'll Meet Again" from '45 by a Vera Lynn, IIRC.
 
...Keep Smilin' Thru, just like you always do, til the blue skies melt the dark clouds far away...So will you please say hello, to the folks that I know, tell them I won't be long...They'll be happy to know, that as you saw me go, I was singing this song...We'll Meet Again, Don't know Where, Don't know When, but I know we'll meet again Some...Sunny..Day...(Rousing crescendo...)
 
Sandy G said:
I think some dude named Laurie Johnson was the conductor for the music in the film. The end music was "We'll Meet Again" from '45 by a Vera Lynn, IIRC.


Wasn't Vera Lynn a theme in a pink floyd tune?????
 
If I recall it was not Otis Redding's rendition of "Try a Little Tenderness". It was very sedate and kind of dreamy.

Vera Lynn was an English recording artist, and that was a big song over there during WWII. I used to get a lot of mileage out of her when I was DJing for "WWJZ, 640 on the AM dial, playing you ALL the hits of the 30's, 40's AND 50's."
 
Last edited:
"Try" is an old song, WW2-era at least, I think. 3 Dog Night also did a version in '68. I have a VERY funny version done by Jack Webb-Yes, THAT Jack Webb-half sung/half recited as if he's reading some perp his rights. Jack might have been a good producer, passable actor, but he pretty much STUNK as a singer...Still think the version in "Strangelove" was recorded for the movie...There were SO many things that are just so "right" about "Strangelove"..That opening scene of simulated aerial copulation between a B-52 & the KC-135 is just one of many...
 
That opening scene was our bread and butter refueling for the first 15 years of my career. Two or three times a week minimum with all the bombers that were located here on, or close to the eastern seaboard. Now I get a bomber maybe once a year.
 
Yeah, as it says in the movie "SAC kept a large fleet of B-52s airborne 24 hrs a day to guard against surprise nuclear attack..."
 
One third of the bomber fleet was on airborne alert (live nukes aboard), one third was on ground alert (nukes aboard), and one third was getting depot level/routine maintenance or flying unarmed training missions. I believe the Palomares accident ended the airborne alert for bombers. Tankers were divided up the same way, of course with no nukes aboard.
 
Is that the one where they crashed- because of an airborne colission- in Spain, & a nuke blew up-but didn't explode- but the Gov't had to transport a bunch of Spanish soil back over here as hazardous waste ? I also heard they dumped a nuke on Rock Hill, S.C., in 1958 during a training flight, but fortunately, it didn't blow up.
 
Yes on both counts, but for Palomares the weapon ended up in the sea. The bomber collided with a tanker during air refueling. The other one (S.C.) I believe was a B-47 incident.
 
Yep, that's right; I remember now, the Rock Hill business was a 47. I understand 47s were not exactly easy to fly, & were NOT aerobatic at all-not even the slightest of manuvers were a no-no in one. But the 47 was what they learned how to build big jets on,it might have been sort of a turkey, but led the way to the B-52, one of the most magnificent airplanes ever designed.
 
Toasted Almond said:
Yes on both counts, but for Palomares the weapon ended up in the sea. The bomber collided with a tanker during air refueling. The other one (S.C.) I believe was a B-47 incident.

I could recall wrong, but I thought that the Palomares incident resulted in one weapon falling on to land and one in to the sea. Took a long time to recover the one in the ocean.

did a Wiki search and it was four bombs lost, 3 on land and one in the sea:

"On January 17, 1966 a B-52 bomber of the USAF Strategic Air Command crashed into a KC-135 tanker while refuelling. Of the four hydrogen bombs that it carried, three were found on land, while the fourth was lost at sea. It was recovered eighty days later. 1,750 tons of contaminated material were excavated and sent to South Carolina for disposal."

Cool choice, South Carolina :D

Lefty
 
Last edited:
One of my fav bits of dialouge from DS went something like this:

"....we've got a return to base confirmation from ALL the planes except the two you shot down!.....but NOW you say one might only be damaged?....Look! I'm Sorry Dimitri....I Know they're flying low and jamming your radar but its initiative they're trained to do it!!"


Russ
 
Just to correct skippy ps, my father was not blacklisted after the HUAC hearings, he testified as a friendly witness for the Government (much to his regret). He made some thirty, yes thirty movies between 1952-58. Most were lousy B-movie's, but did make a few great films such as 'The Killing' in 1956.

Between 1958 and 1968 he made only one move - Dr. Strangelove. He spent this time sailing his schooner to Tahiti which took a year, writing his autobiography 'Wanderer', getting married and having a couple of kids, one of which is me.
 
Your dad sounds like a guy that it would have been WAY cool to sit & listen to him tell his tales..I bet he had some good ones..
 
Back
Top Bottom