• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

IMF owners thread!

Visual inspection might be all you need to do, fingers crossed it is an obvious bad solder joint
Found the problem...operator error! I had the Bass line going to the two bass drivers polarity reversed :rolleyes: It threw me because they didnt sound out of phase at all, just quieter than the other speaker. Anyhow, all sorted. Thanks for your input ;)
 
I cannot find a schematic diagram of the crossover filter PCB of the IMF Super Compact II speakers. Who can help me?
Might be in this thread.


Athanasios
 
Might be in this thread.


Athanasios
Noops afaics
 
Hello. Is there anyone in the group that can answer a few technical but long winded questions on the ALS40 speaker?
I recently acquired a pair of ALS40's (not MkII) and the upper 8 inch woofers were in sad shape and there is considerable mistrust if they are original.
I intend to rebuild the Crossovers using the original cap specifications if I can (haven't checked with Falcon Acoustics yet).
Question: Are the Crossovers between the ALS40 and ALS40 Mk2 similar in specification?
I have located a couple of likely replacement 8" speakers that I'm hoping might swap right in. option 1 are a set of 8" from a pair of Ditton 15's , and the other is a set of IMF 8" from an unknown model however they visually match what seen in images of the ALS40 Mk2 (ribbed cones).
 
Are the Crossovers between the ALS40 and ALS40 Mk2 similar
The IMF40-IIs that I once serviced had 5 caps on a main filter board and 2 on a small PCB that was mounted behind the speaker terminal. ALS30 filters were the same as used in ALS40-I, if I remember well. Be careful about your choice, because IMF design is very critical with respect to filter tweaks (and of course driver swaps), which may have a huge impact on the sound. BW, Martin
 
The IMF40-IIs that I once serviced had 5 caps on a main filter board and 2 on a small PCB that was mounted behind the speaker terminal. ALS30 filters were the same as used in ALS40-I, if I remember well. Be careful about your choice, because IMF design is very critical with respect to filter tweaks (and of course driver swaps), which may have a huge impact on the sound. BW, Martin
Thanks for responding. This sets has a 2nd small PCB mounted just below the Mid driver. I guess I'll start by swapping in new Caps of the same spec. I dont think my old ears would notice a difference between speakers.
 
Here is a mk I crossover 2 x 60nf, 2x 6nf. 1x 4nf. I thing the difference between mk I and mk II is probably in the coil , specially the midrange frequency the cut is at 350hz for the mk II and 375hz for the mk I , a bit more open in the mid section. That is the difference in the tls 50 and prof.monitor compare to the old version
 

Attachments

  • 20260719_190524.jpg
    20260719_190524.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 11
Here is a mk I crossover 2 x 60nf, 2x 6nf. 1x 4nf. I thing the difference between mk I and mk II is probably in the coil , specially the midrange frequency the cut is at 350hz for the mk II and 375hz for the mk I , a bit more open in the mid section. That is the difference in the tls 50 and prof.monitor compare to the old version
This is the crossover from an ALS30, which had an ALS-II marking on its PCB.

1784504697380.jpeg
 
Here is a mk I crossover 2 x 60nf, 2x 6nf. 1x 4nf. I thing the difference between mk I and mk II is probably in the coil , specially the midrange frequency the cut is at 350hz for the mk II and 375hz for the mk I , a bit more open in the mid section. That is the difference in the tls 50 and prof.monitor compare to the old version
Best pictures I have of the crossover without removing it at this point
 

Attachments

  • 5852.jpg
    5852.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 5856.jpg
    5856.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 15
Both speakers are peerless, the bottom one with rough finish have old small magnétique, not ceramic, the one on top paper cone rubber suround, very big magnet, with like 1 1/2 " coil .usually it can be a kef b200 sp 1014 1" coil.
 

Attachments

  • 20260719_200251.jpg
    20260719_200251.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20260719_200847.jpg
    20260719_200847.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 3
Your photos it's a mk II not shure als 40 more like als 30 mkII, mk I dont have t-rap , the coils are glue to the bord. At the terminal I have a capacitor. 1nf 100v
 
Back
Top Bottom