• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

IMF owners thread!

I wecome thoughts on the following.

I have aquired a pair of TDL Monitors that I plan to replace my IMF TLS50 mk1s with.
The IMF are very easy to live with, not fussy on placement and loads of low frequency extension, a hard act to follow.
My hope was that the TDLs would provide for better imaging due to the more modern speaker layout and even lower bass extension.

The problem I have is the bass extension is not nearly as good as with the IMFs.
All the drivers are working .My thoughts at the moment are maybe it's a room modes issue (something I've not had to deal with before), or less likely a recap needed. I recaped the IMFs so am fully aware of the potential benefits, but they did have those horrible oil/paper caps. Im not sure the TDL would benefit to any where the same degree.
Re room modes I'm still trying different speaker positions at the moment

If anyone has recaped TDL Monitor did it make any difference?
Which TDL? The big ones offer a bitch of a load to the amplifier and that does affect the bass response quite noticeably.
 
Hello IMF fanatics, I was looking to EMI speakers and found this picture of IMF compact Mk I, tweeter EMI, midranges EMI, Woofer peerless.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250908_235059_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20250908_235059_Chrome.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 9
Hi, Mike (madswitcher)for you question on what model are your speakers, they are the professionnal monitor and are the last Prof.reference standard. Like my Mk III improved became reference standard in the end of their productivity with the addition of the reference standard plate on top of IMF logo on the front grill.Mike why do you need the crossover diagram of prof. Mk I, II or even III.
 
Which TDL? The big ones offer a bitch of a load to the amplifier and that does affect the bass response quite noticeably.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been recaping them. Yes the big ones with tweeters and supertweeters. Unlike my IMF TLS50s they don't produce enough low frequency bass at lower volumes. Also compared to the IMFs the woofer surrounds feel stiff. I'm driving them with a single AHB2.
 
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been recaping them. Yes the big ones with tweeters and supertweeters. Unlike my IMF TLS50s they don't produce enough low frequency bass at lower volumes. Also compared to the IMFs the woofer surrounds feel stiff. I'm driving them with a single AHB2.
TL speakers need some volume to breathe. I have IMF RSPM, bass section suck on low volume
 
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been recaping them. Yes the big ones with tweeters and supertweeters. Unlike my IMF TLS50s they don't produce enough low frequency bass at lower volumes. Also compared to the IMFs the woofer surrounds feel stiff. I'm driving them with a single AHB2.
I'd put a Krell on them but that's my answer to everything :)

I'd have thought the Benchmark should do the job. At least on paper.
 
Just picked up some imf cm2 and having a hard time removing the woofers are these glued in? Any tips to safely remove them??
 
Managed to get them out they were glued in with o a looked factory for anyone attempting this in future I applied some heat around the surround and pushed against the magnet after an hour I got them both out!
 
Hi, it's very unusuel no foam or rubber seal or at least a silicone? Look like they forget to put on and maybe the glue was to hold a seal. Because this can't make it without leaking?
 
Hi, it's very unusuel no foam or rubber seal or at least a silicone? Look like they forget to put on and maybe the glue was to hold a seal. Because this can't make it without leaking?
Must admit never seen it before myself but it was extremely hard to remove but got there in the end!
 
Hello, my first post, please be gentle!
I have 2 pairs of IMF ALS40 speakers, I have recapped them using Alcaps form Falcon.
One pair sound great (and now for sale) but the second pair have a problem.
One speaker has a lot less bass than the other. The drive units are fine as I have swapped them to check and I can find no issues on the crossover.
I am puzzled!
Could it be an Inductor?
I have searched the internet and cant find a drawing of the crossover anywhere.
Please help!
Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4417.jpeg
    IMG_4417.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 7
Double-check all of your wiring and soldering

If the driver swap indicates no problems with that hardware, check the signal path, starting with the components you touched
 
Double-check all of your wiring and soldering

If the driver swap indicates no problems with that hardware, check the signal path, starting with the components you touched
Yes, gonna have to pull the crossover right out again and really go through it. What a pain!
 
Back
Top Bottom