• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

IMF owners thread!

IMF TLS80 mkII

Can anyone explain the best way of getting to the crossover please?
ie: take the baffle off or bass driver removal ?

I’ve ordered the cap kit from Falcon.
 
I believe it is similar to the TLS-50’s where there is one circuit board on the back of the input jacks, related to the tone control mnow

And the main pcb can be reached through the woofer, probably glued to the foam insulation
 
Hi, welcome Andy, the front baffle can not be removed it have been glued during the fabrication. So forget that you will destroy the speaKer. Both pairs are in great condition , IMF are very special speaker, they sound very natural without coloration. Enjoy it, Yvan..
 
IMG_8293.jpegIMG_8435.jpegHi, welcome Andy, the front baffle can not be removed it have been glued during the fabrication. So forget that you will destroy the speaKer. Both pairs are in great condition , IMF are very special speaker, they sound very natural without coloration. Enjoy it, Yvan..
I’m actually really enjoying them Yvan , got them hooked up to a very rare Russ Andrew & Paul Hynes integrated amp from the 90’s , sounds wonderful.
I’ve now recapped them with the kit from Falcon .
 
Hi, nice man ! very nice and how many watts this integrated amp?
Well it’s no power house at 60w but it sounds sublime ( very valve like )

I’ve given it a little refurb today …

I did have the imf’s hooked up to my Threshold Stasis II but I am enjoying the musicality of this , it’s amazing.

IMG_8470.jpegIMG_8466.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I recently upgraded to a Cambridge Audio 851W poweramp to drive my IMF TLS80 II and wow! The ease with which the soundstage opens up and the bass! With my previous amp of 33W the sound was okay but now it is impressive. I had been considering buying other speakers but not anymore. Only thing I would like to do is to replace the top veneer as the previous owner must have made a compromise for the speakers to act as plant stand that caused water damage to the tops.
Does anyone know what type of wood veneer it is and if it is hard to replace it myself.
 
I recently upgraded to a Cambridge Audio 851W poweramp to drive my IMF TLS80 II and wow! The ease with which the soundstage opens up and the bass! With my previous amp of 33W the sound was okay but now it is impressive. I had been considering buying other speakers but not anymore. Only thing I would like to do is to replace the top veneer as the previous owner must have made a compromise for the speakers to act as plant stand that caused water damage to the tops.
Does anyone know what type of wood veneer it is and if it is hard to replace it myself.
I would highly advise to try and restore/refinish whats there. Check YT for some water damage refinish vids.
 
Hi Folks,

my first post here with a hope you can help me recognise and help with some IMF RSPMs.

I have had these for some time but haven't got around to using them as I use B&W 801S3 as my main monitors, but want to get these IMFs up and running. They will be driven by a Chord power amp.

I understand that there are several variations of the 'RSPM' theme and would like to know which version these are are how they compare with the others of the same type.

I assume that the crossover will probably need to be recapped due to ageing. How do I get to the crossover board to do that work and where would you recommend to get replacement parts?

The original foam was badly torn and has been replaced.

I also do not have stands and as, with most speakers, they need some 'air' under them to get the best response from them. What do other folks use in the absence of stands and how high off the ground is optimum.

Any information and help would be welcome.

Mike

IMG_2514.JPGIMG_2515.JPGIMG_2516.JPG
 
Hi again,

having read some more of the posts, it seems that the crossover is located on a panel behind the bass unit so I have taken some more photos to help recognise the units. From what I can glean, these speakers don't seem to add up.

Help?

Mike

IMG_2519.JPGIMG_2517.JPGIMG_2518.JPG
 
Hi welcome to Audiokarma IMF forum, these have both MR Or one MF other MR the M for sur is for the latest model. But one thing they are not the RSPM MK VII like we usually see
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250126_092138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20250126_092138_Chrome.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi, You have like a regular MK VII ref. stand. prof. mon. Made for normal listening . For the stands metal or wood , size of the base , hight like 5 inch with 5 degre angle . But if you search the dimension is somewhere the posts but better have someone who has one give you the exact dimension
 
Hey Mike, This thread is kinda slow sometimes as this is a pretty esoteric speaker line so not a lot of daily activity, but absolutely fantastic speakers as evidenced by the length of this thread. I think you'll be very impressed when you get your speakers dialed in. I would probably change those electrolytic caps to poly, that's easy enough and check the resistor values are in spec. As Mart said, Falcon Acoustics has great support for these speakers and can supply even replacement drivers. The caps can be bought more local if that's all you need. I passed on a pair of 801's about a year ago and it still hurts, they needed work and were a six hour drive away but cheap. I do have a pair of DM6 that I love. But the RSPM are truly keepers. I have a pair of Tyler Acoustics D1Xse in the closet if that tells you anything!
 
hi folks,

thanks for your welcome, replies and information.

The IMFs sound a bit sluggish compared to my B&W 801S3s which I put down to them needing a bit of air and probably them needing a re-cap. The 801s are also fitted with what B&W call a 'bass allignment filter' which extends them down to about 18 Hz or so.

The crossovers look as if they are the original as fitted at the factory (shiny soplder etc) so I have no reason to doubt their authenticity. I will try lifting them up on a couple of breezblocks and, having read the rest of the posts, drop Falcon an email to see if they can provide any info on them and suggest replacement caps etc.

Thanks again

Mike
 
Hi again,

scouting more around the net, I found a description/photo that matches the units I have - not the usual-looking RSPM with a metal plate on the front. Its on a posting of ebay and can be found here. It also gives some form of base date for this version.


Have I discovered an unknown branch of the RSPM family? :)

Regards

Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom