• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

IMF owners thread!

Update on my TLS-50IIs:

One of the midranges is dead. Voice coil is burned up according to my local speaker repair shop.

Any advice about how to source a used replacement? Or, should I go with the Falcon Audio drop-in replacement?

Thanks.

poorman

If you're a member of BT, I would post a WTB there.

If not or in addition to that, I'd join the IMF Yahoo group if you're not already a member and post there.

You may also want to get a quote for a rebuild/repair. I had my RSPM woofers rebuilt by Miller Sound. Because if you buy the drop-in replacement, it might not be 100% matched in volume/tone compared to the original. At least it's another data point for you to consider your options.

As well as save a search on eBay just in case. Drivers show up there now and then. I think it all depends upon how much of a hurry you're in.
 
Update on my TLS-50IIs:

One of the midranges is dead. Voice coil is burned up according to my local speaker repair shop.

Any advice about how to source a used replacement? Or, should I go with the Falcon Audio drop-in replacement?

Thanks.

poorman

Ah dang.. that's too bad.

There are two things you can do. Watch eBay and wait for one to come up there. This midrange was used on a variety of IMF models and isn't terribly uncommon. If you wait long enough, one will come along, and they are usually pretty cheap, around $40. It will likely require a refoam, which will be another $20. However, there are two midranges that could be used on your model. One is the Elac 4EM/101, which is the earlier midrange that used a paper cone and a flat, smaller shiny solid dust cap. The other one is the 4/200, which is a bit less common, and this one has a larger round vented dust cap and has a polypropylene cone. Both will work just fine, but I would make sure to get a matched pair.

The other option you have is to buy the Monacor midranges from Falcon. This is more expensive, and will require a slight bit of help fitting into the cut-out on the front baffle (not much, just a little massaging), but you must buy these in pairs to get an even response between your two speakers.

Of course the third option is to have your mid repaired, but this could be pretty costly and depending on the repair shop could take quite a while. This might be worth looking into, but considering used mids go for pretty cheap, I don't think it would be worth it.

I hope that helps.
 
Anyone near Texas, I've posted an IMF find in D&S. Wish I were much closer or could get it shipped.
 
I've confirmed that the midrange drivers in my TLS-50 IIs are the Elac 4EM/101s. The repair shop showed me the dead midrange -- voice coil is burned and shows some bubbling of the material.

Time to source a replacement. Barter Town here I come.
 
I've confirmed that the midrange drivers in my TLS-50 IIs are the Elac 4EM/101s. The repair shop showed me the dead midrange -- voice coil is burned and shows some bubbling of the material.

Time to source a replacement. Barter Town here I come.

I watch eBay all the time for IMF parts - if I see a set come up, you will be the first to know.
 
I've confirmed that the midrange drivers in my TLS-50 IIs are the Elac 4EM/101s. The repair shop showed me the dead midrange -- voice coil is burned and shows some bubbling of the material.

Time to source a replacement. Barter Town here I come.

I watch eBay all the time for IMF parts - if I see a set come up, you will be the first to know.

You guys must mean something that looks like this, with the interesting oval holed frame. I've got 4 (2 pair) in my two pair of TLS50 Mk. II's and they all need some surround work. Plus I've got these pictured pair that a friend of Canucks sent to me, with previous surround work done on them and now needing renewal. Unfortunately, and I should have done this when I first received them, in checking these today, they appear to be blown too so I'll have to get back in touch with him. I was hoping to have an option for you.
 

Attachments

  • IMF Elac 4EM-101 004.jpg
    IMF Elac 4EM-101 004.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMF Elac 4EM-101 005.jpg
    IMF Elac 4EM-101 005.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 87
You guys must mean something that looks like this, with the interesting oval holed frame. I've got 4 (2 pair) in my two pair of TLS50 Mk. II's and they all need some surround work. Plus I've got these pictured pair that a friend of Canucks sent to me, with previous surround work done on them and now needing renewal. Unfortunately, and I should have done this when I first received them, in checking these today, they appear to be blown too so I'll have to get back in touch with him. I was hoping to have an option for you.

Yeah, those are the Elac 4EM/101.

They're blown huh? That's a shame! Usually he tests gear before he sells it..
 
I decided to order a pair of the Monacor replacement drivers from Falcon Acoustics. I plan to keep looking for a replacement Elac driver, but in the meantime it will be fun to get the Monacor replacements installed and give the TLS-50 IIs an audition. I'll post pics when I bring them home from the repair shop.

Happy holidays!

Poorman
 
Yes please do :)

The only account I have read for it stated that it was more forward sounding than the Elac, but he liked it quite a bit. I don't recall reading it being an improvement, but he said it fit well within the IMF sound so it sounds like it's at least a great alternative.
 
Hi all, have you found typical restoration steps have worked with your teak IMF's?

Just pondering, but will have to spend some time on my IMF The Studio (is that how I say it?) as the front veneer is peeling from the edges. Otherwise it's just a light sand and polish is all I do. But before, wanted to make sure you've found them to restore like most other veneers.
 
Hi all, have you found typical restoration steps have worked with your teak IMF's?

Just pondering, but will have to spend some time on my IMF The Studio (is that how I say it?) as the front veneer is peeling from the edges. Otherwise it's just a light sand and polish is all I do. But before, wanted to make sure you've found them to restore like most other veneers.

I just use Neutral Howard's Restor-a-Finish and Feed-n-Wax. I've been fortunate that my IMFs all have had great cabinets (well, save for one pair but those needed new veneer).
 
Hi Guys

I am the proud owner of a mint set of TLS50 MKll"s with the b200 driver, bought just last week. These are the best speakers I have ever owned. So happy! I would like to recap with the kits on offer from falcon. I notice they have a 5% and 2% tolerance set. Which would be the better option? The 5% or 2% tolerance caps?

Thanks
 
Hi Guys

I am the proud owner of a mint set of TLS50 MKll"s with the b200 driver, bought just last week. These are the best speakers I have ever owned. So happy! I would like to recap with the kits on offer from falcon. I notice they have a 5% and 2% tolerance set. Which would be the better option? The 5% or 2% tolerance caps?

Thanks

Congrats, those were my first set of IMF's too.

I'm doubting you'd hear too much of a diff at all, but for the minimal extra bucks and 20yr period these would last, I went with 2% myself when I recapped mine.
 
Congrats, those were my first set of IMF's too.

I'm doubting you'd hear too much of a diff at all, but for the minimal extra bucks and 20yr period these would last, I went with 2% myself when I recapped mine.
Thank you! I am ordering the 2% caps then.
 
Hi Guys

I am the proud owner of a mint set of TLS50 MKll"s with the b200 driver, bought just last week. These are the best speakers I have ever owned. So happy! I would like to recap with the kits on offer from falcon. I notice they have a 5% and 2% tolerance set. Which would be the better option? The 5% or 2% tolerance caps?

Thanks

Congrats and Welcome! If the cost isn't a problem, the selected 2% caps would be great. So what's the story behind the acquisition, how did you find them and all that? Do you know which B200 are installed?

Also, pics are always welcome. You might not know but:

:worthless
 
Back
Top Bottom