• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity RSb reincarnated

Are the variable resistors (in the schematic) actually (plain old, common) potentiometers? Or are they L-pads?
 
Are the variable resistors (in the schematic) actually (plain old, common) potentiometers? Or are they L-pads?
They are the original pots that I open and cleaned from an RSb and the rear are from an RSe. Plain old pots. You can see the values from the schematics
 
I just restored a set of crossovers for a fellow member and added a section to drive a set of rear firing emits. The rear firing emits significantly improve the sound stage on the RSb’s and is a fairly straightforward modification upload_2023-3-8_7-27-3.jpegupload_2023-3-8_7-27-3.jpeg
 
Hmmm, any rear firing emit I’ve seen never had its own circuit…I always thought they were just wired in series with the front, like the rs2 was…that’s interesting, is that how the kappa’s are done…?
 
Hmmm, any rear firing emit I’ve seen never had its own circuit…I always thought they were just wired in series with the front, like the rs2 was…that’s interesting, is that how the kappa’s are done…?
The rear crossover at a slightly higher frequency vs the fronts. Hence the separate crossover. No room on the original board and these mount nicely on the inside about halfway up.
 
Hmmmmm, I have all those drivers in a closet…6 mids, 4 woofs and 4 emits….just in case you were wondering
 
Hmmmmm, I have all those drivers in a closet…6 mids, 4 woofs and 4 emits….just in case you were wondering
No, can’t say I was. But, you don’t have the drivers in this build. Far better than the originals and this is a completely re-engineered build. I have 10x in the BOM
 
A couple more shots, including the raw Sapele boards in the back of my truck going to the planer
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 69567433285__13D368EE-C433-4892-BD0E-6A25F9D7AEBB.jpeg
    69567433285__13D368EE-C433-4892-BD0E-6A25F9D7AEBB.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 9
Very, very nice!
I love the look.
The casters must come in handy. Any idea what each one weighs?
They are right at 185 lbs each. I noodled on paper for 3 years before starting construction. They look simple but there is quire a bit of subtle engineering throughout. I went fairly high end on the crossover components and they are biampable, but the drivers were not crazy expensive as there are 7 in each speaker. I picked the the drivers to do a very good job at the specific ranges that each is expected to do and they turned out fantastic. They now live in a separate Lodge style man cave of about 1500 square feet and are driven by 4 different amps through a switching network. Marantz 510m, Phase Linear 700, Luxman M4000 and Mcintosh MC300. There were two sets of speaker there before, DQ20’s and Focal’s which are both gone now because they couldn’t compare
 
Back
Top Bottom