• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity RSb reincarnated

Has to be the nicest cabinet work I’ve ever seen there Jeffery ! WOW just Wow !

The Tone of that wood is stunning my friend. I’ve got to go back now and read through your thread here man.

Infinity or not, if they sound like they look you really pulled off a beautiful build, I’ll stop drooling and go a reading now.
 
I’m glad to read you’re happy with the Jantzen superior Z caps and the other more high end ones as these are the exact pieces I plan on using for my upcoming crossover replacement’s in my Gammas. I went down the rabbit hole reading countless hours over at Troels Gravenson website, he seems to favor the Z caps. Anyway wonderful work on both sets of speakers.

After reading everything here, I’m a little curious if you’d be willing to take a look at my SCU for the Gammas. I could send a few pictures for possible cap and ? Whatever else that might need to be updated. I know that’s odd to ask but your pretty talented.
 
Very nice cabinet work, though if it were me, I would have modelled my project on the RS2B and used twin 9 1/2" SB Acoustic Satori paper cone woofers, 3 x RAAL 140-15D midrange ribbons and 3 x RAAL 70-10 tweeters (incl: one rear-firing). But that's just me.
 
Very nice cabinet work, though if it were me, I would have modelled my project on the RS2B and used twin 9 1/2" SB Acoustic Satori paper cone woofers, 3 x RAAL 140-15D midrange ribbons and 3 x RAAL 70-10 tweeters (incl: one rear-firing). But that's just me.
You should build a set. I spent months reviewing drivers including generous feedback from fellow AK members. I will take a look at these drivers you listed as I am always thinking of “What’s Next”.. I have the CNC cad files.
 
I’m glad to read you’re happy with the Jantzen superior Z caps and the other more high end ones as these are the exact pieces I plan on using for my upcoming crossover replacement’s in my Gammas. I went down the rabbit hole reading countless hours over at Troels Gravenson website, he seems to favor the Z caps. Anyway wonderful work on both sets of speakers.

After reading everything here, I’m a little curious if you’d be willing to take a look at my SCU for the Gammas. I could send a few pictures for possible cap and ? Whatever else that might need to be updated. I know that’s odd to ask but your pretty talented.
That could be a nice project. I am sure you have reviewed the Mundorf series of oil caps? One can get some crazy money into these parts. I spent years studying everything I could get my hands on. Some of the early BBC engineering included.
 
That could be a nice project. I am sure you have reviewed the Mundorf series of oil caps? One can get some crazy money into these parts. I spent years studying everything I could get my hands on. Some of the early BBC engineering included.
I pulled this from SonicCrafts website 1706542065122.jpeg
 
Oh yes my friend, I tried to DIY copy of Wilson Audio Sasha’s (which I just found the only video) I have of the whole project.

Lord I can’t remember how much I spent at Madisound on crossovers for them but it was a sizeable amount. Mundorf SIO and a plethora of others.

Did my own cabinets and all.

So yes the Gamma’s will get the high end treatment ;). But they are worth it, the IRS series are in a different league than anything else I’ve ever heard.

I can’t get over your rendition of the RSll’s man, I’ll say it again they are stunning and where do I go to hear them .
 
Oh yes my friend, I tried to DIY copy of Wilson Audio Sasha’s (which I just found the only video) I have of the whole project.

Lord I can’t remember how much I spent at Madisound on crossovers for them but it was a sizeable amount. Mundorf SIO and a plethora of others.

Did my own cabinets and all.

So yes the Gamma’s will get the high end treatment ;). But they are worth it, the IRS series are in a different league than anything else I’ve ever heard.

I can’t get over your rendition of the RSll’s man, I’ll say it again they are stunning and where do I go to hear them .
They now live on a ranch deep in central Oregon on the John Day river and driven primarily by a Mcintosh Mc300 and Luxman C1000 preamp. It’s quite the Man Cave. I restored all the gear; Luxman M4000, Marantz 510m, Mcintosh Mc300, Phase Linear PL700 version 1 and their matching preamps. Mostly vinyl, and an Esoteric SACD player. The Focal’s and the Dahlquist speakers became useless and so went to new homes. These are by far the most accurate and musical speakers I have ever heard at any price. The entire front baffle is 2 inches thick and the section behind the woofers 3 inches. Needless to say the drivers don’t move and zero resonance. The room they are in is about 1500 square feet and there is not a single point that isn’t enveloped in a 3 dimensional sound stage.
1706626178470.jpeg
 
It would be interesting to drive the mids and tweeters with a class A Luxman or Accuphase and the woofers with the Mcintosh to hear if there is any difference. However, they sound so good with the Mc300 just have found the need.
 
So the saga continues, thinking about replacing the poly bass woofers with a set of IMG woofers from a Kappa 6. They just don’t quite fit, so some routering required
 
So the saga continues, thinking about replacing the poly bass woofers with a set of IMG woofers from a Kappa 6. They just don’t quite fit, so some routering required

Based on all of the effort you put into the design and building of these I have to say I was surprised to see that you were considering such a big change.

What is the driving force?
 
Based on all of the effort you put into the design and building of these I have to say I was surprised to see that you were considering such a big change.

What is the driving force?
They are a more advanced design and matériels. I haven’t put them in since they are a tad larger so will take a bit of router work. I have built a number of speakers since this project and used img infinity woofers and liked the definition a bit better than the earlier polypropylene. These for example are the dual voice coil woofers from a renaissance 90. 1752511634922.jpeg
 
Sounds like you're having fun. Are you anticipating having to make any changes to the crossovers?

Good luck and keep us posted.
 
Sounds like you're having fun. Are you anticipating having to make any changes to the crossovers?

Good luck and keep us posted.
No changes anticipated to the crossover. The kappa IMG woofers have essentially identical impedance numbers. I suspect the bass will just be a bit tighter. The RSb’s sound fantastic the way they are with my Sansui AU-a907 alpha and my Luxman L-100. With my Accuphase P300v a bit boomy on some tracks. The specs on these two amps show 280 watts for the Accuphase and 190 for the Sansui. 280 watts are probably too much power and it’s linear to 2 ohms.
 
One day I was stupid enough to trade up my stacked Advent setup for four Infinity RSb speakers at Pacific Stereo. They never sounded quite right, and I was disappointed in them until I opened one up years later and decided to look at the cross over and test the midrange driver with a calibrated microphone. That damn midrange was crossed over about 500 Hz too low for what output it was capable of putting out. Besides Infinity must have employed a college student to design the crossover because it was a textbook perfect 12db 3-way. I raised the upper end of the woofer roll off where it was already starting to fall and it made a tremendous difference. I sold a pair and gave the other two to my daughter and her husband where they still sound great.
 
One day I was stupid enough to trade up my stacked Advent setup for four Infinity RSb speakers at Pacific Stereo. They never sounded quite right, and I was disappointed in them until I opened one up years later and decided to look at the cross over and test the midrange driver with a calibrated microphone. That damn midrange was crossed over about 500 Hz too low for what output it was capable of putting out. Besides Infinity must have employed a college student to design the crossover because it was a textbook perfect 12db 3-way. I raised the upper end of the woofer roll off where it was already starting to fall and it made a tremendous difference. I sold a pair and gave the other two to my daughter and her husband where they still sound great.
These are close to 50 years old and they need attention. Every speaker of this era needs attention. Electrolytics that weren’t that good to start with don’t get better with age.
 
So the saga continues, thinking about replacing the poly bass woofers with a set of IMG woofers from a Kappa 6. They just don’t quite fit, so some routering required
the Watkins dual voice coil IMG woofers in the ren's are fantastic drivers, but even the run of the mill IMG woofers are better then the poly woofers, in my opinion.

You should go for it. what the hell, right?
 
I am so impressed by your skills!!!

How about doing a RS 1.5b? Mirror a pair of 1.5, swap out cone mid for an emim, and built a modern crossover for a Watkins...
 
Tons of water under the bridge since my last post. But these speakers still kick ass. I bought a set of img 10 inch woofers from a kappa that I will eventually swap out in the RSb’s but they are a tad bit larger so I need to router out the holes a bit. My latest projects, a Harmon Kardon Citation I preamp (essentially all new internals) and the over the top Sansui AU-X1. This combination is simply beyond words. There are posts on these if interested. The AU-X1 by itself is exceptional, but the all tube Citation I adds a layer of delight that the internal preamp just can’t deliver. It’s the most musical setup I have. And.. I have some ridiculously interesting gear that has been restored as only a OCD person would do.IMG_4508.jpeg
 
RSb's were my first pair of speakers as a kid. They were great. Only problem was I blew a lot of fuses on those tweeters specifically listening to "Who Are You!" Wish I still had them. Great work, this project warms my heart!
 
Back
Top Bottom