• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity RSb reincarnated

jefferylhenr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have posted a few threads on my bare metal restoration of an infinity RSb core. I was able to acquire a matching set (sequential serial numbers) of drivers and crossovers from a set of infinity RSb speakers. The project has been quite a journey. First, I completely replaced all the components (capacitors etc.) in the crossovers using a variety of high quality parts. Jantzen superior Z, Dayton electrolytic and poly capacitors where appropriate and some 2008 circa Russian paper and oil military for in signal bypass. All the wiring and binding posts were replaced with oxygen free copper and gold plated parts. The mid range enclosures were re-engineered using a highly dampened 6 inch to zero mache cone inside a heavy duty 6 inch pvc cylinder. The cabinets has been built from scratch using 3/4 inch birch plywood with an isolated front baffle along the lines of a Spendor BC1 and enlarged to 10 3/4 inches in depth to accommodate the additional internal bracing and the larger midrange enclosures.. The midrange enclosure was enhanced to provide elastic dampening between the back and front baffles. Probably have over 200 hours into the project so far. Should get unit one ready for a listening test tomorrow with great anticipation....
upload_2020-2-23_19-22-46.jpeg
upload_2020-2-23_19-23-39.jpeg
upload_2020-2-23_19-24-47.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
The White birch laminate in a clear satin poly didn’t anticipate needing verniers. But, if I find something exotic? It’s somewhat of a developmental platform. The sound performance with the vintage drivers, significantly upgraded crossovers, re-engineered mid enclosures, dampening, laminated and enlarged birch cabinets and isolated front baffle are beyond impressive. At some point there are diminishing returns. However, if an exotic wood and additionally dampening adhesive presents itself, I might be tempted.
 
As an acoustic suspension design, they should be stuffed with some sort of polyfill. General guideline is 1 - 1.5lbs/sq foot of cabinet volume.
 
they look great,Nice job! I wouldn't veneer them, I like the look of the wood. It'll be interesting to see how they look internally in a few years, when that carpet padding has broken down, as it will.
 
I had a set of RSA’s that I bought new and that is my only reference. These are far richer and tighter. I spent more than 40 hours just re-designing the midrange enclosures and that paid off big time. I have all the parts lists, templates and logic that went into the almost 3 month project. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the spendor bc 1 was a reference and the internal displacement was increased by 1.5 inches in depth to offset the larger mid enclosure and front baffle mounting/bracing. The core of the midrange enclosure is a heavy wall 6 inch diameter pvc cylinder which was set into a 3/4 inch laminated bracket with polyurethane dampening on the rear baffle and then clamped into place and framed by the front baffle. The crossovers were completely replaced with jantzen superior caps as the starting point.
 
Back
Top Bottom