• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infrared cameras

bzb882

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've seen a few posts here where AKers are using an infrared camera to find components that are running hot. If you use one and find it useful, which model do you use? How useful is it?
 
Register to hide this ad
Brother just bought a carrying case of Fluke gear including the Ti-95 model camera. Would take me a while to learn all it could do and it is close to entry level. I just borrowed it for a few days. His is like new along with the other meters, a model 53 and an AC meter. Nor bad for his c-note plus shipping.

I can borrow it again when I need it but he needs to play with it since he’s back from vacation and hasn’t used it yet
 
I have one of the early FLIR iPhone IR cameras about 9 years ago, and later bought a Seek ShotPro. They've proven very handy on occasion - the FLIR One for the iPhone about paid for itself in 2017 - I bought a Fluke 5440B Calibrator at a surplus store, and while testing it there we discovered it had no display. The guy knocked about $150 off the price due to that (got it for like $300); back at my hotel (I'm nuts - I got to California for work occasionally, and while there buy heavy instruments that I then have to ship home to Connecticut. God forbid I should collect something like shot glasses or playing cards - no, it's gotta be heavy test gear) I looked up schematics online and started digging into the front panel. Almost immediately, the thermal camera showed a 2.2uF cap glowing like a match head. A few bucks at Fry's (R.I.P.) later, and it was up and running.

The thermal image is offset about a half inch from the visual image due to the close range and parallax error - the bad cap is below the glowing part of the image
2018051504294430-IMG_4929.jpg


The bad cap is in the lower right part of the board in the VFD power supply:
Fluke%205440B%20chassis-display%20bd-XL.jpg


Fluke%205440B%20-%20500V-XL.jpg


I've used the Seek Pro a few times on other things more recently, too. It's a bit nicer in that it's more difficult to misplace and has parallax adjustment, so you can merge the thermal and visible images, making it easier to determine exactly which glowing blob is the problem part. I don't have any images from it readily at hand, but can find and post some if anyone's that curious.

-Pat
 
Back
Top Bottom