• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Integrated Death Match

Yamaha has always been in a whole other league than Sansui. They've always made some of the very best gear. It's not likely that this will be an exception.
 
I'd be happy with either, they both are good looking and powerful. If I HAD to choose, the Sansui edges out the Yamaha. Lucky YOU!
 
+1
Both look like quality units.Need to audition both with your speakers,your listening space and your two ears.

That's the plan. I will be off Monday and the house will be empty.


Then go with separates!!!!:thmbsp:

Got those setup in my main system, just added a matching dual tape deck. I think I own 3 cassettes. Picked up Led Zepplin IV, new un-opened still wrapped for 49 cents at goodwill just to play on the deck.

p.s. thanks for looking.;)



.
 
I'm a Sansui guy 'all the way' but back in the day Yamahas were really nice amps.

Seeing it's early 80s gear, you should listen to both and then decide.

I have an AU-D77X and it was an ok amp, nothing like the AU-717 in the sound quality department, but it was nice. It wasn't as 'deep sounding', gutsy, as the 717 but the EQ sensitivity was outrageous really. Better sounding than Sony. Kind of in the middle somewhere between the two.

If your just thinking about getting one of the two amps, and need to still search for one, then maybe you 'might' want to think about getting, or at least check out, a 1987 Sansui International AU-X701 (100W RMS - $100 to $200) or AU-X901 (130W RMS - $300 to $400). Those prices are USA prices. In Europe the X901 sells for $1500 to $2000 for a good one! Just check those two amps on Google and you will understand the difference in quality. They are really rebadged Japanese domestic 'alpha' amps, AU-a606i and AU-a707i respectivily, and sell very reasonably priced, to darn dirt cheap, on eBay because no one knows what they really are. Way under the radar and they sound wonderful, really fine! They are top quality amps, not like the early 80s amps.

Also the early Sansui 80s amps were of cheaper construction. We will leave it at that.

Just trying to help, Good luck!

Tell us which amp you get!! :>)
 
Last edited:
I'm a Sansui guy 'all the way' but back in the day Yamahas were really nice amps.

Giving the Sansui it's dues... It is very nice with lots of features

Seeing it's early 80s gear, you should listen to both and then decide.

That's the plan.

I have an AU-D77X and it was an ok amp, nothing like the AU-717 in the sound quality department, but it was nice. It wasn't as 'deep sounding', gutsy, as the 717 but the EQ sensitivity was outrageous really. Better sounding than Sony. Kind of in the middle somewhere between the two.
If your just thinking about getting one of the two amps, and need to still search for one...

Oh I'm in with both feet, I own one pristine example of each.:D


... then maybe you 'might' want to think about getting, or at least check out, a 1987 Sansui International AU-X701 (100W RMS - $100 to $200) or AU-X901 (130W RMS - $300 to $400). Those prices are USA prices. In Europe the X901 sells for $1500 to $2000 for a good one! Just check those two amps on Google and you will understand the difference in quality. They are really re badged Japanese domestic 'alpha' amps, AU-a606i and AU-a707i respectively, and sell very reasonably priced, to darn dirt cheap, on eBay because no one knows what they really are. Way under the radar and they sound wonderful, really fine! They are top quality amps, not like the early 80s amps.

Also the early Sansui 80s amps were of cheaper construction. We will leave it at that.

Just trying to help, Good luck!

Tell us which amp you get!! :>)


That was an awesome amount of info. Thank you so much for your post. I love my Yammie gear but never shy from other quality pieces strictly based on brand loyalty. Nice to see someone of your stature feeling the same way. Quality is Quality as far as I'm concerned.


;)
 
The Yamaha wins on man-machine interface but I would probably prefer the sound of the Sansui.

Those LED meter bars on the Sansui are silly.
 
That Yami has a potted xformer. Silent. There are impressive heavy copper rails on the board. The Canadian ones came with Black Gates.
 
Both look good but the sansui looks more compact and i like the round transformer on the sansui aswell.
 
I'll tell you what I want to see....

A Receiver-Deathmatch "Rich Man vs Poor Man" tagteam-challenge with the Marantz 2240/McIntosh Mac-1700 vs the Sansui 2000x/Sherwood S-7200.... Now, THERE'S a match.

You could even begin the night with a "Polarizing Speaker" undercard matchup of the Bose 901 vs the Pioneer HPM-100 (More of an exhibition match, really...).
 
Last edited:
The Yamaha's power supply actually states "Massive power supply..." ...:nerd:

Why? Is that written just in case your a giant and you have no sense of scale?

We get it OK? It has 8 transistors and giant coke cans for capacitors... :drool:

I vote Yamaha :thmbsp:
 
Wouldn't it make more sense to sit down and listen to them or a period or time, and see which one you like the sound of more? Rather than throw it open to a bunch of other peoples opinions? After all, it's you that has to live with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom