• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting basement find.......

Should I throw it away or undertake a massive restoration?

  • To the dump.

    Votes: 28 73.7%
  • To the shop!

    Votes: 10 26.3%

  • Total voters
    38

BluePhantom2

New Member
So I’ve been clearing out my grandpa’s basement after he passed away and came across an interesting piece of equipment shoved under about six decades of old taxes and art supplies. A General Electric full on cabinet style intigrated turntable speaker thing? I’m here for the next few days and would love some community help identifying what it is I’ve got sitting down here- main question is is it even worth saving?
 

Attachments

  • 5E191AAC-5AA3-4238-A0D3-63D299841B0E.jpeg
    5E191AAC-5AA3-4238-A0D3-63D299841B0E.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 426
  • 5BE582A1-7A38-4161-A853-C9E22C4EA8A2.jpeg
    5BE582A1-7A38-4161-A853-C9E22C4EA8A2.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 533
  • 5784C88C-E78F-499D-850B-183F0D7C0DB8.jpeg
    5784C88C-E78F-499D-850B-183F0D7C0DB8.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 380
  • FC753B7E-6666-47BA-B238-A6254C2F548D.jpeg
    FC753B7E-6666-47BA-B238-A6254C2F548D.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 01D4AC0E-9CF0-4F68-A3E0-A0BA22B6BE3F.jpeg
    01D4AC0E-9CF0-4F68-A3E0-A0BA22B6BE3F.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 392
Register to hide this ad
I didn't vote because one man's trash is another mans treasure. I won't tell anyone to trash something of this sort if they would like to keep it.
Now, my opinion is not to waste money restoring it, I'd just clean it up and see if there is any interest in it if I didn't want it myself.
And one more thing, the bent wood Windsor chair next to it in my opinion is worth much more if there are no broken parts.
 
I didn't vote because one man's trash is another mans treasure. I won't tell anyone to trash something of this sort if they would like to keep it.
Now, my opinion is not to waste money restoring it, I'd just clean it up and see if there is any interest in it if I didn't want it myself.
And one more thing, the bent wood Windsor chair next to it in my opinion is worth much more if there are no broken parts.
The cabinet is huge and the house is being put on the market soon. No real time to let it sit and wait for the perfect owner regrettably, looks like this poor old guy is at the end of its life.
 
The cabinet is huge and the house is being put on the market soon. No real time to let it sit and wait for the perfect owner regrettably, looks like this poor old guy is at the end of its life.

Ah, that's a shame, hate to see anything that could be useful to someone just trashed....................I reckon that's why it took two U-Haul trucks to move me last time.
 
Last edited:
Ah, that's a shame, hate to see anything that could be useful to someone just trashed....................I reckon that's why it took two U-Haul trucks to move last time.
Exactly. Although I doubt anyone will want this thing. The sound quality won’t be good enough to justify the size, the woods all covered in dry rot and crap, just I don’t think it’s worth it.
 
Maybe at least save the guts but the cabinet looks trashed. Those things can actually sound quite good. I had one that had 10 inch acoustic suspension enclosed speakers. The tuner preamp was the same as the one you have showing but for the life of me, I can't ever remember what I did with it. I kept the speakers and still have them and use them as we speak. I put them into some 3 way boxes and they do sound quite nice.
 
Have you had a look at the records in front of the tuner/controls? What’s in there? Might be a hidden gem or two.

index.php
 
@BluePhantom2 Does it have a tube amplifier? What speakers? If it has a tube amp you may be able to use it. I have three tube amps pulled from consoles that sound great. The speakers are probably pretty efficient and wouldn't need much power to play them loud. Maybe they would be good candidates for a open baffle build. If it's a solid state console I would pass it along or toss it. Here is a picture of a console amp I'm working on right now.
 

Attachments

  • 20180509_124410.jpg
    20180509_124410.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 38
Curious posts #14 and #15 both have grammar problems. Is there thing something this wrong with?

I think OP said grampa, not grammar.

If OP is going to be there a couple more days, I'd clean all the mildew and dust off (don't spend more than 5 minutes on it), and put it at the curb if the weather's nice enough.
Somebody will want it, and maybe post on AK about their scroe.
 
Back
Top Bottom