• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting basement find.......

Should I throw it away or undertake a massive restoration?

  • To the dump.

    Votes: 28 73.7%
  • To the shop!

    Votes: 10 26.3%

  • Total voters
    38
I didn't vote because one man's trash is another mans treasure. I won't tell anyone to trash something of this sort if they would like to keep it.
Now, my opinion is not to waste money restoring it, I'd just clean it up and see if there is any interest in it if I didn't want it myself.
And one more thing, the bent wood Windsor chair next to it in my opinion is worth much more if there are no broken parts.

Seriously the cabinet probably would look fine after a round of old english. If it still works probably could list it for free or sell it cheap and someone will take it.
 
@BluePhantom2 Does it have a tube amplifier? What speakers? If it has a tube amp you may be able to use it. I have three tube amps pulled from consoles that sound great. The speakers are probably pretty efficient and wouldn't need much power to play them loud. Maybe they would be good candidates for a open baffle build. If it's a solid state console I would pass it along or toss it. Here is a picture of a console amp I'm working on right now.
I remember my grandpa telling me a story about this thing. He told me that when he bought it it was “top of the line” and that it was one of the first to include a solid state amp. Could be worth saving just for that fact or restor it and sell to a collector of GE gear maybe?
 
My parents had a console with the same looking electronics. Way different cabinet, though. I remember that thing rocking out!!
 
Here’s some additional photos of the back of the unit.
 

Attachments

  • E0C23D4F-8F17-41A8-8589-B6A93A64A134.jpeg
    E0C23D4F-8F17-41A8-8589-B6A93A64A134.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 79
  • C3E1E5C9-552D-465A-9941-338FED01C5A6.jpeg
    C3E1E5C9-552D-465A-9941-338FED01C5A6.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 75
I didn't vote because one man's trash is another mans treasure. I won't tell anyone to trash something of this sort if they would like to keep it.
Now, my opinion is not to waste money restoring it, I'd just clean it up and see if there is any interest in it if I didn't want it myself.
And one more thing, the bent wood Windsor chair next to it in my opinion is worth much more if there are no broken parts.

Maybe check out what cart is mounted on that arm... Also check what arm it is LOL, snag the LP's and maybe find any old tubes that may be of some values...
 
Got an update to the story- plugged it in and it works! Tuner is way out of calibration. Turn table doesn’t spin but needle works, one of the speakers is blown out. Sounds like a massive but cool restoration project
 
IMHO the speaker might be fine. In my experience with a lot consoles, dirty pots and switches can cause a channel dropout so at least rule that out before you decide to get too deep into it.
 
Don't throw it out. If nothing else, list it in the free section on CL. It won't take long for somebody to pick it up. Somebody may get some enjoyment out of it or at least use it for parts.
It may be difficult for some folks here to believe, but there actually are people out there that like consoles and aren't turned off by them not being the ultimate in high fidelity.:yikes:

I actually have a later Magnavox that is cheaper and lower end than that one, that I use occasionally.

I've heard from a few sources that fix and sell electronics that SS consoles are actually beginning to sell (albeit at low prices), after years of not being able to give them away.
 
I'd put it on the free section on CL for sure.
List it as "bring a friend to help load" that way you won't even have to move it yourself. Save your back and make someone happy.

Those consoles are cool and some do sound nice but they take up so much space that not too many people can have one in their house these days.
 
The innards look identical to the GE unit my family had, circa 1970, front looks a bit different. Too bad about the speaker being blown; I did the same to ours in my metal teen years. The suggestions here to post it as a freebie will probably pay more dividends than keeping, b/c I can attest these things are a LEAD BRICK when it comes to moving em, and a white elephant unless you're serious about refurbing it.
 
The innards look identical to the GE unit my family had, circa 1970, front looks a bit different. Too bad about the speaker being blown; I did the same to ours in my metal teen years. The suggestions here to post it as a freebie will probably pay more dividends than keeping, b/c I can attest these things are a LEAD BRICK when it comes to moving em, and a white elephant unless you're serious about refurbing it.
I’ve already decided and put into motion a plan to get it back across state to be refurbished in my shop. I’ll be starting a new thread for the restoration process once it’s back home and ready for some love and attention.
 
I’ve already decided and put into motion a plan to get it back across state to be refurbished in my shop. I’ll be starting a new thread for the restoration process once it’s back home and ready for some love and attention.

Best of luck! It can sound good when everything's in place. Will be interested to see what it looks like refinished.
 
Got an update to the story- plugged it in and it works! Tuner is way out of calibration. Turn table doesn’t spin but needle works, one of the speakers is blown out. Sounds like a massive but cool restoration project
Hmmm, a tuner way out of calibration, a turntable that doesn't turn, and a blown speaker is not really part of my definition of a working stereo.
 
I’ve already decided and put into motion a plan to get it back across state to be refurbished in my shop. I’ll be starting a new thread for the restoration process once it’s back home and ready for some love and attention.

I’m totally with you on this. Understand going into it, you’ll likely never monetarily get out of it what you’re putting into it, but that doesn’t seem to matter. It was grandpa’s, and fixing it up and having it operate in your own home is the right thing to do even if it’s a little impractical.

My grandma had a 60s console with a record player/radio that I remember getting specific instructions how to use properly when I was just a little kid. It was still in her house when I moved to PR in the late 90s, and probably stayed with the house when she sold it back in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, it has probably long been dumped since then.

But if I ever found out that *her* old console was discovered intact somewhere in MD, I’d pay whatever it took to have it shipped down here, then take on the project of restoring it. Some things are worth it, regardless if they’re ‘worth it’.

Good luck with your move and restore.
 
Had a similar console about 30 years ago, pulled the receiver and speakers. Used it in the garage with the speakers built into the walls. Pretty decent stereo out there in the country. Good project but not a financial winner I'd guess.
 
20180530_211834.jpg I get the sentimental appeal. Maybe consider doing what I did with one I found that was gutted - update it with newer or better electronics (doesn't have to be super nice stuff), better speakers, bluetooth, paint it a color that matches your decor, etc.

I always chuckle when I'm sitting at my couch serving mine some tunes via Bluetooth, because the people that built this ol gal would have never imagined it would ever be capable of something like that
 
Last edited:
That is one of their top line consoles, i wouldn't be so quick to trash it, they sound very good. It has air suspension speaker system and separate power amp, nice mid century cabinet. I believe it is a 1968 model.
 
Back
Top Bottom