• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting Sony speakers

Register to hide this ad
They're actually electrostatic tweeters. The model# is Sony SA-S900. The most important specs are:

avhcua.jpg

The entire (user)manual can be found here. I've heard them once, and while they sure have some potential, they could have done with a better cabinet and woofer. For starters...
 
Satch,

thanks for the info and the clarification about the tweeters. I'm surprised they are electrostatic; that seems an odd combination with this woofer in this box. Still, I'd like to hear them.
 
Since I own a pair of hybrid Apogees (10" woofer and 40" ribbon) I'm not that surprised. Martin Logan has done the same, as well as Carver. In Europe there is also a trend of combining dynamic units with AMT units. This can result in excellent speakers, but can also sound unbalanced.
From what I remember listening to the Sony's, they were a bit underpowered and the cabinet was rattling along. But the design, combining an electrostatic unit with a motional feedback controlled, active woofer, makes a lot of sense IMHO.
 
It always amazes me how prolific Sony was/is with their product line. There's always stuff showing up thats unusual.
 
Hi - old thread I know but I came across a pair for sale recently - they sound very nice though you can't use your own amp but they can be driven directly from a cd player with level controls. - to the original poster what was the price asked on Craigslist? Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom