• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Irony of Cheap-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had two emo pres and a cd player. I thought both pres very good. The cd player has had mechanical ( noisy draw ) and electronic issues . The electronic issues were repaired under warranty. It's still a very good sounding ( if that's a descriptive? :idea:) I can't speak for everything but it appears to be a solid value.
 
Interesting comments on ChiFi in the thread. I have purchased plenty of it in the past as well and had good luck with it. I had also resigned myself to the seeming inevitability of buying most consumer goods manufactured with cheap labor in developing Asian countries. The aspect of buying Chinese I find most worthy of consideration right now has to do with geopolitical alignment and human rights issues. Every dollar I spend that winds up in Chinese hands essentially supports a dictatorship, authoritarian repression bordering on genocide, Chinese alignment with Russian attacks against free Europe, and crushing environmental damage wreaked by Chinese manufacturing. I've been able to swallow hard over the years and hope that these countries would be drawn toward modern western values by participating broadly in the world economy, but dark forces have been emboldened and buttressed with our dollars instead.

I've been jolted awake in the last month by world events and am going to observe carefully the origins of my purchases much more than I have in recent years. Frankly, I'm not even aware that it would be possible to live a typical domestic European or American life without frequent purchases of goods made in China, but I would guess that will change in coming years, and I hope it does.
 
There, I typed it out loud :yikes:

I guess that's WHY I feel so strongly about it
MuseChaser said:
I wish that the folks that make Loki, Bifrost, et al had not gone with such a stupid name for their products. There's enough vulgarity in the world...
These are the EXACT comments the company wanted when they chose that name.

GChief is giggling like a 6-year old having said a bad word in public and gotten away with it. Having the time of his life.

MuseChaser is offended by the name and mentions it.

One loves and posts
One is offended and posts.

Bottom line that company got the Posts and the name recognition. The name did its job.

I'm just amazed at all the old farts here are that are regressing to their early childhood and giggling every time they type that name.

I don't like seeing it. I'm not offended. It was a good marketing move.
 
If you've watched many of the videos featuring interviews of the Schiit owners, they come across (to me) as aggressively 'bro-culture' types. Not a good thing in my book, but I appreciate that they bring some fresh ideas to the market place, they intentionally manufacture in the US, and make separates in the other-than-boutique category. I looked at stereo preamplifiers recently and was shocked at how few options exist under $1,000. Well, some of the only, maybe the best options, are the Freya and Saga models. If you are interested in non-vintage separates that aren't going to bleed your wallet but still will perform well, Schiit is a go-to. Now, add the Made in America thing and they are pretty much the only option, so I appreciate them even if they present as bro-type 14 year olds.



These are the EXACT comments the company wanted when they chose that name.

GChief is giggling like a 6-year old having said a bad word in public and gotten away with it. Having the time of his life.

MuseChaser is offended by the name and mentions it.

One loves and posts
One is offended and posts.

Bottom line that company got the Posts and the name recognition. The name did its job.

I'm just amazed at all the old farts here are that are regressing to their early childhood and giggling every time they type that name.

I don't like seeing it. I'm not offended. It was a good marketing move.
 
These are the EXACT comments the company wanted when they chose that name.

GChief is giggling like a 6-year old having said a bad word in public and gotten away with it. Having the time of his life.

MuseChaser is offended by the name and mentions it.

One loves and posts
One is offended and posts.

Bottom line that company got the Posts and the name recognition. The name did its job.

I'm just amazed at all the old farts here are that are regressing to their early childhood and giggling every time they type that name.

I don't like seeing it. I'm not offended. It was a good marketing move.

Of course GChief is giggling. He insists on calling vinyl vinyls. What else could you expect?:D

I've always considered the excessive use of "four" letter words as the result of an inadequate vocabulary and lack of knowledge about proper speech.:thumbsdown:

As for Schiit, I like the products. To me the name is sort of juvenile and a lot tongue in cheek. However, the name wouldn't have any effect on a buying decision. Besides I'm pro buying US products where possible.

If I had any Schiit gear it would be fun to see the reactions of people when they read the name.:rflmao:
 
Oh, it's definitely true that crassness and vulgarity sells. Never doubted that for one instance. It may very well be "good marketing move," but that doesn't mean it's admirable. It just doesn't speak well for common decency in our culture. Not sure why increased acceptance and enjoyment of vulgarity is equated with progress in any way, shape, or form. And yes, resorting to vulgarity does, intentionally or not, accurately or not, indicate a lesser command of the language, a lesser degree of self-control, and a lack of respect for those around you. Period. Those who use it in public, which seems to be an increasingly larger majority including our political leaders, entertainers, athletes, news programs, and the media in general, obviously don't see it that way. They're all wrong. It wasn't all THAT long ago when Clark Gable uttered the phrase that shocked movie-goers nationwide, "Franky, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!" That was a BIG deal. Now, kids get to hear the F-bomb in PG-13 movies, and maybe even one snuck into a PG once in a while. They can't read or watch the news without seeing and hearing obvious profanity. Yay. Progress. How far we've come.
 
Schiit. It's a pretty childish name. I rolled my eyes once and now just ignore it. It's not as if the word '****' is actually offensive.
It is in public, in polite society, especially around kids. In an impolite society where no one cares... which is what we've become.. then we all get to live by our own definitions of what we accept, and stop caring about how other people view it. Perfect. I don't see how people can so easily make the leap from "it doesn't offend me" to "therefore, it shouldn't bother anyone else."

I know.. I should stop. This is tough one for me. I've taught thousands of kids, raised a bunch of my own (as I'm sure many of you have, too), and having seen a quantum shift in how kids treat each other over the decades, and adults too, this is a subject that really causes me a lot of concern. I hear what you all are saying, and I get that you either don't understand why I feel so strongly about the issue (I hope), or simply don't care (I hope not), but a society that has the self-respect, self-esteem, self-control, and consideration for others to refrain from public profanity just makes for a better world. Censorship isn't the answer... I believe in freedom.. I would never suggest that.

My apologies for continuing. I'll try and refrain.
 
I've always considered the excessive use of "four" letter words as the result of an inadequate vocabulary and lack of knowledge about proper speech.:thumbsdown:
IME that is not really a thing. I know plenty of very educated people, Drs (of literature) engineer’s, scientist etc that talk like a sailor all the time. In my past career a sentence was not a sentence without at least 4 or 5 F-Bombs in it. And most those people where no less intelligent than anyone in this thread. Intelligence or lack of vocabulary has nothing to do with it, IMO
Edit: I guess I should add most of these people I am talking about are in their 30s and 40’s. A couple are in their 60’s and 70’s.

But everyone feel free to be offended by words, I choose not to. That said if I know someone is word sensitive I will refrain in person.
 
Last edited:
Oh, it's definitely true that crassness and vulgarity sells. Never doubted that for one instance. It may very well be "good marketing move," but that doesn't mean it's admirable. It just doesn't speak well for common decency in our culture. Not sure why increased acceptance and enjoyment of vulgarity is equated with progress in any way, shape, or form. And yes, resorting to vulgarity does, intentionally or not, accurately or not, indicate a lesser command of the language, a lesser degree of self-control, and a lack of respect for those around you. Period. Those who use it in public, which seems to be an increasingly larger majority including our political leaders, entertainers, athletes, news programs, and the media in general, obviously don't see it that way. They're all wrong. It wasn't all THAT long ago when Clark Gable uttered the phrase that shocked movie-goers nationwide, "Franky, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!" That was a BIG deal. Now, kids get to hear the F-bomb in PG-13 movies, and maybe even one snuck into a PG once in a while. They can't read or watch the news without seeing and hearing obvious profanity. Yay. Progress. How far we've come.
I've appreciated your well-written posts on this subject.
 
Largely my point, and Asia means China more often than not. When people re
ference "cheap Chinese ****", I think they forget that means just about everything produced on the planet.

And to think.. the chips for our "self-driving vehicles" will be sourced from .. China :idea: ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom