• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is it CD or SACD?

kmulkey

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just bought a Cambridge DVD89. I picked up a hybrid SACD of Pink Floyd DSOTM to check it out. It plays but my question is this. How do I know if the player is reading the CD layer or the SACD layer?
 
Register to hide this ad
You need a 5.1 or 7.1 system to really know. An SACD will play in stereo or surround, your pick, but the player has to be capable of reading SACD, yours is. Your player automatically reads the SACD as one, it does not select to read it as CD or SACD. You select if you want to hear it in stereo or surround.
 
You need a 5.1 or 7.1 system to really know. An SACD will play in stereo or surround, your pick, but the player has to be capable of reading SACD, yours is. Your player automatically reads the SACD as one, it does not select to read it as CD or SACD. You select if you want to hear it in stereo or surround.

So, if for some weird reason I wanted to listen to a hybrid disc in CD mode, I can't? It will auto default to SACD?
 
So, if for some weird reason I wanted to listen to a hybrid disc in CD mode, I can't? It will auto default to SACD?

I set the default of my SACD to 2 channel SACD since it's used in a headphone system. If I was to hear the CD layer, all I need to do is press one button on either the remote or the front face plate to change layers.
 
I just bought one of these as well right here: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CADV89 SIL

Looked like a good deal to me for something that plays everything.

I suppose someone will show up and tell me I paid too much, but I like the idea of having an extra SACD Player because of all the SACDs I own.

Anybody else have one of these, and how do you like it?

Looks like it originally sold for $599 here: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/AudioEnzNzAug06DVD89.pdf

Superb DVD player. The CA DVD-89 is still in great demand, if somebody can find a used one, were I live.
I don't have one personally, but a good friend has one, and other components from the same maker.
 
I just bought a Cambridge DVD89. I picked up a hybrid SACD of Pink Floyd DSOTM to check it out. It plays but my question is this. How do I know if the player is reading the CD layer or the SACD layer?

Play track 4 "Time" if it sounds like the clocks, bells, alarms are IN the room with you you are playing the SACD layer. If it sounds like a recording of clocks, bells, and alarms you are playing the CD layer. There is a dramatic difference.

Is there such a thing as 2-channel SACD? I thought only the CD layer is 2-channel.

Yes. My Denon has a 2-ch output.
 
Basically derived from the surround sound layer.

Is there such a thing as 2-channel SACD? I thought only the CD layer is 2-channel.

SACD begin as a 2 channel format. While multi-channel capability was added later, some of today's megabuck SACD players from the likes of Marantz, Denon, Sony, Accuphase, Esoteric, Pioneer/TAD, etc. are all 2 channel only. Currently the lowest priced 2 channel only SACD player is from Onkyo, which you can pick up for about $400.00. Almost all SACD, and I am talking about 99%, contain a dedicated 2 channel hi-rez mix.

Sony/Philips mandated a dedicated 2 channel hi-rez mix on SACD, with the CD layer and the multi-channel hi-rez mix being optional. If you have a hybrid SACD with a multi-channel mix, then you basically have 3 separate version of the same album on one disc (and some producers/artists want 3 separate royalties from that one disc).

On the CD layer of a hybrid SACD, the CD layer can also be HDCD-encoded. Or the CD layer is of the "Enhanced CD" variety, which can provide videos when played back on a computer.

Go to the FAQ Section of sa-cd.net for more details.
 
Last edited:
In my post above, I mentioned....

Sony/Philips mandated a dedicated 2 channel hi-rez mix on SACD

That 2 channel hi-rez mix can be substituted by a mono hi-rez mix as well....like that of Little Richard's Mobile Fidelity SACD, or perhaps the upcoming Elvis SACDs.
 
Good to know. I guess since all the new SACDs are advertised as multi-channel, and reviewed in their multi-channel format, often with no mention of the word stereo, I assumed the format had gone all-multi-channel. I do know that the CD layers of most of the SACD hybrid discs I have sound quite nice.
 
Currently the lowest priced 2 channel only SACD player is from Onkyo, which you can pick up for about $400.00. Almost all SACD, and I am talking about 99%, contain a dedicated 2 channel hi-rez mix.


I just picked up the Onkyo C-S5VL and after about 30 hrs of play time I think this player is really worth the money . It sounds as good to me as others that I`ve heard costing alot more . It has indicator lights on the front panel to tell you if you are listening to SACD or CD .
 
I just picked up the Onkyo C-S5VL and after about 30 hrs of play time I think this player is really worth the money . It sounds as good to me as others that I`ve heard costing alot more . It has indicator lights on the front panel to tell you if you are listening to SACD or CD .

Slight off-topic....

How does the Onkyo C-S5VL sound with regular CD? It's currently at about the same price as the highly-rated Onkyo DX-7555 CD player.
 
Back
Top Bottom