• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is there an "additive" for cleaning fuel injectors?

DesertRatt

All Bark, No Bite!
Vehicle: 2019 Yukon with 6.2L (the good one, not the one blowing pistons) - 73,000 miles.

When I first bought the car last February, the idle was so smooth that when sitting in the car, you couldn't tell it was running at idle. Now, there are little "bump, bumps" in the idle. Just enough that you can feel it in the seat.

I'm wondering about additives like Seafoam brand engine cleaner, or?
 
Register to hide this ad
Agree with Techron .. in the fuel tank, kept me in good fashion .. years along.

I was a Calif St smog inspector yea I was th e guy that signed your smog cert….
Had a crazy FI Clean, at the dealership
on the way home the tailpipe bs got me pulled over, uhh lets just say, I was incarcerated for too long….
Judge was a crook- years later she got caught for her BS,

TECHRON is the ****….
 
^ —- Agree with top tier fuel, unfortunately some of us don’t have that… Kroger is the best available here…
But play their game and you get $ Off for garbage….
 
Unless your engine is knocking under load or acceleration, higher octane fuel is a waste of money. A statistician that used to work for Exxon or one of the big oil companies told me that a long time ago. Your local parts store will have many different kinds of injector cleaners.
 
Techron additive is like $9 per and yes gas prices are currently $4 per gallon where I live, staying out of the political aspect
happy listening, my music sounds great.
 
I used to own a BMW 2002, I put a factory motor in it …
Close ratio steering box and alpina suspension,,,,, bright yellow.

THAT CAR GOT ME IN MORE TROUBLE….

But so much appreciation, think the steering box wa 3.5 lock to lock…. popped it in Belmont Shores… ugh
 
Probably not going to join COSTCO. Didn't know the gas was so good.

Techron then, sounds like the winner. I've been using ARCO 91.
 
If you have a little "bump, bumps" in the idle, you also may have an ignition coil going bad. More noticeable on a 4 cylinder than a V8, but those AcDelco coils don't last forever.

Good gas and Chevron Techron would be the place to start, but if that doesn't clean it up, you may need to check the resistance on your coils.
 
A couple thoughts. These 100,000 mile spark plugs don't always last that long. All it takes is one to give you the idle bumps you feel. I also clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) once in a while with a spray made just for the purpose. It is in the air intake tubing upstream from the air filter. Don't know if these are your problem, but either one could cause it. Paul.
 
Unless your engine is knocking under load or acceleration, higher octane fuel is a waste of money. A statistician that used to work for Exxon or one of the big oil companies told me that a long time ago. Your local parts store will have many different kinds of injector cleaners.
That's an "it depends" thing.

Our mini cooper calls for 89+ octane and it is very noticeable if you put 87 in it. Drive-ability and MPG.

My 2016 F150 Ecoboost calls for 87-89 unless you are towing, then it calls for 91+ octane. But run it on 87 and it will run without any noticeable affects on drive-ability, but you will loose approx 300 kms per tank full.

But cars that we've had that only call for 87-89 octane have seen no noticeable gains in either drive-ability or MPG when run on higher octane.

It's not a one size fits all answer.....depends on how the vehicle is designed and intended to be used.

Higher tier fuels do have different additive packages though. Often more "detergents", which keeps the fuel system and comb chambers "cleaner". If your vehicle only calls for 87-89 octane, that's the only place you'll see a difference using top tier fuels. Expecting to see a "performance gain" from the octane rating alone is just money out the tail pipe.......
 
I live at 6200 ft elevation. The regular fuel here is 85 octane. The owners manual for my 2018 F-150 (3.5 ecoboost) specifically states that 85 octane sold at high altitudes is not OK. I use it all the time with no issues. Compression is lower at high altitudes reducing octane requirements is the theory. I have tried higher octane mid-grade. Only thing I noticed is that it empty's your wallet a little faster. If I drive to lower elevations, the regular fuel is 87 octane. Paul.
 
Vehicle: 2019 Yukon with 6.2L (the good one, not the one blowing pistons) - 73,000 miles.

When I first bought the car last February, the idle was so smooth that when sitting in the car, you couldn't tell it was running at idle. Now, there are little "bump, bumps" in the idle. Just enough that you can feel it in the seat.

I'm wondering about additives like Seafoam brand engine cleaner, or?

GM 6.2 Liter V8 Vortec L94 Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki ...
Yes, the 2019 Yukon with the 6.2L engine is a direct injection engine, as confirmed by its official specifications and GMC brochures. This gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine also features Active Fuel Management and Variable Valve Timing to enhance both performance and efficiency.

 
I live at 6200 ft elevation. The regular fuel here is 85 octane. The owners manual for my 2018 F-150 (3.5 ecoboost) specifically states that 85 octane sold at high altitudes is not OK. I use it all the time with no issues. Compression is lower at high altitudes reducing octane requirements is the theory. I have tried higher octane mid-grade. Only thing I noticed is that it empty's your wallet a little faster. If I drive to lower elevations, the regular fuel is 87 octane. Paul.
That engine might run fine above a certain altitude level but could struggle below that level when using 85. That's probably why Ford doesn't recommend it. They aren't trying to trick you into buying more expensive fuel. All they care about are potential engine issues under warranty. Running 85 octane fuel obviously worries Ford, or they wouldn't tell you not to use it.
 
I live at 6200 ft elevation. The regular fuel here is 85 octane. The owners manual for my 2018 F-150 (3.5 ecoboost) specifically states that 85 octane sold at high altitudes is not OK. I use it all the time with no issues. Compression is lower at high altitudes reducing octane requirements is the theory. I have tried higher octane mid-grade. Only thing I noticed is that it empty's your wallet a little faster. If I drive to lower elevations, the regular fuel is 87 octane. Paul.
I live at 5,800 ft and we get 86 or 91 octane fuel with 10% ethanol ... my PT Cruiser will run fine on the 86, my three cars with the Pentastar V6 (two Chargers and a Chrysler 200) will run on the 86, but poorly. The engine management computer retards the timing to prevent knock, which makes them sluggish and they loose 2-3 mpg in town and on the highway. I have no choice but to run the 91 octane, but they run great on it.
 
Mineral spirits..
Toluene actually works to keep the fuel clean... there is a company (BND) that makes an expensive fuel additive called Aces IV that is primarily toluene and paraffin wax- I tried it years ago when it was cheap and it works, but it is now nutty expensive- 16 ounces costs $60, and that will treat only 6 to 8 tank fulls (recommends 2 ounces per 6 gallons of gas). A gallon of toluene (128 ounces) at Home Depot costs $50.

 
Back
Top Bottom