• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this for real?

The ad says "It comes to you with the best of my best 6BQ5 tubes" are those the Amperex ones in half the pictures or the bog standard Sovtek ones in the other half?

edit: I count six new parts under the hood. Anyone find any more?
 
Oh come on guys, I've seen countless posts with links to active ebay auctions concerning parts that have not been shifted over to D&S.

Here's one example, thread by title: Russian K40y caps...best place to buy????
 
Last edited:
Yeah , but did you see the Deltoids on that guy!:D

Thank you, kind Sir! Pumping Iron is another hobby of mine.

On another note, I sent a message to the seller of that amplifier asking about all of the questions at hand around 7:00AM this morning. No reply thus far. If he/her does reply, I will share the response.
 
He says in his ad that he bought the amp on Ebay before fixing it up, if the naysayers don't feel it is worth the money pretty simple don't bid on it.


REGARDS SNOW


Absolutely. Actually, seeing the original shows that quite a bit of work has been done, and more caps have been replaced than one might think.
 
He says in his ad that he bought the amp on Ebay before fixing it up, if the naysayers don't feel it is worth the money pretty simple don't bid on it.


REGARDS SNOW

What if it seems the listing is possibly a fraud? Should we all just ignore it and hope some poor sap doesn't fall for it?

How is this any different from pointing out possibly counterfeit tubes on that auction site? That is also done on AK, complete with ebay links.
 
Last edited:
If you look at the feedback he's sold a bunch of these for over $1k each. Amazing what people will spend their money on.
 
If you look at the feedback he's sold a bunch of these for over $1k each. Amazing what people will spend their money on.

All I can say is caveat emptor. I certainly hope that large new cap added underneath isn't what the seller calls a "regulated" screen supply!
 
if the naysayers don't feel it is worth the money pretty simple don't bid on it.

I was just curious as to what modifications he made. I've got no problem with him making an extra grand off of an amp, when you've worked that hard to build a reputation you should profit from it.

I'd still like to know what moderator sent this post over to D&S.

All initial postings with an ebay link should be sent to D&S. I'm sure some slip through the cracks but thems the rules.
 
I was just curious as to what modifications he made. I've got no problem with him making an extra grand off of an amp, when you've worked that hard to build a reputation you should profit from it.

Me neither, as long as it is truly rebuilt with new parts and the description matches the photos, or is a real design and not just a few mods.

With regard to ebay links, a LOT slip through the cracks, and so do other links pointing to techs that make their dough off of tech work. In my mind, that is also dollars and sense, since it concerns money.
 
Last edited:
Yep, That is absolutely Bob Carver the famous audio engineer. And I'm sure that's a nice sounding amplifier. Is it worth rediculous money? I don't think so, But because it's bob they'll pay lots. I'd still rather have my st35 :D
 
Yep, That is absolutely Bob Carver the famous audio engineer. And I'm sure that's a nice sounding amplifier. Is it worth rediculous money? I don't think so, But because it's bob they'll pay lots. I'd still rather have my st35 :D

Where is the screen regulator circuit?

BTW, still no answer to the questions I sent to the seller via that auction site.
 
I did get a reply from the seller, claiming that he was indeed the legendary Bob Carver. I asked him to update his listing pictures to show the final and finished product so it would reflect the description of the work done and relayed to me.

I'm not trying to bust Bob's chops, but certainly if the listing photos showed the finished product that also matched the written description, I would bet my favorite pair of tube monoblocks the seller would get a higher final bid price!

Edit: I certainly hope the seller is the real and legendary Bob Carver. It's just that I hate to see folks ripped off because of fraud. We all work hard for our money in this crappy economy!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom