• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is Vintage Audio about Poverty or Appreciation?

Ahem...
I am a real Joe.
Regular Joe is a trademark of Joe Inc.
For payment of trademark infringement I will require one mint lp record.

Suggestions include:

James Brown @ the Apollo
John Coltrane- Blue Train
Can -Ege Bamyazi or Future Days
Jade Warrior - Floating world
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
The Band - Any of em

Your choice! :D

Joe I wish I had that CAN record. :D
 
...

Much, but by no means all, of the vintage gear was built to be serviced more easily than today's gear, probably because solid state was new, and the manufacturers had recently shifted from building tube gear, which required more frequent service.

True for the tube gear, but few vintage stuff could also be a pain in the heck to service. Requires sometimes high end craftsmanship, passion and devotion.

http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/showthread.php?t=456841
 
Vintage gear may be easy to service, but new gear doesn't need to be serviced, because it's new, and works properly! That's pretty appealing to people without the skill or interest to repair things... for example, old speakers with original capacitors sound terrible, same for amplifiers, and look how much work it is to get an old turntable to work properly, rebuild bearings, etc. Once you take into account all of the tools and knowledge it takes to own vintage gear, I'd say it's way more expensive than new :)
 
It could be one, or the other, a combination of both, or neither.
Maybe a project for a resident statistical analysis student...
 
Vintage gear may be easy to service, but new gear doesn't need to be serviced, because it's new, and works properly! That's pretty appealing to people without the skill or interest to repair things... for example, old speakers with original capacitors sound terrible, same for amplifiers, and look how much work it is to get an old turntable to work properly, rebuild bearings, etc. Once you take into account all of the tools and knowledge it takes to own vintage gear, I'd say it's way more expensive than new :)

True. Then, vintage is not about only poverty, but also knowledge, craftsmanship, passion, etc. :)
 
True. Then, vintage is not about only poverty, but also knowledge, craftsmanship, passion, etc. :)

Of course, there's vintage gear, and then there's vintage gear... I don't see many of those combination BSR changer/receiver/cassette combos that every company made, connected to a 4" speaker in a fancy box with a permanently attached piece of #24 speaker wire with an RCA plug on it kicking around anymore... now those were vintage crap, and there was one in every second house when I was a kid.
 
For me it's both.

I think it's neat and if it works, why not?

It's also cheaper. A win win.

Of course, my system at the moment could probably only be considered half-vintage.
 
For me it's both.

I think it's neat and if it works, why not?

It's also cheaper. A win win.

Of course, my system at the moment could probably only be considered half-vintage.

I think my SAE 2600 I rebuilt is only half-vintage since I replaced all of the caps, many resistors and all of the transistors. I have vintage SAE 2600 meters, chassis and transformer. :scratch2: :D
 
Of course, there's vintage gear, and then there's vintage gear... I don't see many of those combination BSR changer/receiver/cassette combos that every company made, connected to a 4" speaker in a fancy box with a permanently attached piece of #24 speaker wire with an RCA plug on it kicking around anymore... now those were vintage crap, and there was one in every second house when I was a kid.

http://
picture.php
 

Yeah, like that! The old Yorx, Soundesign, Lloyds... anyone who says vintage is better, is forgetting that most of the vintage junk was tossed away years ago, and what remains is the stuff worth having! I wonder how many DVD only home theatre in a box setups will still exist in 5 or 10 years!
 
Yeah, like that! The old Yorx, Soundesign, Lloyds... anyone who says vintage is better, is forgetting that most of the vintage junk was tossed away years ago, and what remains is the stuff worth having! I wonder how many DVD only home theatre in a box setups will still exist in 5 or 10 years!

That is an old brochure that came with my Columbia Record Club mailing . Stereo is a Columbia Stereo ! I wonder who made it for them ?
 
Back
Top Bottom