• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is your Lenco 'project' just sitting idle?

I pulled the B-61 out again today, Platter, A Harder Alloy?, i took my hard mallett and gave it a soft, then little bit harder tap, WoW?, Yes, Seems to ring higher/longer than th 75, Maybe a harder alloy?(Casting Chiefs blend?) or just thicker/heavier?(8Lbs).

This 61 has the original tonearm, blok seems tight still(as th rest of arm movements),
but someone put a mono cart in it (grabo), i hav couple m3d's left i'll try to true in, but i am not impressed with these tonearms so much, i guess others do well with them, i had good luck(straight/controllable) the earlier arms.

I am going to try and use a plinth casting mold that i can maybe use over and over again, well, at least a few times, L O L.

will try different mix's(have most now), i like the soapstone effort as mentioned, seems easy to carve out?, seems to have density?.

Am going thru all my stock of O rings now(idle wheel attemp), happin to have a huge caddy of them, let ya know if worthwile, L O L ).

Still would like ta know if there are any Bogen Presto B-61 owners out there(Wrkin Good?, Huh?, Where?).

Lead filled snow shoe(Zappa) , Wha?, A lead filled Plinth?
 
Say, Harder, Softer Platter?, even tho its a heavy platter, has anyone noticed much difference?, Soft Mass?(like leads/Zincs/Bismuths, etc...), Tight Mass?(Steel/Titanium/Alum, etc...., that much difference????, jus like ta hear, Goodtimes.


ZappaLenco.
 
It's been a few months since I found my L75 in the garbage and still no progress. Plenty of house projects are keeping me busy, so hopefully the Lenco will get revived after the summer.

Anyone else with new Lenco projects on the go?
 
It's been a few months since I found my L75 in the garbage and still no progress. Plenty of house projects are keeping me busy, so hopefully the Lenco will get revived after the summer.

Anyone else with new Lenco projects on the go?

As A matter of fact..........:smoke:


attachment.php
 
I pulled the B-61 out again today, Platter, A Harder Alloy?, i took my hard mallett and gave it a soft, then little bit harder tap, WoW?, Yes, Seems to ring higher/longer than th 75, Maybe a harder alloy?(Casting Chiefs blend?) or just thicker/heavier?(8Lbs).

Hi, i like your username!! I'm a Zappa fan, and a Lenco fan so...

Regarding the platter, it should be easy to see that the crux of the biscuit is not the platter material but the damping. You don't want the platter to ring at all!! And for damping you have to experiment with mats. You may not believe this little fella, but it will cure coloration too!

The underside of the platter is grooved, not smooth; this so the idler wheel stays on a precise path; this is good for keeping the speed stable.

Is that a real Lenco platter or is that a Sears platter? Be sure to lubricate the bearing with the oil of afro-dyte, and clean any trace of the dust of the grand wazoo.
 
Rough fit.
A Black Widow and the L75. :scratch2:

attachment.php



Steve
 

Attachments

  • lencowidow.JPG
    lencowidow.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 299
Any updates Steve?

I'm in the process of possibly buying the Jeremy super bearing. :scratch2:
Great guy, he got right back to me with immediate answers to my questions. :thmbsp:

I just lost the tip of my stylus so the table is silent for now.
Thanks for asking.

attachment.php


Steve
 
I finally got off my posterior:

DSC_0084.jpg

DonorL75.jpg

plinthcut3.jpg

Plintharmhole.jpg

soapstone2.jpg

DSC01196.jpg


Lenco PTP5 in soapstone with Jelco SA-750D and Midas DL-103. Mat is TTWeights copper/maple laminate and weight is also a 4lb TTweights jobbie. The second from last shot shows it on squash balls mounted in lengths of PVC pipe. That didn't work well. Last shot is on purpleheart blocks. I plan to try a couple of different types of wood to see if there's any difference/benefit.
 
Niiiiice!! :yes:

That PTP5 is slick! Did you cut the soapstone yourself?

I just reserved my spot in line for a Superbearing today...
 
I finally got off my posterior:

Lenco PTP5 in soapstone with Jelco SA-750D and Midas DL-103. Mat is TTWeights copper/maple laminate and weight is also a 4lb TTweights jobbie. The second from last shot shows it on squash balls mounted in lengths of PVC pipe. That didn't work well. Last shot is on purpleheart blocks. I plan to try a couple of different types of wood to see if there's any difference/benefit.

That's a very cool looking mat. Keep us posted on your isolation comparisons. :thmbsp:


Steve
 
Niiiiice!! :yes:

That PTP5 is slick! Did you cut the soapstone yourself?

I just reserved my spot in line for a Superbearing today...

I cut it myself, and not too professionally, I might add. Fortunately the bad bits are uner the platter. I have a thread about it under the PTP discussion on LH. More details on the construction there, as well as photos of progress. Soapstone is easy to cut with woodworking tools, but needs some precision, as it's less forgiving than most wood (real hardwoods are similar). I plan to ry slate at some point.

I'll probably upgrade the bearing, but I'd rather get reliability than extreme value, so I'm waiting for Jeremy's business to stabilize, even if that means I have to pay the higher price. In the interim I'll probably get a bearing that may not be as good, but won't cost me as much in wait time or break in.
 
That's a very cool looking mat. Keep us posted on your isolation comparisons. :thmbsp:


Steve

Hopefully I'll have some time to experiment in the next couple of months. We have a big overseas move looming, so I probably won't have much time. Sometime in the new year is more likely.
 
Hopefully I'll have some time to experiment in the next couple of months. We have a big overseas move looming, so I probably won't have much time. Sometime in the new year is more likely.

Projects like yours keep me motivated. :yes: Just a matter of time.
Just when I'm thinking about the super bearing, new talk about a mercury bearing popped up.

Good luck with your move.


Steve
 
I'm hoping to add another layer to the plinth. Possibly slate, or maybe another soapstone. In fact, I think I'll try both, as I have the slabs to do it. I'm also mulling over arm boards rather than direct mounting as it is now. I have a Riggle VTAF on the way for the Jelco, so another place to experiment (OK, to "play"). I hope to try a variety of woods, as well as slate, to see where it goes. I think I have enough space to add a second arm, so I'm going to try the SME Series III I have, with a Shure V15 III/Jico SAS that's sitting idle right now. I also want to mount my ancient Grado wooden arm and GE mono cart (VRII) so I can spin my 78s and mono LPs, but that has to wait for a speed controller.

I hope there's some time after the move. Lots of time.
 
No, that doesn't look anything like a VRII. Not sure what that one would be, but it looks like an early one. I don't have a pic of my VRII, but it has a bakelite (maybe plastic) rear body, with metal on the front. Styli are in a flip configuration. Cartridge is connected by inserting pins, as opposed to having pins fitted permanently as they are today. it means the pins must be soldered to the cartridge leads. When I rewire the Grado for mono I'll probably run the leads directly to the preamp (I plan to use a separate mono pre and amp).

I wish I could confidently say I'll make the time. I have two small kids, and this move is a big change. I hope we settle in quickly, but you never know. Plus it looks like I won't have a space for a workshop :thumbsdn:, so I'll have to figure out that problem.
 
my Lencos could not be any "idler," looking for someone who could build a basic plinth for the original top plate with removable armboard, sale or barter. feel free to PM me with any leads.
 
I finally got off my posterior:


Lenco PTP5 in soapstone with Jelco SA-750D and Midas DL-103. Mat is TTWeights copper/maple laminate and weight is also a 4lb TTweights jobbie. The second from last shot shows it on squash balls mounted in lengths of PVC pipe. That didn't work well. Last shot is on purpleheart blocks. I plan to try a couple of different types of wood to see if there's any difference/benefit.

How does the Jelco arm perform with the Lenco? I know it would be a drop-in replacement for the original top-plate but seeing as you went with the PTP, you could have run any tonearm. Just wondering.
 
Back
Top Bottom