• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

It's not just stereos that the kids don't want.

Our home is lovely and clutter free thanks to my influence. All of this "stuff" is packed, labeled, and stored on the many, many, many shelves I built in the spacious basement of our home.

Someday it will need to go somewhere. As we near retirement I have been talking to her about letting it go. I could see this dilemma spawning a whole new industry.

True. Just ask Frank and Mike. (American Pickers)
 
Yeah, as Will S. said, it's mostly attacks toward millennials from baby boomers. "Millennials" this and "millenials" that. "Millenials are so lazy." "Millenials don't participate in the economy enough." Stuff like that. Our student loans are through the roof on top of the fact that a lot of things are proportionately more expensive now, so yeah it's hard for us to have money. The experience requirement on many jobs that we're otherwise qualified for means moving up the ladder is harder and slower.

The student loans are crippling your generation and what needs to happen is for your generation to have the collegiate institution held responsible for what they are producing. THEY GET THEIR MONEY. What do you have to show for it? It should sustain you.
If they had any stake in your outcome such as, getting paid over time as you grow in your life they would be doing a better job.

It used to be. If you wanted to teach at the higher levels you had to prove your worth to teach. Get a following. It was not that long ago. 1950's

Today anyone who will stand in front of a giant class and is able to speak broken English as a path to citizenship........ is what you see.

You might see your professor who gets paid awesomely. The Universities and it's reagents have tremendous privileges you know nothing about yet you pay for it.

Audit any State University and see it's land holdings alone are staggering. This all started to really grow in the 1960's. Millennials and later generations needs to see this and maybe help change it.
 
It used to be. If you wanted to teach at the higher levels you had to prove your worth to teach. Get a following. It was not that long ago. 1950's

Today anyone who will stand in front of a giant class and is able to speak broken English as a path to citizenship........ is what you see.
You speak from ignorance and prejudice.
 
So the younger generations (millennials?) are attacking baby boomers through the media? I don't watch the news a lot, it's horribly depressing and I don't think my 7 year old needs to see all that, can you explain how?

Seriously....

The nightly news is no place for a seven year old and Dr. Seuss is where he belongs.

image.jpg

But if he was thirteen, I'd say a man can't go forward unless he knows where all other men have been !! A smart man learns from the mistakes of others and a stupid man.....well, we all know what happens to them !!!!!
 
The student loans are crippling your generation and what needs to happen is for your generation to have the collegiate institution held responsible for what they are producing. THEY GET THEIR MONEY. What do you have to show for it? It should sustain you.
If they had any stake in your outcome such as, getting paid over time as you grow in your life they would be doing a better job.

It used to be. If you wanted to teach at the higher levels you had to prove your worth to teach. Get a following. It was not that long ago. 1950's

Today anyone who will stand in front of a giant class and is able to speak broken English as a path to citizenship........ is what you see.

You might see your professor who gets paid awesomely. The Universities and it's reagents have tremendous privileges you know nothing about yet you pay for it.

Audit any State University and see it's land holdings alone are staggering. This all started to really grow in the 1960's. Millennials and later generations needs to see this and maybe help change it.
The state universities are also a lot cheaper than their private counterparts and nobody is getting rich being a college professor. Tenure is a good deal, but it's hard to come by and still won't always move a professor into the upper middle class.
 
You speak from ignorance and prejudice.

Much truth there Dave and you know it. It is not a prejudgment when your kids tell you what they are doing in College.

It used to be a professor who was popular and respected had FULL classes and a new or professor who was nor respected could not fill a class.

My sons instructors in his Chemical Engineering classes were from Asia and India. University of Minnesota. They tough a class size over 100 in a auditorium.
He never met the professor who was listed.
 
Having inherited a couple of "collectors" collections over the years has made me very determined to not do this to the ones I love when it comes my turn. What may mean the world to someone doesn't necessarily mean that it's a priceless heirloom to me. There's no doubt lots of my treasures will be looked at in the same fashion so I try hard to keep my collecting down to a bare minimum..
 
Having inherited a couple of "collectors" collections over the years has made me very determined to not do this to the ones I love when it comes my turn. What may mean the world to someone doesn't necessarily mean that it's a priceless heirloom to me. There's no doubt lots of my treasures will be looked at in the same fashion so I try hard to keep my collecting down to a bare minimum..
Perfect
 
Just drop all the crap and get back to the original discussion about inheriting your folks GEAR - and hopefully not their prejudices.

So saying instructors from other continents who's first language is NOT English makes me a bigot.
Prejudices are PRE JUDGING. WHERE DID I DO THIS?????

I did not start this flaming in fact I ignored it till it got personal.

Name calling and labeling is not what I did.

What have you offered to the OP's post? Pushing your misunderstanding of a word?
 
Much truth there Dave and you know it. It is not a prejudgment when your kids tell you what they are doing in College.

It used to be a professor who was popular and respected had FULL classes and a new or professor who was nor respected could not fill a class.

My sons instructors in his Chemical Engineering classes were from Asia and India. University of Minnesota. They tough a class size over 100 in a auditorium.
He never met the professor who was listed.
More than half of grad students in American universities come from asia and India. Far more than that in the sciences and engineering. That's the pool from which professors are drawn.

Big classes at lower levels have always been the norm at large state universities. It thins out quite a bit in the upper levels.

We seem to be at a high point in American anti - intellectualism. It's not a surprise that the best and brightest at our universities were born elsewhere.
 
So saying instructors from other continents who's first language is NOT English makes me a bigot.
Prejudices are PRE JUDGING. WHERE DID I DO THIS?????

I did not start this flaming in fact I ignored it till it got personal.

Name calling and labeling is not what I did.

What have you offered to the OP's post? Pushing your misunderstanding of a word?

Not to speak for anyone else, but I find the following quote problematic and I suspect that's what's bothering others as well:

It used to be. If you wanted to teach at the higher levels you had to prove your worth to teach. Get a following. It was not that long ago. 1950's

Today anyone who will stand in front of a giant class and is able to speak broken English as a path to citizenship........ is what you see.

To me it sounds like you're saying that foreign professors are of a lower quality and are simply doing it as a citizenship scam. Perhaps you'd like to clarify?
 
When I moved to Fairbanks in 1987, I took nearly all my stuff up in a mini pickup. Coming back down in 1992 added a shipped pallet to the pickup load. Now we own a house, and I don't think 20 pickups would hold all our stuff. I admire folks of any age that take a minimalist approach. My crap will burden someone when I'm gone, I'm afraid.
 
Back
Top Bottom